Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Bones27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Michael, I assume the CX2 TX and RX worked before you moved it to the Falcon? Did you move the RX and 3-in-1 or just the RX and then used the component you posted above? Have you tried to re-bind the TX and RX? Yeah I know just a bunch of questions, but I don't know anything about a CX2 or much about a 2.4 ghz system. I hope maybe one of the questions will jog something in your memory. I thought that you might have mixing problems but never thought you would have TX/RX problems, and then for it not to work when you move it back to the CX2, weird. Best wishes to the wife and her family.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
USHobbySupply

Hey bones,

Yes, the CX2 tX and RX worked a charm before i touched them (damn me). I moved just the RX and then used the component listed above.

I have not tried to re-bind yet, have not found the directions for that yet.

So, to keep this on topic, my CX2 TX/RX mod to the Falcon40 has not been successful thus far.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:56 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: gpach

To the falcon forum members. I will be getting my new falcon 40 this thursdaysih. I believe there is setup links on the page that should help me get going. My question is regarding the batteries and the reciever.

I have a Blade CX2 that uses 7.4 V 850 MAH batteries. I believe they are lighter than the batteries that come with the falcon 40 and have a higher mah rating. Can they be used on the Falcon 40 even though the voltage is slightly lower than the stock batteries?

The other question is can I swap the reciever from my CX2 to the Falcon 40? The one in the blade is a 5 channel 2.4 Ghz.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

the Tx and Rx should swap out fine, just the main problem is the FET's, the cx2 has 7313's only rated at 6A cont each if they are sunk, the main motor on the falcon could easily draw 8A or more in normal flight, so that's not really an option that way, if you wanted to get some other fets and put them in there it would work. The cp pro uses the same motors as the falcon 40 and it uses 7413's rated at 9A each, you'd need 2 of those in piggy pack on the main motor and 1 for the tail. You'd also need to figure out which is the main channel and which is the tail channel. Usually the main motor goes on ch3 and the rudder on ch4.

If you have a seperate receiver and 3 in 1 on that cx2 setup you have, then you could easily split out the 3 in 1 out of the 4 in 1 out of the falcon and plug it to the receiver from the cx2. I could walk you through that, and that would be a whole lot less mods than the previous way.

If you used the blade cx2's rx and the blade cp pro's 3 in 1, it would work like a charm =)

About the batteries, I dunno if that q has been answered, but yes they will work great =) The voltages actually are much more comprible than you might think. The NiMh's go from about 8.7 down to 7v, and the lipo's go from about 8.4v to 7.2v or so.

i dunno what happened with mike's heli though =( you didn't get it working for a sec and then try to spin up the heli did you? If you did, then it's likely that you fried the fet's inside the cx2's stuff.

The rebinding info is in the manual page # 39-40
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...CX2_Manual.pdf
Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 AM
mrasmm

Note: For safety, disconnect both main motor plugs from the 4-in-1 control unit (as shown on page 16)
before proceeding. Once the binding process is complete and the flight battery is unplugged from the
4-in-1 unit, reconnect the main motor plugs to 4-in-1 unit (as noted on page 19).

• In order to bind the 4-in-1 control unit’s receiver to the transmitter, you must first insert the Bind Plug (included
with your Blade™ CX2 and replacement 4-in-1 control units) into the “BAT” opening on the receiver. Then you will
need to power on the 4-in-1 control unit by connecting the flight battery BEFORE powering the transmitter on.

• When you connect the flight battery to the 4-in-1 unit with the bind plug inserted into the “BAT” opening on the
receiver, you will see an orange LED blink rapidly on the receiver itself.

• Once the orange LED on the receiver begins to blink, turn on the transmitter. The transmitter will immediately
enter bind mode. Then, once the orange LED on the receiver and the red LED on the transmitter turn solid, the
4-in-1 unit’s receiver is bound to the transmitter. Now you will need to power down the 4-in-1 control unit and
transmitter, and remove the bind plug from the receiver.
Note: It is extremely important that you remove the bind plug from the receiver once it has been bound
to the transmitter. If you do not remove the bind plug, the receiver will enter bind mode every time the
4-in-1 unit is powered on.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 AM
USHobbySupply

mrasmm, your the man. I wont get to try this again till later, but i'll give the instructions a read.

ps. Nope, did not try to spool up. just tried cyclic control, no, no,no throttle :> :> No magic smoke escaped the CX2 3&1, thank god.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:35 AM
gpach

Mrasmm, you mentioned that one can take the 4-1 that comes with the Falcon and "split out" the rcx portion (this would make a 3-1 out of it). Then connect/interface up the 6100e receiver that came with my cx2 to this modified 4-1.

Is this a very complex procedure?

Regards
Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
mrasmm

hehe, good deal =) you wanna keep that smoke in there, makes the electrical genies happy and they get their job done =P
Old 10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Ferdi25

Hello all.. I recently crashed my f-40 into my entertainment center and broke one of the main rotor blades. Before I replaced the blade I removed both of the old ones and checked the main rotor shaft for any wobble (none). Everything on it looked fine. I replaced both blades with a new set that I had, and when I went to spool it up my heli shook like an unbalanced washer machine. The blade screws were snug but not too tight, and the fly bar paddles were also level with my skids. I've crashed this thing plenty of times and never had any problems before. If any one could give some input on this subject I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
mrasmm

you might need to balance the blades, pm me with your e-mail for a guide =)
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
USHobbySupply

Yes, often when you replace blades you have to re-balance. Just one of those things. Not every time, but often.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Agador Sparticus

Guys,
I broke a flybar rod right at the end of the collar weight. Do you think if I shortened the opposite flybar rod so it is the same length as the one I broke that I will be able to fly again? Or does anyone have a spare rod? I have spare stock landing gear parts for trade.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Bones27

Kevin, just loosen the set screws and slide the flybar so it is even on both sides of the head and reinstall the paddles and weights. If you have a hobby shop close to you you can by some 2mm CF rod and cut your on flybars. I don't think it will make that much difference just being a 1/2" or so shorter though.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Agador Sparticus

I did'nt realize there is only one flybar. I thought it was 2 different pieces. I will balance it out tonight and post my results.
Thanks again Bones.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
USHobbySupply

It wont make that much of a difference. To compensate for a shorter flybar, you could add more weights to the end to help the dampening effect.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
gpach

Help !

Just got my Falcon 40. Put the training wheels on so I don't take the rotors out too quickly.

Put a lipo in from my CX2 while the stock batteries are charging. Took it out to the garage where I have a bit of clear space. I can control the tail as it gets light with rudder input no problem. The heli wants to "drift" real bad to the left (tail away). I try to compensate with right stick to hold it but it wants to tip over.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good link for initial setup of this heli? I have it more or less balanced at the flybar it just seems a bit uncontrolable.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 PM
USHobbySupply

Your Heli (and FP's and most CP's) will always want to go left, you have to fly out of that. It will become second nature.

Look at this link for setup:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
gpach

Thank Michael. Am heading there now.

Regards
Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 PM
BillSchmarr

Radio interference? I was just reading an ad for the Spektrum DX6 and it's 2.4 GHz frequency. It was talking about no interference from cell phones and wireless routers, to name a few. While I'm learing in my basement with my Falcon, I was just wondering if my cell phones and computer wireless router could be making this a little harder than it's supposed to be? Does anyone have any expertise in this area?

Bill
Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM
USHobbySupply

Wireless routers and cell phones will not effect your 72mhz radio.

What does effect it is electrical interference from motors, pumps and other high impedance motors. Also, metal to metal parts rubbing/spinning against each other can cause rf noise, which would include 72mhz. That was the whole idea behind 2.4ghz, is that the mechanical and electromechanical rf does not get up that high, so 2.4 ghz radio gear is not affected by that kind of rf. Of course, come to find out, that they can be sensitive (but not in theory) to other 2.4 ghz signals.

I have an old fan in my basement that puts out all kinds of rf. I have to turn it off when doing setup or test hovers or flying my 5#5.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:07 PM
USHobbySupply

worked like a charm. now the cx2 is back, and i can try the #4/Falcon40 again.

Michael
ORIGINAL: mrasmm

Note: For safety, disconnect both main motor plugs from the 4-in-1 control unit (as shown on page 16)
before proceeding. Once the binding process is complete and the flight battery is unplugged from the
4-in-1 unit, reconnect the main motor plugs to 4-in-1 unit (as noted on page 19).

• In order to bind the 4-in-1 control unit’s receiver to the transmitter, you must first insert the Bind Plug (included
with your Blade™ CX2 and replacement 4-in-1 control units) into the “BAT” opening on the receiver. Then you will
need to power on the 4-in-1 control unit by connecting the flight battery BEFORE powering the transmitter on.

• When you connect the flight battery to the 4-in-1 unit with the bind plug inserted into the “BAT” opening on the
receiver, you will see an orange LED blink rapidly on the receiver itself.

• Once the orange LED on the receiver begins to blink, turn on the transmitter. The transmitter will immediately
enter bind mode. Then, once the orange LED on the receiver and the red LED on the transmitter turn solid, the
4-in-1 unit’s receiver is bound to the transmitter. Now you will need to power down the 4-in-1 control unit and
transmitter, and remove the bind plug from the receiver.
Note: It is extremely important that you remove the bind plug from the receiver once it has been bound
to the transmitter. If you do not remove the bind plug, the receiver will enter bind mode every time the
4-in-1 unit is powered on.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 PM
gpach

Regarding 2.4 mhz in interference

Not sure what freq bluetooth runs on but I was flying my cx2 and talking on my cell phone (bluetooth wireless) and everytime I moved the sticks I got some noise in my earpiece. The bluetooth signal is very weak and doubt it would interfere with the heli though.

With regards to motors (michaels post). I suspect that anything that generates a spark (brushed motors) etc can create high frequency noise. I suspect this is why our motors have capacitors across them (capacitors will not pass DC but will pass AC. The larger the capacity (farad units) the lower the frequency it will start passing on). To some degree this helps take spikes out (protecting the electrical side) and reducing the RF noise component.

Regards

Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM
gpach

Falcon 40 Parts

To anyone interested, I have the following parts from/for falcon 40:

4-1 reciever
Transmitter
NiMh Charger
2 - batteries

The amount of use is approx 15 mins of trying to hover (just got the heli last night)

Am swapping out to a different system and don't need these.

PM if interested

Regards
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 PM
BillSchmarr

Thanks for the info on my question about the radio interference, gents.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM
RJO

Well Im a newbie to the heli world. I have gotten pretty bored with my coax, doing ok with the sim so I got the Falcon, cant beat the price. Thinking I was going to go from coax master to fp master in the same night was quite a wake up call. I couldnt even get the thing off the ground. kept sliding around the garage. Thanks god for training gear, which Im not so sure may not be part of the take off problem, and the fact that im terrified to give the thing to much throttle in the garage!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 PM
USHobbySupply

Yup, they are a whole different beast. COAX's do teach some skills, but will not teach you everything. However, keep at both and your skills are bound to improve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.