Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

x-rotation ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 12:37 PM
afac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-rotation ?

Hi,

I was wondering if any body flew one of those x-rotation mini-helicopter ( that you can find at www.raidentech.com). I am thinking of buying one, but before I wanted to hear the opinion of somebody who owns one. It kind of looks like the LRH lama twin rotor.

Thank you for your help.

Andrea
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
changed
Banned

Default RE: x-rotation ?

I flew the lama and it was quite neat. It was very stable and quite manueverable. You just have to remember not to fly it to far away, or you will run out of cord (splat!). I had no trouble flying it at all. I hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:14 PM
warren52nz

Hi Andrea

I have one of those x-rotation helicopters. It seems alright for an entrance level chopper but it's the first I've ever owned so I'm no expert. The main trouble is spare parts. Of course you crash a lot while learning and I've managed to fix it about 10 times but now it's a bit beyond epoxy glue. And I haven't been able to find parts. Certainly Raiden don't have any:

*quote"
Reply-To: "RaidenTech.com" <[email protected]>
To: "xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subject: Re: Parts for X-rotation helicopter
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:17:10 -0700
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158

No parts yet.

Thanks

Sincerely,
RaidenTech.com

*end quote*

Mine has some sort of problem which makes the two motors rev up and down randomly which causes it to spin around sometimes. It could be an out of balance problem due to the fixes I've made. Or it could be a faulty gyro. I read it has 3 gyros at one of the suppliers' web sites! Doubt it's true though.

Hope this helps
Warren from New Zealand
Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 PM
warren52nz

More on my X-rotation helicopter. I think the motors revving up and down while holding the chopper in your hand might be a red herring. I did some reading on piezo gyros and they sense angular velocity (speed of rotation). It may be that the model is trying to rotate slowly while you're holding it and is sensing no rotation so it tries harder. This is backed up by the fact that it doesn't seem to happen while it's flying. Although sometimes it starts spinning rapidly for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I had a breakthrough a couple of days ago when I re-balanced the flybar by wrapping a short piece of wire around one end and also replaced the whole tail section with a rod and cardboard fin (set up vertically like a rudder) to resist twisting. Now it will hover without me even having my hands on the controls if trimmed properly. Still having to fix it every couple of days or so from minor crashes. Damn it having no spare parts available!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:13 AM
warren52nz

I have done some more research and now am convinced that the radio controlled (untethered) helicopter described in this thread is really an XRB Lama tethered model in disguise. I've found extensive parts lists for the Lama and they look absolutely identical (except for the bits relating to tethered vs untethered such as the battery holder).

I've ordered some Lama parts to prove it and I'll get back to you later with a definitive answer.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
warren52nz

I ordered the lower mast assembly and it fits PERFECTLY although the little plastic clamp on the mast isn't exactly the same shape. Still, functionally identical.

The blades for the XRB Lama, however, are Styrofoam whereas the ones that came with my model look like they're styrene (MUCH stronger). The Lama blades disintegrate if they touch anything and the styrene ones will take a bit of a beating before they become unusable.

Anyway, I'm making my own styrene blades now for about 20 cents each. I've posted some info on this elsewhere in here if you're interested.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:58 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Does anybody know were I can get a spare servo for this model? Left & Right cyclic servo not moving after a crash! I've look on all spare parts list and don't seem to see it listed.......[]
Old 12-23-2004, 12:46 AM
warren52nz

Try Singapore Hobbies first. They sell Hirobo Lama parts which are probably identical.

http://www.singahobby.com/hir06.html

This place sells the "Housefly" which, as far as i can tell is a clone too.

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Airpl...e&Item=mtc9501

Otherwise try here. Probably the most expensive.

http://www.raidentech.com/xrotationrchel.html

I'd try to fix it if I were you but you have to be a handy guy.

Cheers
Warren
Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
aerosmith

I know rc-expert.com sells it cheaper with parts support.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 AM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Guy's thanks for your help, but it looks like every place I found that stocks parts, they all stock the same basic parts and I dont see anybody selling servos. So therefore Since a brand new Dragonfly V can be purchased brand new on ebay for as little as $129 complete, I will buy a new heli and keep the old one for parts!...............