Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info.

Flypaper, got any pics of this mod?

Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure my camera will do closups but will give it a shot.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
270win
My Feedback: (14)

So has anyone had to replace a motor in the XRB. BTW- I bought mine for $200 from a friend. I LOVE IT! But I'm having two problems recently. One is that I'm hearing a whining noise in flight. It increases with rudder input, it's not constant but it's there, anyone got any ideas what it is? I'm thinking that a motor is starting to go.

The other thing is that I'm only getting 5 minutes per flight now... I think the battery is starting to go. This thing has well over 150 flights on it by me, and my friend had it for about two months and flew it quite a bit too....

Any ideas? Is there a bigger battery that will work in the XRB?

270win
Old 12-11-2005, 01:49 PM
arcticflyer

I purchased an XRB after reading all the good stuff the guys on this thread said about it. I live 300 miles north of the arctic circle so indoor flight is about my only option due to wind and extreme cold. I am new to heli's with some airplane experience. The XRB is great! I have crashed hard twice which was my fault not the models. Replace the blades and keep going!
I have experiences two problems though. 1) When I took the model to the gym the other day I tried some extended forward flight and found that I had to hold full right to keep it going in a straight line. 2) I am having a problem holding a consistent hover above ground effect. The model wants to continue up or go back to ground effect no matter what the throttle setting. The continuing up caused one of my crashes into the ceiling when the blades hit the smoke detector. Thanks for any help! Skip
Old 12-11-2005, 04:22 PM
carlrich

I never could fix the Hirobo's desire to go at a 45 angle to the direction I wanted. I sold it and bought an Eflite Blade. It is MUCH more difficult to fly as the response is immediate and control throw must be much higher. It's taking some time.

Carl
Old 12-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

270win:
Mine always had a whine to it. The reason you hear it change with rudder is, one blade speeds up and the other slows down in order to turn it. My original batt. is dying to. I don't think they're all that good quality. I also have a Kokam 640 ma. that's close to the same size and runs for 15 mins.
Arctic: I've broken the blades right off and glued them together with hot glue no problems. Also bought a roll of Hockey tape for the blade leading edges from root to tip. really strengthens them up. It's vinyl tape very sticky. I've found it takes a lot of throttle jockeying too but I got used to it after a while. Also when the batt. gets down a bit throttle is more sensitive. Just try to keep ahead of it. That fix I did above with the slot helps the cross control a lot but doesn't take it out all together.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:35 AM
arcticflyer

Thanks Carl and Flypaper,
I might try your mod on the plate when I get tired of hovering and the basics. I really am not ready for fast forward flight but get brave and stupid on occasion especially in a large area like the gym. I never noticed the problem until the wide open spaces of the gym. From reading this entire thread as well as a thread on another site I think this is something that is characteristic of this design. I guess when I get ready for fast forward it will be time for a second heli and radio.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Wildjones

Hey thanks all of you guys for the great info and the great pictures and info bdavison! Will really help when i can get my hands on one of these which will hopefully be christmas...Cant wait ; )
This post im sure has helped more than a few people out =)
Old 12-12-2005, 11:58 AM
bdavison

Guys, check this out....!!!!
The new Hirobo XRB Bell 222 due out in 2006

Im gonna order one of these as soon as I can...That fuselage is georgeous.

Oh, and I am currently working on a modification of the BladeCX blades for the XRB. Plastic blades are gonna be nice. Ill post pics and a How-to section in here once I do testing to make sure it works correctly. I dont want to post it up here until I know there aren't any problems with it.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 PM
thecheatscalc

is it just me, or does that co-axial look a little large?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
bdavison

I think its about the same size, maybe a little longer.

Here's another one coming.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Wildjones

When in 2006 is it due out? Now maybe I should wait =P
Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
bdavison

Dont know, I cant find much info on it. They demo'd it at the Korean Hobby Fair.
Very few people even know about it, and even fewer know when its coming out. All I know is its scheduled for 2006.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
arcticflyer

HELP!
Had a bad crash several days ago.[:@] Hit the smoke detector on the ceiling and my XRB came down pretty hard from eight feet. [] I didn't chop the throttle soon enough and it spun on the floor for a second. [X(] Replaced the blades and flew again but noticed a vibration I didn't have before. I also noticed that in a hover now it moves like a top that is starting to slow down, kind of wobbling in hover. Hope that paints a picture of my problem.
I ordered a new main shaft thinking that it might be slightly bent just above where it comes out of the carbon shaft. But I can not tell for sure with the eye. Inspection of the flybar looks ok but who knows. I do know that one of the round holes that hold the flybar is cracked so the main shaft must be replaced anyway.
I said all of that to say this. How do you get the upper rotor head off of the main shaft? The directions in the book do not show this!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:33 AM
cvnhank

arcticflyer,
I crashed my XRB really hard against my door jam. My copter displayed similar problems. I replaced the blades, reset the pitch of the upper blades, and then retracked the upper blades. That did the trick for me. Hope that helps. Hank
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 AM
cvnhank

arcticflyer,
The upper rotor head is secured by two pins. I unscrewed the blade holders and then pulled the pins out. I might have damage the angle pitch screw. I couldn't get the pitch of the upper blade adjusted correctly. I ended up just buying the upper rotor head assembly for $13 bucks. That did the trick. Hank

bdavison,
Thanks for the heads up on the new XRB helis. I just love these things. Do you know if they will come in R/C configuration? Hank
Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 AM
bdavison

Im hoping they make the RC version of them. I dont care for the tether. No definite word yet though. We will just have to wait and see. From what I understand is that they are releasing something called the XRB V2 which is capable of having either of the Bell 222 fuselages. I dont know if they are interchangable with the Robinson 22 RC version or not. Hopefully we will know once they start shipping.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 PM
arcticflyer

Thanks Hank,
I ordered an upper rotor head today. My problem is I live so far out of the loop that parts take some time to get to me here in arctic Canada. I'm thinking about getting a second heli as a backup so the down time won't be so boring. I tried tugging on those pins with a pair of tweezers and could not budge them. Are they glued in? Sure like the looks of those new XRB's!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:38 AM
cvnhank

arcticflyer,
The pins are held in place by friction. I pulled them out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Hank
Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
woodymaxx
My Feedback: (4)

Hello I Bought my XRB from a guy and he didn't give me the little allen wrench that takes out the little grub screw on the lower main rotor gear. ( the one under the helicopter itself) I have a .050 one and it isn't small enough so I went to sears and a couple of other places and they didn't have anything smaller then what I have. Any one have any suggestions on how I can get one? thanks a lot
Old 12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Wildjones

Hmmm have you tried contacting Hirobo? I dont have an XRB as ofyet but am going to order one as soon as i have the last few $$.

Good Luck finding an allen wrench... =)
Old 12-18-2005, 12:40 PM
woodymaxx

well I E-mailed Hirobo but no answer yet but it is the weekend. earlyer I tryed asking helihobby about it and a few other things but didn't get an answer... maybe this week. anyways what I asked them also was, does the interior work in the remote controled one too or is it only for the teatherd version. it sure looks to me like it would. I'm tired of seeing a blank cockpit. lol and also does anyone think they will sell those new bodys shown above seprate for us guys that just want the new look and not a whole new chopper?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
cvnhank

woodymaxx,
I just bought a Wiha brand hex driver. It's .9mm/.035". I got it at the Helihobby store front (E-Hobbyhouse (818)609-1968)in Los Angeles. The part # is WHA96309. I cost $4.68. Good luck. Hank
Old 12-18-2005, 07:44 PM
woodymaxx

That sounds like it would work but I can't find it anywhere... did you buy it online ?
Old 12-18-2005, 11:21 PM
cvnhank

woodymaxx,
I bought it at E-Hobby store (same owner as Helihobby). I live close by. I suggest you give them a call and tell them the part number. Otherwise, maybe you can buy this driver from some other place. (Does anyone have leads?) Hank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.