Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

New Coaxial Handling

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

New Coaxial Handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Coaxial Handling

On an impulse buy, I purchased an Eflite MCX2 coaxial. I bought it because I thought it would help having the extra stability indoors and lower power. Needless to say, I think I outgrew the helicopter fast. I have the remote on higher rate, as well as the swashplate set to maximum agility.

Here's what's happening. When I come into a hard bank, like a quick sweeping turn around and try to pull out, it's like the blades sometimes lose their bite in the air and the helicopter stalls and falls down or sideways, losing lift. What is this due to? Is it because it's coaxial, or just too weak of a motor to pull out of certain moves?

Anyways, I really think I need to go back and get something a bit more powerful with a tail rotor. Something more agile than coaxial. Now, the MSR recommends itself for those coming from coaxial models. But, it uses the same small battery at 120mAH and total weight is 1oz. So what about the larger SR with 500mAH batt and 3.75oz? Would the SR still be controllable indoors like the MSR, or does it get a little out of hand? I want the SR, but not if it gets too wild at that size indoors. AS I said, right now I am unhappy with lack of thrust and power.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Beachcomber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Coaxial Handling

Let's see, yes it's because it's Co-Ax. Most, if not all Co-Ax helis don't like to do banked turns, at least not hard banked. I think it has to do with the upper rotor that you are not controlling. The flybar tries to keep it level, and hard banking slows the upper rotor down to the point it's not providing any lift. Not sure, but my best guess.

And no, I wouldn't try to fly an SR indoors. It's too large (unless your indoors in a gym) and less stable than the Co-Ax.

May I suggest a small single rotor with 45 degree flybar, rather than single rotor with 90 degree flybar. I think the Blade 120 has 45 degree flybar if memory serves. They are almost as stable as Co-Ax (because of the 45 degree flybar), but with more control and can do banked turns nicely (because they are single rotor).