Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

BP Xplorer 364/HeliPro Blackhawk 500 EP

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

BP Xplorer 364/HeliPro Blackhawk 500 EP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM
KingCobra
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BP Xplorer 364/HeliPro Blackhawk 500 EP

Is anyone out there doing anything with this 'copter? If so, what have you done to it to make it a stable flyer? I've got the ARF from BP Hobbies and haven't gotten it to the point of an easy, stable hover yet. Can hover it, but constantly inputing corrections. Am I going to have to resort to metal upgrades? CC
Old 07-27-2008, 11:07 PM
noobflyer01

Default RE: BP Xplorer 364/HeliPro Blackhawk 500 EP

make sure your swash is level. when setting up the servos make sure all horns are 90 degrees with the throttle at mid and throttle trim at lowest point with idle up. then make small adjustment with the linkages from the servo arms to the swash. hope this helps. i have all my trims at center and make all adjustment with the linkages and the servo arms as close to 90 degress as possible.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Druss

First of all, you ALWAYS have to input corrections, there is no such thing as hands off hovering for these things. You might be able to get it hovering for a couple seconds hands off but nothing like with a co-axial.

If you have a computer radio then put in some expo, try 25% to start.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 AM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

I have a Blackhawk 500 EP SE Pro..... its all metal head/tail. i love this bird! it is by most powerfull, quickest in my bunch. i took the time to set it up so theres no trim needed on my radio at all. just keep at it.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
KingCobra

Thanks for all the input. When I got mine, a very experienced club buddy helped with coaching on the assembly and initial setup, so all is level and 90 degrees where it is supposed to be level and 90 degrees. Then late last year he lost his battle with cancer and I haven't found a new mentor since. After a previous repair, it didn't seem as stable as when it was new. I've got it back reasonably stable in a hover after again replacing the spindle, rotor grip bearings and rotor grips. I've had someone say the plastic rotor grips are the culprit; they allow too much secondary motion of the main rotors. I'm looking into availability of metal grips. BP Hobbies is supposed to offer them, but there is some confusion on the illustrations on their website.

Ginnz, where did you get yours, and do they stock parts?

And why does this all seem so easy for everybody else??????????

CC
Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
swanpondwv

I just bought a BH500EP from KA-Planes. Mine is RTF and flys GREAT!!!!! I gave up flying my Blade CP when they first came out years ago. Way too unstable for me. For my first flight, I made a hula hoop training gear. Then I graduated to .30 size training gear, which I'm still using. If you can't fly this heli, I don't think your ready to fly any single rotor heli. Find someone to help set your heli up. Then practice with a simulator. So far, I'm thrilled with the BH500EP.
Bill
Old 07-29-2008, 10:10 PM
KingCobra

Thank you for your opinion, but it amazes me how you can take a bare minimum of information and jump to the conclusion that I'm too imcompetent to be working with this heli. About 3 years ago I tried a Century Hummingbird and that turned out to be an absolute piece of garbage and a waste of $250. The biggest problem was that Century provided a meager amount of info that prevented a beginner to set it up correctly. But it ensured you were buying more parts from Century for repairs. I then started surveying the forums to learn that proper setup is an absolute necessity for a stable heli. I bought the books by Tradelius and Hostetler for basic information. (The Hostetler book is the better one for the money.) I have been working on my simulator for a couple of years, but anyone will tell you there is a big difference between a simulater and the real thing. I did not want a lightweight coaxial heli that is at the mercy of the least little bit of wind. I preferred something with the same type of controls found on the bigger glow copters so when I advance to those, I will be prepared. This heli seemed like an economical, decent way to go. Plus, being an ARF kit, I would be assembling part of it so I'd know how it was constructed when time came to repair it. I understand pitch curves and throttle curves, and I know I do not care for 3-D flying (which looks like controlled out-of-control flight). And I can maintain a reasonable hover and basic forward flight (to some degree). I fabricated my lightweight training gear out of hardwood dowels and wiffle golf balls. As I said in a previous post, I did have a great heli coach but he died last year, and I haven't found anyone locally that is both a good pilot and a good teacher.

Now the essence of my initial question was an inquiry of those that have worked with this heli in it's basic form in regard as to enhancements (aftermarket parts/upgrades?) to make it more stabile. You apparently purchased a completely assembled, set-up and test flown heli, so what do you have to contribute to the true subject?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

i actually bought mine used from a fellow canadian.... ;-)

from what i can see, he replaced the servos in it, and thats all, its bone stock. (all metal head/tail).

i just added a logictech 2100t/3100 gyro.... that made all the difference, oh yah, and a 40A esc for 4s, i burned up my original with 4s packs! other then that a set of cnc skids and thats all.....

i was kicking around the idea of repowering it with scorpion BL motor, but its insane fast/powerfull with the stocker on 4s already..... ill just leave it for now! :-)

and, i get all my parts fom mike at Ka-Planes. good guys.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM
KingCobra

Thanks for the info, ginnz. Mine has a metal head, but the tail rotor gearbox is plastic. I'll check with Ka-Planes for parts. BP Hobbies has some metal upgrade parts listed, but I've sent their "support" questions as there is some confusion on the website with the parts and I can't get an answer for clarification so I can order the parts. Guess they don't want to sell me anything. I've looked at the Ka-Planes site, but their parts listing differs fron BP Hobbies. Thanks again. CC
Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look if you have problems of even fixing it. And you get all this help, but still, you cant get on ur feet and actually fix it. Ask some help from ka-planes or
take it to you're local hobby store. They'll charge you an arm and a leg. But will be enough for you. But whats great, learning so it wont happend again. By the way
I have a Helipro Black Hawk 500se pro using dx6i. Flies great, and well its nitro also, yet it flies great. If you have money and hobby store is far from you, send it
to ka planes, they'll fix it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10674.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1029910  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
jcervantes11

try and get a copterx v2 head only cost 62.95 and it just a clone of trex 450 v2 head. If you're lucky u can find a tail set for 20 dollar over ebay. Those would be
a outstanding upgrade for bh 500. http://heli-bros.mybisi.com/product/...-V2_73718.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14719.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1029911  
Old 09-13-2008, 09:29 PM
KingCobra

Have you done anything to verify this Copter X rotor head is compatible with the Helipro main shaft?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
jcervantes11

Argh, theres an thread that a person swapt the head from black hawk 500, with a metal trex head. I'll let you soon and i'll give you the link.