Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

hey all... Just picked up an EXI 450 from Xheli, sweet deal. Just wondering what others are running for servo's. I'd just ordered 6 sg90'sn which I'm sure will fit the bill. But what sort of setup do you all have. I'm planning on a 4200Kv mystery motor, 30A ESC, AR6100e, SG90's servos. Planned changes will be a cnc had from cnchelicopter and a tri-tail.

happy fly'n
Old 09-13-2008, 05:01 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

hey all... Just picked up an EXI 450 from Xheli, sweet deal. Just wondering what others are running for servo's. I'd just ordered 6 sg90'sn which I'm sure will fit the bill. But what sort of setup do you all have. I'm planning on a 4200Kv mystery motor, 30A ESC, AR6100e, SG90's servos. Planned changes will be a cnc had from cnchelicopter and a tri-tail.

happy fly'n
Some guys are running the futaba, and digital on the rudder. I'm running the ole E-Sky std 8G x4. Just stay away from the 7.5's (S-75 etc), you'll be fine. ESC is good, motor is overkill (I use 32 or 3500kv), but that's personal pref. I run mostly scale and scale flight, so I don't have a need for warp 9 (LMAO). What the heck is a tri-tail? got a pic?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

happy fly'n
Stay away from that motor for a 450. It's only about 150 watts. You need about 200-250 watts. I have one of them and it was too weak for my heavy King 2. Get a CopterX stock motor or Sonix 3500kv or similar 200+ watt motor.

The HXT900 servos have a little more power and a bit better gears than the SG 90s, but look and cost the same. That's what I an ordering for mine. I have SG 90s on the King and they are fine.

What kind of ESC are you getting?

I am planning HXT900 servos, AR6200 RX, Telebee ATV, 40A Dynam ESC.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:18 PM
lohchief

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

Hey cheif...little off topic, but I maidened this animal today (2 flights). My head hurts and my hands are shaking....I just got in from #2 flight. This thing eats up 300yds of field in a HURRY...LMAO.
I can honastly say I will never ever have anything like that.It goes faster then my brain I have a hard enough time just trying to fly what I have.I'm afraid that the "low and slow" I was taught years ago is with me forever
-lohchief
Old 09-13-2008, 10:19 PM
DumbDawg

A tri-tail can be found at,

http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/sjm32...ded-p1974.html

It can be fitted to either an 11 0r 12mm boom. Which of course the 12mm will be the one I ultimately stick on. This is my substitute heli until I can afford the SJM.

I'll have a look at the HXT's but that will have to wait no that I've ordered the SG's. I think they will do for now.

I am taking the 4200 motor off the king and putting it on the XI for now. It runs on the king quite nice, lots of power all thru the range so I'm think'n it will do nicely here too. Won't hurt to try it anyway. The ESC I have, actually a couple one being an EMax and another basically a generic 30A esc. Either way it will wor fine. I don't necessarily buy name brands because they all tend to be made from a few suppliers in China and then branded. I also have a Telebee ATV coming too, should be here soon.

Thx and happy fly'n
Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 PM
lohchief

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Oh come on Vic, we're not going to punish anyone for going off topic are we? I feel like we just moved down the flight line to the next discussion. I want to hear about what we're all doing Bikes, (pedaled or powered), picture of some nice dozers, jets, ect... It shows we all have something in common

BTW Chief, I heard a great story from a Cobra pilot.... How they had all lined up in a nice line for parade, top brass present and a Chinook came in hard and turned sideways blowing them all out of wack. They were all taking shots at each other, it was great. The guys in the Chinook said that the Cobra pilots would give them hell until it came time to carry the beer to the party

Blessings!

Jay
We used to call the hooks "big windy's".That wasn't always used to describe the chinooks either
-lohchief
Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 PM
lohchief

happy fly'n
For servos I'm running scanner rc ssv9314mg's on the swash,and some digital jammie on the tail.I am running the LT-2100 gyro,a EMax 35a esc,Dimension Enginering 1.5a/5v bec,and an AKE IceCold 3500v/320 watt motor.On my other EXI,it's all the same except for a IceCold 380 watt mill,and a 4 blade main rotorhead.Radio is a Futaba 7c 2.4ghz fasst.
-lohchief
Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: lohchief

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Oh come on Vic, we're not going to punish anyone for going off topic are we? I feel like we just moved down the flight line to the next discussion. I want to hear about what we're all doing Bikes, (pedaled or powered), picture of some nice dozers, jets, ect... It shows we all have something in common

BTW Chief, I heard a great story from a Cobra pilot.... How they had all lined up in a nice line for parade, top brass present and a Chinook came in hard and turned sideways blowing them all out of wack. They were all taking shots at each other, it was great. The guys in the Chinook said that the Cobra pilots would give them hell until it came time to carry the beer to the party

Blessings!

Jay
We used to call the hooks "big windy's".That wasn't always used to describe the chinooks either
-lohchief

LMFAO....Yeah, applies to all Marines that fly in them too...."big windy". Had a chance (volenteers...you know about that scenario) to fly out to a carrier on one....I declined, they don't call 'em Marine killers for nothing.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
DumbDawg

I'd be really interested in how you run the four blade head setup. Obviously no flybar system so what else is needed for this setup. I was thinking of a tri-blade from cnchelicopter.com before but didn't have the heli for it. So if I pick one up what else would I need???

happy flying
Old 09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
crashcrash

George...it only flies 85mph as stock on the straight and level (LMAO). Before this, the fastest plane I ever flew went about 40mph. It takes a 300yd field like a bullet. I shake like a mexican hairless for 20 minuets after flying it....what a rush.

Just finished assembly and test hover of #2 EXI-450 (the one that's stock). Got more setup to do before first flight:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73977.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1032895  
Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 AM
lohchief

I'd be really interested in how you run the four blade head setup. Obviously no flybar system so what else is needed for this setup. I was thinking of a tri-blade from cnchelicopter.com before but didn't have the heli for it. So if I pick one up what else would I need???

happy flying
You ain't the only one interested in the setup.I didn't get a lick of paperwork with the darn thing,so I have to guess.I'll let ya know how that goes.I do know I'll be using expo to tame it down.I believe after tracking the blades,I won't need the normal amount of pitch,so I will be doing a lot of dail in with regards to both pitch and throttle curves to tame the beast.
-lohchief
Old 09-14-2008, 10:12 AM
lohchief

George...it only flies 85mph as stock on the straight and level (LMAO). Before this, the fastest plane I ever flew went about 40mph. It takes a 300yd field like a bullet. I shake like a mexican hairless for 20 minuets after flying it....what a rush.

Just finished assembly and test hover of #2 EXI-450 (the one that's stock). Got more setup to do before first flight:
LMAO........I don't even drive my car that fast.A mexican hairless,good lawd Thats what I look like after low and slow yer killin' me.
-lohchief
Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 AM
DumbDawg

I think there is a forum here on this flybarless heli's. I really like the idea of flying without the flybar. I think the forum is scale heli's which is where I'll be looking when I get the money for a new tri-blade head from cnchelicopter. Or maybe a quad-head and a tri-tail... that would be sweet...

happy fly'n

You ain't the only one interested in the setup.I didn't get a lick of paperwork with the darn thing,so I have to guess.I'll let ya know how that goes.I do know I'll be using expo to tame it down.I believe after tracking the blades,I won't need the normal amount of pitch,so I will be doing a lot of dail in with regards to both pitch and throttle curves to tame the beast.
-lohchief
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
crashcrash

I think there is a forum here on this flybarless heli's. I really like the idea of flying without the flybar. I think the forum is scale heli's which is where I'll be looking when I get the money for a new tri-blade head from cnchelicopter. Or maybe a quad-head and a tri-tail... that would be sweet...

happy fly'n

-lohchief
You guys are right about the pitch etc on the 3 and up rotorheads. I thought about it at one time because I think I liked the idea of no flybar. The price stopped me dead in my tracks at the time (no working, no $$$ comming in). They say that it's VERY touchy on the controls but still....a VERY interesting concept, especially if you're going for realizm. I'd like to do a huey with no flybar and elevated tail rotor...somebody help me (LMAO).
Old 09-14-2008, 12:42 PM
DumbDawg

Yah.. I've heard the same that its quite touchy to fly. The heads are cheap enough but not when you have no coinage coming in. Heads now run about a hun. I have a huey body on one of my K2s which I got from DarthDrk. It really does need the elevated tail mod which I think Darth has the plans for it. BTW his canopies are very nice and very inexpensive for the quality you are getting. I'm ordering another canopy from him soon enough for the EXI. I want to put the DragonFly body and go flybarless head on it.

http://darthdrk.4t.com/images/rimg0438.jpg

I like the old birds and don't care at all for the canopies that come on heli's today. They all look the same and IMO are ugly. Each to their own I guess

happy fly'n
Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 PM
crashcrash

Yah.. I've heard the same that its quite touchy to fly. The heads are cheap enough but not when you have no coinage coming in. Heads now run about a hun. I have a huey body on one of my K2s which I got from DarthDrk. It really does need the elevated tail mod which I think Darth has the plans for it. BTW his canopies are very nice and very inexpensive for the quality you are getting. I'm ordering another canopy from him soon enough for the EXI. I want to put the DragonFly body and go flybarless head on it.

http://darthdrk.4t.com/images/rimg0438.jpg

I like the old birds and don't care at all for the canopies that come on heli's today. They all look the same and IMO are ugly. Each to their own I guess

happy fly'n

LoChief has one of the darthdrk hueys. IMO...the hightorqueusa's have much better detail (rivets/seam lines), and are made from .008PET instead of .005 or .003, and they're not ABS. They're a pretty nice fuse, very suitable and sturdy (I just talked myself into doing up another Huey (LMAO). Yeah....I hate the stock canopy as well, and the stock skids gotta go (ordering 2 sets of Align skids and poles).
Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
DumbDawg

The canopy I got from Darth was very good. It shows seams and rivets as well. Came in white PET and clear pieces for the windows and bubble chin windows as well. I have no complaints with Darths cabins.. they are excellent. AND.. Darth has way more selection for available cabins in diff sizes too.

The canopies Hightorque has maybe a bit cheaper but the selection is far lower. The REAL nice thing about Hightorque tho is his Tail riser. Darth doesn't have anything like it but thats what shopping around gets you... a little from here and a little from there... If I go Sikorsky then I'll get the tail riser from Hightorque but if I go DragonFly I won't need it. We'll see

happy fly'n
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
crashcrash

The canopy I got from Darth was very good. It shows seams and rivets as well. Came in white PET and clear pieces for the windows and bubble chin windows as well. I have no complaints with Darths cabins.. they are excellent. AND.. Darth has way more selection for available cabins in diff sizes too.

The canopies Hightorque has maybe a bit cheaper but the selection is far lower. The REAL nice thing about Hightorque tho is his Tail riser. Darth doesn't have anything like it but thats what shopping around gets you... a little from here and a little from there... If I go Sikorsky then I'll get the tail riser from Hightorque but if I go DragonFly I won't need it. We'll see

happy fly'n

I did some research last night. These elevated tail rotors, they're not all the same angle (say UHN1 vs H60). In addition, the H60's tail rotor is HIGHER, requiring a LONGER belt and longer upward tube). The elevated tail rotor kit by Hightorqueusa is FINE for the huey, it won't work on the H60, and I doubt it'll work on a CH53 or other like helicopter fuselage. You could make your own and you can buy different length belts if you look hard enough. The absolutely BEST design I have found is a 2 belt system with bell crank to operate tail rotor pitch. Some people use the flex rod stuff down the boom and bend upward to the tail rotor, and it's obvious that that would be lacking because it would move, and the servo would have to work harder to move it making a BIG delay in response. This is one of the "winter" projects I think. I'll try to fabricate my own elevated tail rotor assembly. The price tag won't be much dollar wise, but it's gonna take a LOT of time and engineering...plus finding parts that already exist to incorporate into the fabrication....interesting challenge. Darth still uses electric motors (fixed pitch)...."horse and buggy" design. I'm gonna take a trip to the LHS with a piece of boom....find the material to make the bend piece that I can mount pulleys in to accomplish the drive. the bell crank is a "no brainer"
Old 09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
lohchief

happy fly'n

I did some research last night. These elevated tail rotors, they're not all the same angle (say UHN1 vs H60). In addition, the H60's tail rotor is HIGHER, requiring a LONGER belt and longer upward tube). The elevated tail rotor kit by Hightorqueusa is FINE for the huey, it won't work on the H60, and I doubt it'll work on a CH53 or other like helicopter fuselage. You could make your own and you can buy different length belts if you look hard enough. The absolutely BEST design I have found is a 2 belt system with bell crank to operate tail rotor pitch. Some people use the flex rod stuff down the boom and bend upward to the tail rotor, and it's obvious that that would be lacking because it would move, and the servo would have to work harder to move it making a BIG delay in response. This is one of the "winter" projects I think. I'll try to fabricate my own elevated tail rotor assembly. The price tag won't be much dollar wise, but it's gonna take a LOT of time and engineering...plus finding parts that already exist to incorporate into the fabrication....interesting challenge. Darth still uses electric motors (fixed pitch)...."horse and buggy" design. I'm gonna take a trip to the LHS with a piece of boom....find the material to make the bend piece that I can mount pulleys in to accomplish the drive. the bell crank is a "no brainer"
I will eventually make my own elevated tail rotor system.The only hard part is finding the right size belt(determining the right size is the trick).Lets say that maybe a 500 rex belt may fit.Find out the boom length of a 500,do some math,and it may work out.Of course I'm only using that as an example.The bearings needed aren't to hard to find,and again,don't cost too much either.I think it would actually be cheaper to get the raw materials at a LHS,rather then pay s/h for a couple of very small and light parts,IMHO.On another note,Vic,I hate the strutts on my 500.There is no way in hell I can ignore the fact that they are SOOO Wrong for a 6....=another time delay.I have to get the streamlined tubeing and do it up right,or I'll never sleep again,LOL.AND,since I am hell bound for leather gonna do it,I HAVE to add the suspension that really goes along with the strutts so the darn things work like the real deal.I have several options of making this happen,and I will explore all of them.So many ideas.......so little money
-lohchief
Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
crashcrash

happy fly'n

I will eventually make my own elevated tail rotor system.The only hard part is finding the right size belt(determining the right size is the trick).Lets say that maybe a 500 rex belt may fit.Find out the boom length of a 500,do some math,and it may work out.Of course I'm only using that as an example.The bearings needed aren't to hard to find,and again,don't cost too much either.I think it would actually be cheaper to get the raw materials at a LHS,rather then pay s/h for a couple of very small and light parts,IMHO.On another note,Vic,I hate the strutts on my 500.There is no way in hell I can ignore the fact that they are SOOO Wrong for a 6....=another time delay.I have to get the streamlined tubeing and do it up right,or I'll never sleep again,LOL.AND,since I am hell bound for leather gonna do it,I HAVE to add the suspension that really goes along with the strutts so the darn things work like the real deal.I have several options of making this happen,and I will explore all of them.So many ideas.......so little money
-lohchief
George...the trick in these belts is the number of teeth (from what I've read so far). The standard T-Rex 450 belt is like 537(?) I had the place that sells different lengths....but I got to find it again. Like you said, flange rollers and std 2mm screws x 8mm with nuts for the clamping of the angle block. The flexible pushrod for the tail rotor pitch....it can be a problem, so a bell crank is the better option...it's do-able. I'll post the belt suppliers when I find it again.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
crashcrash

George...I found a supplier for belts, but I haven't figured out what size as yet, got more homework to do:

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/default.asp
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
DumbDawg

It would be nice to have a HS available nearby but for me its a two hour drive, on a good day, and the HS owner is somewhat of a git. He sells trains and planes with virtually no heli parts. A few Eflite replacement parts and thats it. But a decent HS would be nce to poke around in looking for the parts to fabricate a raised tail mech. The belts aren't that hard to come by it more of having available matching belts in diff lengths I think.

Def a winter project. or I can go simple and get a DragonFly canopy and work on the undercarriage more. I'm thinking of using some springs from RC cars or trucks in order to let the heli have a bit of give when it lands. Then it will act a little more realistic rather than hitting hard and skidding a bit. A small bounce and settle down is what I'm looking for. More work... sigh!!! lol

happy fly'n
Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
crashcrash

It would be nice to have a HS available nearby but for me its a two hour drive, on a good day, and the HS owner is somewhat of a git. He sells trains and planes with virtually no heli parts. A few Eflite replacement parts and thats it. But a decent HS would be nce to poke around in looking for the parts to fabricate a raised tail mech. The belts aren't that hard to come by it more of having available matching belts in diff lengths I think.

Def a winter project. or I can go simple and get a DragonFly canopy and work on the undercarriage more. I'm thinking of using some springs from RC cars or trucks in order to let the heli have a bit of give when it lands. Then it will act a little more realistic rather than hitting hard and skidding a bit. A small bounce and settle down is what I'm looking for. More work... sigh!!! lol

happy fly'n

LMAO...getting these speciality belts is a little harder than you think. Making the angle bracket...no biggie, hardware, no biggie.

I know what you mean about the landings not being springy enough. They're a rigid skid system, and the plastic shatters at anything below 30degF (I'm a commando.....I fly in snow and cold). Wheels with shock absorbers would be cool, but I'm too darned lazy to jump through those hoops.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
DumbDawg

I've decided to do the DragonFly and work on suspension instead doing another heuy or blackhawk. Something different. Man we really need a HS for this area anybody want to come and open one??

happy fly'n
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM
crashcrash

I've decided to do the DragonFly and work on suspension instead doing another heuy or blackhawk. Something different. Man we really need a HS for this area anybody want to come and open one??

happy fly'n
My LHS is exactly like yours...a little E-Flite stuff, trains, cars, planes....that's about it, and it's an hours drive to get there. Online is easier for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.