Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 AM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

do you have a heatsink on the rear tail motor? or are you just putting heat compound on it?

yeah the instruction manual is a joke.... see robo's post for a muc better version of the manual.
http://www.venom-group.com/print_mot...NR2_Manual.pdf

Also what your describing to me sounds like you need to put the throttle all the way down, and the throttle trim all the way down and try it again and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Also check your dips like robo said. 1 3 and 4 are supposed to be on, and the rest should be off (I believe for the stock setup).

If not robo can help you tomorrow when he checks the forum =)
Old 04-06-2007, 12:18 AM
weeweeboi

I got a question. When i fly my heli the tail spins right constanly in air no matter how much trimming. When i am on the floor the tail works fine. I can control it. It stays put and when i move it left or right it moves. As soon as it gets in the air it spins fast. I push the controls left and it slows down but still spins. I push right it goes even faster. The weird thing is it works fine till i get in air. This occured near the end of my battery. I havent tried it with a fresh battery but still shouldnt happen,any tips? Thanks. Also after the move with it in luggage it was still in one piece.Thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
mrasmm

If it works fine when you are on the ground and not in the air, that is likely because of ground effect or GE. Look on the manual that robo posted http://www.venom-group.com/print_mot...NR2_Manual.pdf Look on page 3 and look at the gyro sensativity pot (it's actually a mixer pot, but that's ok). If the tail spins to the right, and the nose to the left you need to turn the pot clockwise, just a small adjustment. Usually you have to make these adjustments with the battery unhooked, and then hook up the battery and test. Hopefully that helps you out =)
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
rhersh

mrasmm, Well i had a heat sink on it at first then i had a little crash ( reason for super-skids) lost the heat sink so i just been useing the compound only. so far so good . Motor does'nt seem to get hot. Thanks for the response. Yea i did check the settings on my TX. Going to wait for my super-skids then give her another flite.

Randy
Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 PM
mrasmm

Ahh... gotcha =)

You might check your LHS if you are interested in getting a new one. My LHS sells the tail heatsink for 2 bucks, it would be in the e-flite section of the store.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM
robotronski

ORIGINAL: rhersh

I also brought some thermal heat sink compound from radio shack an put it on the tail motor ,it seems to work fine, only cost me 3bucks. I smear a little on every flight.
Randy,
are you just depending on the white grease alone to get rid of the heat or do you have a finned aluminum heatsink clipped to the tail motor as well?

The heatsink grease is used specifically to enhance the heat transfer from the metal motor housing and the metal clip-on heat sink. The grease fills in anytiny gaps and makes up for locations where there is poor metal to metal contact.

Honestly, I don't even run a heatsink on my Falcon 40 as the motor never gets that warm even after a 12 minute flight with a 2-cell Lipo (Never connect a 3-cellLipo to this heli, bad news, too much heat!!!)

I did fabricate a Cheesy heatsink fro the main motor out of a coke can, works fine. I figured that motor works a bit harder than the tail motor does.

Now on my Walkera 22E, I ran one all the time as it was an 11.1 V machine and motor got real hot all the time.

Just an FYI.

Good luck with the flying,
Robo

Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 AM
FiveOclockCharlie

The problem I was having was that the set screw doesnt stay tight.Even with Loctite on it. I tried to tighten it again last week and it stripped ! My solution was to drill the hole all the way through and use 2mm cf rod to hold it in place.I made it a really tight fit , so I have to force the rod in with pliers. Not real sure how well this will work , because I`m waiting on blades right now.I`ll post when I get to try it out.

ORIGINAL: smokestarter

ORIGINAL: ThePig0079

Has Anyone seen this Alum Head I wonder if it would fit?

http://www.cmehobbies.com/product_p/6033006.htm
Doesn't look the same as the one I have[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150105138303]purchased[/link] it seems to be missing the pilot holes for the flybar, although on my first flight attempt the heli seemed slow to respond to controls with the new piece, it was all over the place. I am tearing it down now and checking to see if my fly bar paddles went out of center. I have to say that I was not that impressed when looking at the machine work that went into this piece, I can see where their are differences between one side and the other when looking at the pegs that hold on the bearings. For twenty dollars for such a small piece I did expect more. Has anyone one else experienced problems when upgrading their head attachment as I have had?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 AM
rhersh

Yea, I'm going to my LHS sat. Going to pick one up. + i crashed again to night and had to order bearings for the rotor head core. Going to look for some blades for my Falcon 3D . Yea, i crashed that one too. I think my problem is that i over compesate on the sticks.

Which brings me to my next problem. I can't get that simmulator to work on my PC. So i'm going to have to take it to work and let the tech fix it. Luckly I work for a large cable CO. here in, always cold Ohio. But I'm not going to give up !

This hobbie is sweet. My wife just shakes her head ha !

Thanks for all the input,
Randy
Old 04-07-2007, 02:46 AM
chris_calderon

Hi guys,

I just got my Falcon 40. This is my first Heli. I have a few questions for you pro's.
Is it normal for the main rotor blades to move up and down so loss?
Is it normal for the Falcon to swing to the left when you increase throttle?
When you increase throttle the heli shakes alot is that normal?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 AM
mrasmm

the blades should be firm in the grips (but not so tight you can't move them either)... but I would describe that as more of a back and forth movement rather than up and down... so I dunno if that is what you are asking

if the heli hovers straight, then yes it's normal, all it means is that you are throttling up quite quickly. The falcon 40 does not have an HH gyro, so this is normal

these less expensive helis do usually wobble a bit. If you are realyl picky about it you can get them so they don't, but that takes alot of work, and as soon as you crash you have to start over. Basically if it is not wobbling enough to interfere with your flight, I would leave it the way it is until you get better and aren't crashing it too much... if you want instructions on how to do this PM me with your e-mail

Also, welcome to the group with your first post. robotronski is the resident expert around here, and there are several other very knowledegble and friendly folks around here =)

The only stupid q is one that is not asked, so ask away =)
Old 04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Eldorado

What "low cost" Li-Po battery and charger does anyone recommend for the Falcon 40?

Thanks,
Eldorado
Old 04-07-2007, 03:48 PM
mrasmm

you need a 2s lipo and a charger and something to balance the packs. Either a non balancing charger and a balancer, or a balancing charger...

If you want something cheap, check this out for a charger (make sure you get an 800mAh or larger battery with this charger)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESKY-BALANCE-CHA...QQcmdZViewItem

and the place I've found for batteries
this for a one pack $12
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=58

and for a two pack $22
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=77

if you get these batteries, make sure they have a yellow sticker on them before you use them with that charger... if not you could have an explosion/fire and your battery would probably be toast and so would the charger

hope that helps...

Also there are alot of other good guys in here that have different idea's and solutions that might work just as well or better =)
Old 04-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Riggerbill

Please state e-mail address
Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Eldorado

ORIGINAL: mrasmm

you need a 2s lipo and a charger and something to balance the packs. Either a non balancing charger and a balancer, or a balancing charger...

If you want something cheap, check this out for a charger (make sure you get an 800mAh or larger battery with this charger)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESKY-BALANCE-CHA...QQcmdZViewItem

and the place I've found for batteries
this for a one pack $12
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=58

and for a two pack $22
http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=77

if you get these batteries, make sure they have a yellow sticker on them before you use them with that charger... if not you could have an explosion/fire and your battery would probably be toast and so would the charger

hope that helps...

Also there are alot of other good guys in here that have different idea's and solutions that might work just as well or better =)
-What is balancing and why is that important with the Li-Po batteries?
also,
-Is the charger on the e-Bay link a balancing charger?

Thanks again,
Eduardo
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM
J-Cube

The ESky charger is a balance charger. Make sure it includes a wall plug when you buy it. The ESky charger is real nice for safely charging 2-3S Lipos.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 PM
robotronski

Go to page 21 Post #521 in this thread for a description about balancing.

I balance my packs everytime I charge

Got a pack on the charger right now...

Been using an Astroflight Blinky to the balancing for me now.

Robo
Old 04-07-2007, 08:31 PM
CBD00001

Hello,

I had seen a ToysRUs $30 helicopter and mentioned to my wife that it would be a interesting gift for Christmas. She was unable to get one but recently came home with a Falcon 40. It is nice but I have yet to remove the helicopter from the box yet. I have downloaded the FMS software and have played around with the software. My question is, is the FMS simulator accurate? If it is I had might as well sell the Falcon 40 rather than destroying it constantly crashing it just after take off every time I fly it.

CBD
Old 04-07-2007, 08:54 PM
hookedonheli

CBD, don't get discuraged so quickly. Even on a sim it is going to take some practice (days or maybe a week) before you will learn to hover with any consistancy. I'm not sure how close the FMS is to the real thing, I use the FSOne from Hanger Nine and can honestly say it feels the same as flying the real bird. If you have a coaxial heli on your sim I suggest you start out using that until you get comfortable with the controls and hovering, then move on to a fixed pitch heli such as the Falcon 40. Perhaps the number one rule in learning to fly helis is BE PATIENT.

"Fly it like you stole it!"
Old 04-07-2007, 11:54 PM
mrasmm

it takes a long time to get down heli's... and for beginners fms is really frustrating... and no it's not really accurate... it is good for orientation though

if you can get a copy of it, I would recommend getting the game indoor rc helicopter. It has a nice slow curve for beginners, plus it's fun to play. You can turn up the difficulty level on that game once you get better... and at that time you can go back to FMS.

The falcon 40 is much much better than the havoc heli (the $30 one), but it will take some more learning time. Just hang in there and stick it out and be patient. We'll be glad to help you through whatever we can =)

the link for that game is here
http://www.amazon.com/SUMMITSOFT-Hel...007874&sr=8-14

it's an older one, but it helps the learning curve.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 AM
CBD00001

Thanks, I will try one of those other simulators as FMS seems very touchy to me. I am planning on doing the RADD training once I take the Falcon 40 out of the box, nice and slow to get the feel of it.

CBD
Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Riggerbill

Hi: I have juist finished putting the wires on to a new motor. Had problem getting a good solder joint on the motor case.
Can someone tell me what is the reason for the resister and those caps.
would appreciate any advise. Thank's Bill
Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Eldorado

Hey Bill,
It's a capacitor to redice RF interference. Look on page 34 of this thread, posts # 839 & 840 for some soldering tips too. It really helped to heat the wires/metal you want to solder and then literally " drop the solder in".
Happy Flying,
Eldorado
Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Riggerbill

I think I might have burned out my 4 in1- I wanted to test my new motor soI un plugged the motor on the heli and plugged my new motor in to the 4in1. It did nor run. so I plugged in the heli motor again. It wont run either. I found out my problem.
In order not to lose the screws I screwes them in to the bottom of the new motor when I stored it awayThey were screwed in too far and must have shorted out the motor- When I plugged it in- Puff .I realised this later when I tried to turn the motor shaft . Screws were hitting the armature. Bretty Dumb eh. I dont know if the 4 i one can be repaired. the tail motor runs but not the main one. Seems to me I read some where that robo or some one on this script repairs them Do you know antin about this?
Bill
Old 04-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Riggerbill

Robo: Can you repair the 4 in 1 I think I screwd mine up. The tail motor runs but the main motor does not. Can this be fixed? Bill
Old 04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Rdrunner

Hi

I am a noobie and was glad to find this forum thru Google. I recently purchased a Falcon 40 from Xheli, I am a beginner with this type of heli, did own and hover a few times and ended up ( down ) with a tail boom with my Kyosho Concept 30 ( replacement parts was Ouch!!! and hard to find ). I read in the beginning pages that you pro's fine tune this heli, could some please explain how this is done and is the investment for the Super skids and accessories, help with stabilty since I have crashed the Falcon several times

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.