Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all aspects of electric pylon racing here.

Electric Setup for QM15

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Alabama Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Setup for QM15

I am looking for suggestions for inexpensive (Hobby City or similar) components
to set up in a QM 15 racer (Greg Doe P39). This plane was never flown as I finished
it right when the QM event was ending.
Motor
Prop
Battery
ESC
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am looking for a fast setup, comparable speed to what they flew with glow.
Thanks,
Brad

Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric Setup for QM15

Brad,

Long time no see! Just spotted this. I made a successful conversion of one of my QM15 Stingers (it last flew in 1992, been gathering dust since then) using the setup taken straight out of my upgraded Stryker. The components are:

MOTOR: E-Flite Six Series brushless, 28 mm diameter, 2700 KV rating
BATTERY: Common Sense R/C 3S1P x 2200 mAh lipo
ESC: Great Planes Electrifly SS-45 Silver Series
PROP: APC 6 x 4E

I had to slide the battery as far forward as possible, but with the long nose on that airplane (typical, since they all were designed around those light .15 glow engines) the CG came out OK. The all-up weight was exactly the same as before, 40.5 oz. With the prop turning at 24K, the speed and handling are just about like what I remember with the Nelson .15 except much quieter of course. If Jerry Small hadn't invented EF-1, I'd be lobbying to race this sort of thing locally.

Cheers,

Duane
Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: DHG

Brad,

Long time no see! Just spotted this. I made a successful conversion of one of my QM15 Stingers (it last flew in 1992, been gathering dust since then) using the setup taken straight out of my upgraded Stryker. The components are:

MOTOR: E-Flite Six Series brushless, 28 mm diameter, 2700 KV rating
BATTERY: Common Sense R/C 3S1P x 2200 mAh lipo
ESC: Great Planes Electrifly SS-45 Silver Series
PROP: APC 6 x 4E

I had to slide the battery as far forward as possible, but with the long nose on that airplane (typical, since they all were designed around those light .15 glow engines) the CG came out OK. The all-up weight was exactly the same as before, 40.5 oz. With the prop turning at 24K, the speed and handling are just about like what I remember with the Nelson .15 except much quieter of course. If Jerry Small hadn't invented EF-1, I'd be lobbying to race this sort of thing locally.

Cheers,

Duane
Duane,
Do you think the 3 cell 2200 has enough energy to fly the 2 minute heat I was know for! I had an old 12 cell (round cell) Formula One (Robbi Tigra) set up as a four minute racer. He who had covered the longest distance at the end of four minutes won. This flew much like a thinned winged Q500 with a K&B 40 As I was using 12x10 props it also made a great sport ship in that she had long verticals. Has the racing community given up on entry level racers that also make great sport ships? Is there a link to Jerry's EF-1.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
DHG

Konrad,

Hiya! Sorry I didn't see this right away. Yes, EF-1 is in beta testing now, and I can tell you it works great! Here's a link (edited so it doesn't get flagged, take out the random characters): ht_tp://ww_w.r*c*groups.c*om/forums/showthread.php?t=1178471

I just pulled molds for the front end for an EF-1 Loki, hoping to start on the main fuselage structure soon. The wings for these use the same templates as for Q40, just clip the span down to 52" max instead of 56". The wing area is 375 sq. in.

What a tangled web we weave!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM
DHG

ORIGINAL: Konrad
Duane,
Do you think the 3 cell 2200 has enough energy to fly the 2 minute heat I was known for!
Hey, 2 minutes wasn't bad back then!

I only flew that airplane a few times before EF-1 came along and I got distracted by that ... but I did run it 10-12 laps at a time, so the 2200 should be adequate. With a 4S there would be higher voltage, therefore higher current, so a bigger capacity would be required.

D.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Konrad
Banned

Duane,
You are being far too kind. (wait what does that emotacon mean )

What, this site doesn't allow linking to other points of interest? Is there some reason for this? Like some web BOT monster. I thought this site was dedicated to the exchange of ideas.[sm=confused.gif] At first read it looks like that link format is rather bothersome in the day of fast information exchange.

Gotta say I liked that ship! Can't say I like the idea of having to use wood/film ships. Did I read the thread too fast? I recall that after the mold was made the speed to replace a races was actually much faster after amortizing the time to make the tooling, about the tenth pull from the mold. Now fast forward 30 years, and I too love the nice builds of the wood laser cut kit. Maybe I'm just an old luddite. But I think the old dead fishes would still be fast, light builds and more curvy. Gotta love curves!

I still have some of those old dead fished that we could best describe as "factory seconds" unsellable. I have noticed that the weave in the layup is showing more than I remember, when we first pulled these out of the molds. Does the epoxy resin keep shrinking forever, well until I make a smoking hole in the ground?

I still remember that Rough River wall of fire! [X(]

All the best,

Konrad