Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Sick of heli makers knowingly selling crap

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Sick of heli makers knowingly selling crap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 03:04 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of heli makers knowingly selling crap

Collective pitch upgrade for Hummingbird coming? Oh boy, I can throw even MORE money at this thing!

You know, it really is criminal that companies sell these things knowing FULL WELL that in their stock form they simply will not last for more than a few flights before the motors start burning out. Oh sure, you have a warranty they'll tell you, but they ALSO know that anyone will soon tire of sending burned motors back to California every week all the time paying shipping costs, etc. and that will come to an end really soon and VIOLA! they've gotten away with selling an inferior product once again.

The other thing that cracks me up is that Century themselves on their own website offer "upgrades" to make their original product fly properly. Imagine going to Ford Motor Company's website and seeing an "upgrade" for your Taurus:

"Stainless steel bearings to replace stock rack and pinion bearings increases you steering response considerably"

or

"Special titanium brake calipers solve stopping problem. Of all upgrades, the most important one you can make"

And will the hobby store take it back? "Hell no, talk to Century. You have a warranty"

Will Century take it back? "Hell no, but we'll send you another motor"

Are you reading this Century? You're making ME pay more than double the cost of your stinkin' heli (high authority tail motor,brushless main,ESC's,gyros, etc.) just so I can make your defective product fly for more than an hour.

Why can't you just charge $279.00 for the damn thing instead of $79.00 and give us something that you know will work and last? That way I don't have to experiment with a million different options wasting time and money along the way just to make it work.

Stop insulting my intelligence.

Signed,

Irritated.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Charlie

Default RE: Sick of heli makers knowingly selling crap

Selling crap in there heli is how the keep the price down, so when you walk by it in a store the price looks good, and then you want to buy one. But little do you know, you have to spend another $200 to keep it running and fly right. But when you break it all down, they're the smart ones, and the consumer is the dummy for not doing his/her home work before buying. It's a company, they're in it to make money.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:37 PM
glennT

Ya, the cheapie helies are best compared to a demo version of software. More to pay if you want continue.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:27 PM
ChopperMike

Are you finished ranting? The HB is a good heli at a decent price. What more do you want?

And I wouldn't use Ford as an example. Any Ford I ever drove needed a lot of upgrades to work properly!

Mike
Old 02-20-2004, 08:36 PM
pgitta

Are you finished ranting?

Not yet.

The HB is a good heli at a decent price.

Based on what? Motors that burn up after 2 hours? "Hummingboards" that go up in smoke? Tails that spin like Peggy Flemming when the battery is half discharged?

What more do you want?

Thought I explained that in my "rant" I want a product that lasts more than a week. Especially one I paid over $200 for. If I need to spend more, fine. Just make it WORK at the price you charge, or take it back like every other store and product will do. This is the only industry that can get away with charging premium dollars with a "no return" policy. And no, I don't mean crash damage.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:00 PM
ChopperMike

OK, first off I've flown mine a lot more than 2 hours and the motors haven't burned up. Two the tail doesn't spin when the battery get down to half charge. And finally, I spent twice as much for my Hornet which IS a total piece of crap. I haven't gotten 1 decent flight out of that thing yet. Even after spending over a hundred dollars on upgrades to make it flyable. It still isn't. So, yes, the Hummingbird is a good heli at a decent price. Even if I have to eventually put better motors in it, I'm not going to complain considering how much I've stuck into my Hornet POS.

Mike
Old 02-20-2004, 10:33 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand both side, and what you are trying to say. But I mean there is pros and cons, never going to be perfect. I spend money on a lot of rc crap that is now I think back it not worthed, only worthed the experience. I recently just bought a aerohawk, which I shouldn't. But so far I guess Im satisfy with it according to the price. I crash it at least 10 time now, broke 1 tail blade and just finally broke the rotor head today while flying and 5mph wind smack it on the ground. Just order the new rotor head from raidentech (hear some bad thing about this place, run by criminal). But no choice... cheap... But i agree with pgitta, company could have make their stock product a better quality, but they sure on purpose make is suck so it break.. and you're tire of it breaking and you have to buy upgrade. THAT's why I have a dream.. someday.. i will buy a milling machine and make all this damn little part... using aluminum.. OR even MAKE my own helicopter....

I admire this guy right here, where he almost mod his all his helicopter by making his own part...
http://www.cuttingedgecnc.com/index.html

check it out, if you do have the budget, do what this guy does... milling and make your own stuff..
Old 02-20-2004, 11:00 PM
pgitta

OK, first off I've flown mine a lot more than 2 hours and the motors haven't burned up.
You must have much better luck than virtually every person posting about their HBs in this forum. I flew about 30 minutes/day and after 4 days it wouldn't get more than a foot off the ground at full throttle. Took apart the motor and the brushes were almost gone. So, can't explain your fortune.

Two the tail doesn't spin when the battery get down to half charge.
Again, a frequent complaint. What can I say?

So, yes, the Hummingbird is a good heli at a decent price.
I don't disagree with you actually. The $79 HB bare bones kit is just fine. Tough too, I might add. Just some of the components are terribly cheap (motors,batteries,mixer board)

What I'm saying is it can be a great little heli...

...for another $300
Old 02-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Banished Outside

I love my Dragonfly & Hummingbird

Let's face it, the tinkering and moddin' is all part of the FUN!

If they were perfect - you wouldn't be reading this forum!

Steve
Old 02-21-2004, 06:31 AM
lawnhawk

I agree that half the fun of this hobby is the fun that takes place on the bench.

You can't just walk into your local hobby store and expect Wal-Mart service. When it really comes down to it, these are not kiddie toys, they are high performance electronics with extreme heat and amperage tendencies.

When these motors burn out, it is normal wear, I don't care how short the time frame is. Motor brushes being worn after two hours is not a defect in materials or workmanship. The only way it is possible for micro helis to exist is through lightweight materials. The ramifications are electric motors that were never really designed for the job. Don't you think we'd all prefer to run 540 or 550 motors on our micros? A much more adequate motor for the job, but far too heavy.

The truth is the HB does not need any mods whatsoever to fly. If you took the time to balance and trim the copter, it flies fine, out of the box, no upgrades.

If you really think you're going to spend money only one time, and that your hobby store will exchange your heli every time a brush goes bad, then you're in the wrong hobby. Go to Radio Shack and get yourself a $19 car.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:23 AM
pgitta

these are not kiddie toys, they are high performance electronics with extreme heat and amperage tendencies

LOL! The Space Shuttle is high performance electronics with extreme blah, blah... THESE are hair dryers with big blades on them and that's ALL they are.

You can't just walk into your local hobby store and expect Wal-Mart service
Really? Why not? Why are they exempt from backing up their products? If I buy a hair dryer from Walmart and the motor burns out in a week, they'll take the whole thing back and I'll buy a better one. I don''t give two craps about the motors on these things being overdriven. Tough. Then put a disclaimer on the box that states that fact. "This product has a limited lifespan before replacement parts will be necessary" OR, just put a brushless motor in the kit and sell it for more.

If you really think you're going to spend money only one time, and that your hobby store will exchange your heli every time a brush goes bad, then you're in the wrong hobby

Typical snide, condecending crap. Not what I said at all, but go ahead and interpret however you wish.

And thank you for your gracious council on which hobbies I should be in.

Go to Radio Shack and get yourself a $19 car.
And I can think of somewhere YOU can go too.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:47 AM
acr1346

The fun of reading complaints, almost the same as working on an HB or Hornet. "Ford" bet they never had "recall". Firestone, wish
I had some of the tires they used on the Explorer. Ya gotta love the "lemon law". Try taking a new car back after the recall for a
full refund. Think about the fact you paid $200 bucks for 1/10 the plastic in a $25 model car from the toystore, or the R/C car
at toys-r-us, with radio, $59.99. When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow. This forum is the "learning"
curve. Know before you go, isn't always as easy to do as it is to say, but the research and knowledge you get here is the best defence
against the HB, Feda, Aerohawk, Pico Pro...etc................good luck, but never quit trying...........................
Old 02-21-2004, 07:56 AM
pgitta

but the research and knowledge you get here is the best defence against the HB, Feda, Aerohawk, Pico Pro...etc
You are right. Unfortunately, our research and knowledge come from other's experiences of being BURNED. Too bad so many have to throw their money away so others can "learn"

The stuff should just be made better.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:26 AM
ChopperMike

Actually I can explain at least one of the common complaints about the HB. I'm using separates, a 3 cell lithium and a GY240 gyro. I don't know, maybe using the Hummingboard it is a fact that the tail spins when the battery gets down to half charge. As far as the motor goes you don't necessarilly have to go brushless, there are other brushed motor options. I fly park flyers (planks) and I have hundreds of hours on them and the motors are just fine. Find the right motor and throw it in your HB and you've solved the problem for under $20.

Who knows, maybe I have got good fortune. Read the forums about the Thunder Tiger heli engines. A lot of people say THEY are crap, that's it's a lottery pick to get a good one. I have a TT.36 in my Century Hawk Sport that's been running strong and reliably for years.

Mike
Old 02-21-2004, 10:35 AM
lawnhawk

Ok I see pgitta is just going to WHINE this thread to death. I stated my opinion, and you can all see how highly defensive he is about it.

Pgitta you really took what I said personally and your reaction was uncalled for. Telling me to go to hell won't resolve the obvious issues you need to address. Say as much more as you want cuz I'm done.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 AM
pgitta

ORIGINAL: lawnhawk

Ok I see pgitta is just going to WHINE this thread to death. I stated my opinion, and you can all see how highly defensive he is about it.

Pgitta you really took what I said personally and your reaction was uncalled for. Telling me to go to hell won't resolve the obvious issues you need to address. Say as much more as you want cuz I'm done.
You wont hear any arguments from me about you being done. And I'm sure being done, you won't read this either (insert tongue in cheek)

You take people's words out of context, suggest that they are unreasonable to expect a retailer to stand by a very expensive product they sell, and tell them to find a different hobby.

I thought my responses were appropriate for comments such as yours.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:48 AM
coltech

Hey pgitta,

You just bought the wrong type of chopper.
With your attitude you should have got a Humble Bee. Dirt cheap. Does exactly what it says on the box.
I'm just loving this thread
Old 02-21-2004, 11:58 AM
pgitta

I think you're right. I'm sure it would do better than the one I have.

No, I'm just going to start saving now for a Logo 10. By the time I'm done, I'll have spent $700 (which is NOT my problem despite what some here have assumed), but I'll have a real helicopter that really flies, and the HB defenders meanwhile can scour the web looking for motors that will keep their Humble Be- er, I mean Hummingbird in the air for more than 2 days.

If I had done enough research first, I'd be a $250 closer by now.

Hummingbird fans - I got one for you cheap.

Oh, and a Futaba 6-ch airplane radio too...but I need to let you know the servos kinda burn out after every 5-6 flights.

But that shouldn't be a big deal. You still want it right?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Super-Hornet

Hi pgitta

I try to avoid this message (or cross fire) but since u going to go for Logo 10... I have to give u an headups first. Those bigger chopper are more stable BUT if you do crash it, the repair can cost will kill u....that is all.

Super-Hornet
Old 02-21-2004, 12:14 PM
pgitta

ORIGINAL: Super-Hornet

Hi pgitta

I try to avoid this message (or cross fire) but since u going to go for Logo 10... I have to give u an headups first. Those bigger chopper are more stable BUT if you do crash it, the repair can cost will kill u....that is all.

Super-Hornet
Thanks Super,

Yeah, I am aware of that fact, but like I said, it's not the money spent that bothers me, just money badly spent.

No cross fire, don't worry. And if I offended some people here, well its frustration, sorry. I'm not suggesting the HB doesn't have good qualities, like I said durability as far as taking a beating. But I stand by the inappropriate power and tail design, and lack of a disclaimer to the fact before you've basically lost your money to the store.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

You don't want crap don't buy Jap crap buy something good that is why I bought a Fun Piccolo made by Ikarus that are made in Germany not jap crap,just like my Nitro trucks guys said buy T-Maxx or Savage BOTH JUNK,I purchased a Team Associates Monster GT,cost me over $600.00 but was worth it just like my Piccolo I bought it RTF and it came with bearing upgrades and anti rotation bar and it was tested and trimmed out with the radio before I got it,cost me 500.00 but it was well worth it,so if you are going to buy crap then you have no reason to complain because you are the one who bought it no one held a gun to your head and made you buy it.[X(]
Old 02-21-2004, 11:16 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, SIMPLE AS THAT!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Mossie

ORIGINAL: Moe3754

You don't want crap don't buy Jap crap buy something good that is why I bought a Fun Piccolo made by Ikarus that are made in Germany not jap crap,just like my Nitro trucks guys said buy T-Maxx or Savage BOTH JUNK,I purchased a Team Associates Monster GT,cost me over $600.00 but was worth it just like my Piccolo I bought it RTF and it came with bearing upgrades and anti rotation bar and it was tested and trimmed out with the radio before I got it,cost me 500.00 but it was well worth it,so if you are going to buy crap then you have no reason to complain because you are the one who bought it no one held a gun to your head and made you buy it.[X(]
I stayed out of this as I dont have a HB till I saw this post. Im not sure if its pure ignorance or just straight out arrogance. What exactly is "Jap crap"? Do you mean Japanese products? If you do then you are refering to one of the most technologically advanced manufacturers on the planet. Im sure you have many Japanese and even Chinese made products in your house and workplace that have worked faultlessly for years. What brand is your Radio? Where was it made? I bet its not Euro or US constructed.
Dont write off products purely because its made in Asia.

BMWs breakdown sometimes and so do space shuttles (no disrespect intended).
Old 02-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Kenny-WR

I got a Aerohawk and it does fine for me ,I'm a beginner at the Heli's and I am happy with it .
It's not top of the line . Iknow that but it serves my purpose and that is to learn to fly a heli.
So I can go to my Century Hawk and hopefully not wreck that learning. As far as craft not flying like the sellers say . I fly fixed wing and I won't tell how many of them I have bought (lots)
and some just bearly fly if you hold your mouth right and alot of them tell you in the manual what to get to make it fly right (not on the outside of the box.) SO IT"S NOT JUST THE MICRO HELI"S .

Nuff said........Kenny
Old 02-22-2004, 03:20 AM
Dj Kriz

Jap Crap eh?

I know its cars, but the japanese made the Toyota Supra.
One of the most wanted and high quality sports cars.

So be carefull when you say Jap Crap!

Mossie is right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.