Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Century Hummingbird

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Century Hummingbird

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 11:10 PM
lvjax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Century Hummingbird

In case anyone is interested, I just ordered my Hummingbird Kit from Century Helicopters.
The Gyros are on Backorder and will be for 7-10 days according to Nancy at Century, but once they arrive they will ship it to me.

I ordered the whole kit, i.e. Helicopter, Radio Transmitter, and all the accesories that come with it.
( CN1020COMJ Hummingbird Electric Combo with JR quattro radio --$324.95)

Since this is my FIRST ATTEMPT at Helicopter flying, I am excited about getting it and trying to fly it.

I also ordered the "Crash Kit", ($24.95) and Trainer Gear.($9.95)
The TOTAL for all of this came to $370.79 and that INCLUDES SHIPPING.

I didn't think that was too bad for a "Starter Chopper" for a beginner.

What do you guys think ??
Old 02-24-2003, 12:53 AM
skylark_man

well i just orderd a skylark pretty much identical in size to the humingbird and will be here this week. and got the same training gear that they sell for the humingbird because it was much cheaper than other websites and would work the same for any micro. keep posting and tell me when you get yours and ill tell you when i get mine because we're on the same boat here.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:21 AM
lvjax

Default Skylark vs Hummingbird

I almost bought the Skylark, but I heard different things about it and I was not sure.

Is this a good Heli for beginners ???

Is it sturdy ?? ( Gravity Damage ? )

If it's worth the money, I might get one of these too !!

I will let you know when it arrives....but I don't expect it for a few weeks...

DiD you order yours from that place in Hong Kong ( on eBay?)
Old 02-24-2003, 01:36 AM
skylark_man

well the skylark is made in hong kong i think... i was close to buying one from a guy in hong kong from ebay, but because i wasnt sure about getting it from a guy on the other side of the world, i got mine from a of guy in california of of ebay for $245 with shipping.

then that plus the training gear and its shiping equal around $260. but then the humingbird might have some better qualitys to it i dont know.

mine should be here sometime this week i hope and ill tell you when it does
Old 02-24-2003, 07:17 AM
imeins

Well, I hate to sound like I'm doing a "me too, me too" but I just ordered a FEDA (Hummingbird) from Robert here in Oz. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be terrorising all who live under this roof (cats, dogs, wife!!). Got a spare battery too but did not order a training undercarriage, I'll make one instead (I think).

Then within a few weeks I'll hopefully get the order for the Corona happening as well. Meanwhile it's back to G2 and the Picollo model to practice.

Ingmar
Old 02-25-2003, 08:28 PM
moos4bkfst
My Feedback: (2)

I just got my hummingbird, and man is it awesome. it took me 20 minutes to complete it and it was hovering. I am a avid rc helicopter pilot and this is one hell of a heli for the price. everything fit perfectly, except one landing gear was longer than the other, so I just took it apart and cut them to equal length, but all-in-all, I would say buy it. its awesome. If your interested in pics and a review on it, there will be plenty of pictures and comments about in on www.nwhobbies.com. Now this wont be up till this coming weekend, but if your more interested in it check it out. As far as training gear, yea you will need it, I had to adjust the travel limits and put expo on my transmitter, then I was soing forward flight outside. I am getting about 6 minutes of good flight. with a couple of battery pack it will satisfy me need to fly anywhere, anytime. This this is durable, if have hit the wall, couch, ground and nothing broke. Good Job Century.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:33 PM
deus1978
My Feedback: (3)

lol Moos I thought my hummingbird was messed up because of the different size of the skids. After doing some research I found out that it is SUPPOSED to be that way. I'm glad I didn't cut it before I checked on it. This is definitely a good little bird and hovers nicely. This thing is pretty tough but I snapped off a nice chunk of the blade and the new blades don't come out until next week

Randal
Old 02-25-2003, 10:12 PM
skylark_man

why would you want it to be bigger on one side do you know cause that seems a bit strange for something like that being slanted because of the bigger side.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:34 PM
deus1978
My Feedback: (3)

Skylark_man,
To be honest I have no clue, I thought it was a bit odd myself. I went down to the local hobby store and the helicopter expert said they designed them that way. /shrug But he confirmed it is supposed to be slanted (I'm not sure of his knowledge on this micro bird but he seems legit). I'm assuming it has something to do /w balance, the longer skid is off set from the tail motor but I really have no idea. Until I hear otherwise i'm not going to cut it.
All I can say is that it fly's really nicely

Randal
Old 02-26-2003, 04:09 AM
imeins

Just in case there was any question about what the HummingDragonFlyBird is, this is clipped out of the corner of the full canopy shot on Century's spare parts listing. I'm not complaining at all (I just ordered a Feda!) but pointing out the obvious to those not so sure. Great to see all those US Feda owners will have a good source of spares.

Ingmar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58483_23991.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	36015  
Old 02-26-2003, 04:57 PM
moos4bkfst

OK so here is some more news, The skids are longer on one side to conter offset the torque of the baldes, this is so you dont have to add cyclic when taking off. I cut them equal, and I like it better. It flys alot better with a higher head speed, this is actuall a FEDA helicopter, they just changed a few things and then mass produced them. These are all produced in china so there are no copyright laws. As for how it flys...... ITS AWESOME. I am doing full forward flight and its wicked. For the price you cant go wrong, there is a review at www.nwhobbies.com. it is partially up now but will be finished tonight. I will try to add as much info as I can. I give century a pat on the back, from when I took it out of the box, I was hovering in 30 minutes. I need more battery packs, its so much fun to fly. good luck guys
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2003, 06:35 AM
moos4bkfst

More pictures......
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2003, 10:00 PM
skylark_man

Default its almost here!

i am so exited my skylark is scheduled to be here tonight. i'll keep you guys updated about when it comes
Old 03-01-2003, 07:56 AM
moos4bkfst

So my heli is flying great but man that motor gets hot, I wonder how long the motor will last, I this im going to put a speed 300 in on saturday with a 11 tooth pinion, I will let you know how it works. Also im haveing trouble with my on board esc/mixer, I can only get it to hover and no more, my battery pack is good I wonder if its the mixer or motor. anyone else having problems.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:45 AM
imeins

Yippee!!! I just got my Feda-DragFly today. Built it up and flew!! No problems. This is my first heli although I've been practising with G2. About a minute into the first flight I was hovering in and out of ground effect in a 6x6ft area I cleared in the loungeroom.. Absolutely brilliant, can't get the smile off my dial...

I've just started a "getting started" thread at my other hangout for those new to these birds..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=96539

Ingmar

Name:	59324_23991.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	36018  
Old 03-02-2003, 04:10 AM
skylark_man

well i Finlay got my skylark in the mail yesterday. i've been a little slow today just spinning it around the ground barely jumping, but i will try my first hover tomorrow. just getting a little more practice on a Sim i downloaded not the best but still does what its made for. ill post more tomorrow and maybe some pics.

HELI'S RULE
Old 03-02-2003, 04:57 AM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Eating crow for dinner tonight.....................

It's a credible copy.
Can't go wrong for $79.95.
Here's my "............bird" outfitted with

GWS R4P Sub Mini Four Channel Receiver
GWS Pico BB servos
GWS 100 FP main motor ESC
GWS 50 FP T/R ESC
Micro Z72 3" tuned tube antenna
CSM HLG 200 HH gyro ( great little 8 gram package)
2S 1020mah Kokam Lipoly pack

Getting 20 min average flight times.

I don't think Benny Hill thought much of it nor did my bride who took the pics in out entertainment center room.

Now be gentle with me boys.....................Heh, Heh

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major, USAF
Retired

Name:	59510_13494.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	36019  
Old 03-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Hoverup

one more...........

Name:	59511_13494.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	36020  
Old 03-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Crawler
My Feedback: (1)

Hoverup,

Do you have a link where you got all your GWS componets?

Thanks
Brad
Old 03-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Hoverup

http://www.balsapr.com/
http://www.helihobby.com/html/piccolo_electronics.html
http://dreamhobbies.com/dreamhome.htm
Hope these help. The CSM HH gyro takes the place of a mixer so you don't need a separate circuit or a computer Tx to fly.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
USAF, Major
Retired

Name:	59535_13494.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	36021  
Old 03-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Crawler

Too Cool Thanks a bunch !!!!!!! I'll check them out and if I have any problems assembling it I know who too contact.

What motors are you using for Main Rotor and T/R

Thanks again

Brad
Old 03-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Hoverup

Stock motors as supplied by Hong Kong through Century. 280 main motor and the standard Piccolo tail motor.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major, USAF
Retired
Old 03-03-2003, 01:16 AM
stevenyc1

The Piccolo was very crashworthy and robust- usually just popped off parts in minor crashes- can you Hummingbird owners say the same for the Hummingbird?

How suitable would a HumBird be for learning nose-in hover?

What are the average flight times you guys are getting with the batts as supplied in the Combo package from Century?
Old 03-03-2003, 02:10 AM
moos4bkfst

Li-Poly batteries in HB 15 minutes flight
I just put some 1020 mah li-poly batteries in my new HB and MAN.... I am getting about 15 miutes and more flight time and its 3 oz lighter that than the nimh....... This is great, I also upgraded the motor to a speed 300 with a mpjet 11 tooth pinnion and that makes all the difference in the world. I have a little hight head speed at lower throttle, and it flies much smother....any question let me know. As for the nose in flight no problem, if you can master this electric, you can easly fly gas...HAPPY HOVERING
Old 03-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Crawler

Where did you purchase your Li-poly???? Did you assemble the pack yourself or did you buy them that way?????

Thanks
Brad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.