Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Megatech HouseFly Rotor Head (blade) problem

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Megatech HouseFly Rotor Head (blade) problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Kasowitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megatech HouseFly Rotor Head (blade) problem

Hi, I recently just got a Megatech Housefly. I havent even gotten it off the ground more than an inch yet, after the first few attempts raising the throttle one of the blades flew off (not just the blade itself, but also the "rotor head" piece that it attaches to. This piece luckily clips back into place but now anytime I raise the throttle a little bit to try and take off this same blade comes flying off, it wont hold. Any suggestions, is this from a blade balance problem ? Should I super glue the piece into place ? Im afraid to glue it because then if it flys off it will surley break and not clip back into place. I am going to attach a picture of the blade, and where the blade came off of so you can get an idea of what im talking about since Im not sure on the correct terminology of the parts. What should I do ? I want to fly this thing ! Thanks for any help !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94999.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	210358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40317.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	210359  
Old 01-04-2005, 10:39 AM
Aero RC Guy

Default RE: Megatech HouseFly Rotor Head (blade) problem

Looks like you have a problem there. Same thing happened to me only thing you can do is go buy replacement blades mine came with an extra set i found it works good if you tape pennies to the bottom of the blades helps with balance.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Kasowitz

Its not the actual blade that is coming off though. I do still have the replacement blades that came with the HouseFly, but they arent needed, the blade isnt broke. Its the piece that the blade screws onto. You have a housefly too ?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:17 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Try contacting Megatech directly. They have good customer support. http://www.megatech.com
Old 01-04-2005, 02:14 PM
LTChip

The blade holder has broken. You have probably had some pretty good blade strikes. If you look closely there is a flange that fits over and behind the mating part where it forms a "waist". It is this flange that gives way. Super glue (CA) will work fine but you risk ruining the mating part because if it continually breaks you may end up having to replace it as well since you will have effectively "welded" them into one part.

This is the most commonly broken part for me as well. It apparantly is the weak point. You may want to order some Hirobo XRB foam blades (hobby warehouse has em), laminate them with tape. You will have to drill the hole out to 7/32". This will save that part from breaking.

Meanwhile, the part is available from ehobbies. It is 4.45 and I think you only get one which seems a little pricey for such a trivial part but the Hirobo version is even more $$.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Kasowitz

Thanks a lot LTChip !!! By chance, do you know the part # or have a link to the blade holder part on ehobbies ?? Thanks a ton !!!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:03 AM
LTChip

http://ehobbies.com/radio-control-he...-housefly.html

950106 is the part.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 AM
humveecrusher

First of all...make sure that the screws are as tight as you can get them. I've broken my blade holder several times. CA works fine as long as you make sure to get the blade at the right angle. It will last as long as you don't have a hard blade strike.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Kasowitz

humveecrusher: really ? tighten all the screws on the blade holders ? I thought these screws were supposed to be loose so that the blades could move freely ? Am I wrong ? Maybe that is my problem. If I am supposed to tighten them, what position do I tighten the blade in ? Thanks !!
Old 01-06-2005, 09:37 AM
humveecrusher

Not the screw that holds the blade it self, that needs to be loose....the 2 tiny screws in the holder. They tighten down on the nipple that sticks out as long as it's not broken. If it is, CA glue will work fine.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Kasowitz

Oh wow, I didnt even know I could do that !! Thanks a ton !!! Yes, luckily that little nipple piece that sticks out is still intact, for the moment. hehe Thanks !
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 AM
humveecrusher

It still might be a good idea to put a little drop of CA on it. It won't hurt a thing. Just make sure that the swash moves. All you have to do is dissconnect the linkage arm and move the swash back and forth so the glue doesn't freeze it up. I've had my blade fly off in flight and that's no fun, so a little CA kept it on. Remember if you have a blade strike hard enough it will still probably break. Just re-glue.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:57 AM
humveecrusher

I see you are in Ohio. Where abouts? I'm here in Columbus.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Kasowitz

Im up near Cleveland
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 AM
humveecrusher

ORIGINAL: Kasowitz

Im up near Cleveland

Ahhhh....nasty weather up there today. Did you get the blade holder fixed? How long is your battery time?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Kasowitz

Yep, Nasty weather..gotta love Sunny Cleveland! Im at work right now ....so I cant wait to get back home and take a look at it and give it a try. I might hold off before flying it, I need to order myself some CA glue. No Idea how long my battery time is yet, havent had a chance to really fly it, besides a couple 1 inch take offs that were nearly disasters. I dont have the thing under control yet. How have your experiences been with the housefly ?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 AM
humveecrusher

Just go to the store and get some super glue. Works fine. I've had great fun with my House Fly. After learning to set it up right and much practice it's a blast. I had to send it in cause it was spinning and wouldn't lift off, but it was an easy fix. There are two screws on the lower shaft inside the swash. Make sure they are tight. You can tighten them by popping off the link and tilting the lower blades back and forth exposing the screws. If they are loose the rotor will slide up the shaft and dissengage the rotor causing it to spin. It would be a good idea to make sure all the screws are tight, except the blades themself. This heli is a blast. Once you get it right it will hover 5 inches off the ground and hands off for a bit 5 feet off the ground. If it wants to go sideways upon take off you can adjust the lower link by turning it out a little at a time or use the trim. I have mine adjusted so it will take off straight up with no trim adjustment.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Kasowitz

Cool ! Cant wait to get back at it. I do have some super glue, I will use that. Yea when I was trying to take off before it kept trying to move all over the place, and I didnt want it to tip over, so I would cut the throttle. Hopefully I can get this thing to take off straight up like you did ! That would be awesome !
Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM
humveecrusher

Another thing to try is get it in an open place and spin it up a little them nail the throttle to ge it up a few feet then back off. I know that it is a little scary, but you have to do it sometime...lol. That way you can see how it behaves in the air. Also if you are on hard wood or concret....something smooth....you can see which direction the trim need to be adjusted. Keep adjusting the trim until it stays in one spot. Good luck!...and have fun!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Kasowitz

Yea, I have to kick up the throttle eventually ...Actually when the Blade holder first flew off it was from me giving it a lot of throttle trying to get it up in the air fast, was basically trying to do what you just said. I wanted to get the thing in the air, luckily the blade flew off before the heli got off the ground. The blade flew off in the opposite direction from where I was standing at about 200mph , that thing could be dangerous.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
humveecrusher

mine flew off about 5 feet in the air...droped like a rock. These birds are pretty tough.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Kasowitz

Whoah, that must have made your heart drop! Good to hear these things are tough, to me this thing looks very fragile. This is my first true RC helicopter. All I have used before was the Megachopper from Megatech which I wouldnt consider a true RC helicopter
Old 01-06-2005, 11:38 AM
humveecrusher

I was just looking at your closeup pic of the rotor. If you look close you will see that the rotor is down a little bit on the geared part of the shaft. I think that it will respond better if you move that up and center the rotor on the geared part of the shaft. Loosen the screws like I described and pull it up a little bit. I may be wrong but I think that it will respond better. At least that has been my experience.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Kasowitz

hmm, not sure what you mean, but I will have to go home and take a look at it to probably understand. I will post back what I find, and what I try Thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
humveecrusher

Take a look at your second pic. Look just above the swash/blade holder. You will see a small part that is just a little bigger in diamater then the top rest of the shaft. Kind of has what looks to be vertical lines in it. That Greared section is about 1/8th of an inch. The swash needs to be up to the top of that so it covers the hole geared part....not above or below like it is now. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.