Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Helo me choose a 450 Heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Helo me choose a 450 Heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM
rob020880

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helo me choose a 450 Heli

Hello Everyone,

I am about to purchase a 450 size electric heli. This will be my first heli. I am debating between a T-Rex or a Mini Titan. Which would you suggest, which version, and why? Is there any benefit im my getting the SE versions? TT has a nice looking 3d Heli out perhaps that would be good? Maybe there is a Heli that I don't know about that I should consider. Please help me figure this out.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Druss

Default RE: Helo me choose a 450 Heli

You've picked two of the most popular to choose from. There are tons of 450 helis out there though ranging from $99 for the EXI kit only to the $500 Trex 450SE V2 and Beam E4. You'll get lots of suggestions but things to consider are parts cost, local hobby shop support and what is everyone else flying in your area. It's great to be unique but when you're first learning it helps to get something that a few other people have so that they can help you out.

In order to get an idea of what we can suggest, you should list a budget including tools, parts and radio.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
bigairhonda

If I were you Id get the EXI 450 from Xheli.com. The all aluminum, now granted they have 3 different aluminum ones. They are each slightly different from another. The one I would choose is this Item: 18H53EXI-ARF450 for 179.99. The reason why is because its close to a trex although it has a belt setup like the BH450 and the beam E4, meaning that it doesnt have a double main gear with a small pinion gear for the belt. If I were to buy another 450 it would be this. Also most Trex parts will fit(main head and tail components). I personally think both the Trex is overrated and the Beam E4 is just too much money. Although if money is no object then Id get the Miniature Aircraft USA X-Cell Furion 450 Helicopter Kit.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:58 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

OR, you can buy a quality heli that is equal or better in quality than a Trex. Parts are cheaper than the Trex but quality is better. It looks far kewler, IMO than the Trex, is better designed. Also its cheaper complete than a Trex that you have to buy electronics, motors and servos. Check out RC-Tek.com and have a look at the SJM heli's. You can't go wrong.

happy fly'n
Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 AM
helifan06

I've heard SJM helis are bad. I have a TREX 450 SE; and so far I like it. If you want to get the EXI for $99 at xheli.com or nitroplanes.com; you can get the TREX 450 SA kit for $200. It comes with aluminum frames, the ALIGN motor and ESC; which doesn't come in the EXI; and you need to buy it separately.

I'm trying to build another TREX; so when I have a crash; I have another ready while waiting for parts and repairing it. Helidirect sells the complete CF Frame for TREX 450 SE for $104.

Good Luck;

by the way; you might need also; HS56 servos; 401 gyro + Futaba 9560 tail gyro.

helifan06;
Old 09-14-2008, 11:57 AM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

I know a couple guyz that have the SJMs and they would choose the SJM over a Trex in quality and performance. When it comes to heli's its each to their own. Personally I don't want to be a Trex clone which is why I bought an EXI... lol. The deal was just to good to pass up on $69.... delivered. I have enough spares that I can drop into it that I can almost fly it now. Just waiting on the new Telebee and AR6100e to show up and then its ready to go. So for another $80 I have a flying 450 which is under two hun total for a 450 heli, can't be beat.

As for the SJM... its my next heli for sure...

happy fly'n
Old 09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Druss

Guys, to each their own but one thing to keep in mind. If you've had experience with a couple different helis and feel comfortable with something new and different then the SJM does look interesting. I personally can't put much confidence in an EXI which retails for under $100 for the kit. Almost everytime in my life that I have cheaped out I have regretted it.

The guy is a new pilot and with either the trex or mt he would have lots of guys around that can help with any problems. local parts support should also be good. there are tons of 450 helis now available but lets face it, you can't go wrong with either the trex or the mt, they may be a little over priced but as much as everything is always debating the quality of all the other 450s (including the trex clones) no one doubts the quality of align and thunder tiger.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 PM
HeLiTuBBies

trex and similar kinds=quality is everything.. it might not save a newbie (like myself) from crashes but he will be able to appreciate quality, dependability and performance once he realized it's difference from other cheaper and less popular models and brands..
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM
helifan06

I agree, I started back in 06 with rc helis. My first heli was the W36 AKA Raptor G2. I spent about $230 for it; and with all crashes, parts, and time; I couldn't make it to be in the air for not even 5 min. In total, I think I spent about $700 because I really like the W36.

Later, I got a TREX 450 SE; and so far, I have more flight time than crashes. I have it for 2 years now, and so far, 2 minor crashes due to setup on the tail. But lesson learned, you buy cheap; you buy twice.

I spent many hours in the simulator; so he should do that too; crash many times in the simulator until he gets comfortable with the heli; and always use a traning gear on the first flights so it doesn't tip over during landing and take off.

This hobby is great, and you will learn a lot from guys here and in other forums such as helifreak. I did learn a lot from setting up the heli from finless bob videos; I recommend to take a look even the bird is a RTF.

Happy flying...