Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Newbie help with Mini Titan

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Newbie help with Mini Titan

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
rob020880

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help with Mini Titan

Hello Everyone,

I am a airplane guy who recently decided to give the TT Mini Titan a try. I have been practicing on my sim and believe I will enjoy helis very much.

I plan on purchasing the kit version of the Mini Titan because I will enjoy building it. I chose it because many reviews I read say they are stable and the price is right, at $129 for the kit.

There are several questions I have for you guys as I am new to helis and would really appreciate your help. First of all should I get the kit less electronics and choose my own electric package, for example Skorpion motor/esc? Or should I go with the TT package which sells for $200 with the kit? I plan on upgrading as my skills improve accordingly so I wouldn't mind paying a little more up front on components that probably won't break in a crash. What package do you suggest?

What gyro should I get? I want a good one but at a reasonable price. (logitech, Jr, Futaba, Etc?)

Which servos should I use on the Mini Titan?

As I said I am a plane guy and have an old radio. I would like to get a spektrum dx7. Can I get the airplane version of the dx7 and use it to fly a heli? What are the differences between the heli/airplane Dx7? Is the throttle notched on both? Any other differences?

Does the kit include any tools? Which should I get if not?

What is Anaerobics Retainer?

Again I really appreciate your anwsering my questions and providing any additional advice you may have.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Newbie help with Mini Titan

ORIGINAL: rob020880

Hello Everyone,

I am a airplane guy who recently decided to give the TT Mini Titan a try. I have been practicing on my sim and believe I will enjoy helis very much.

I plan on purchasing the kit version of the Mini Titan because I will enjoy building it. I chose it because many reviews I read say they are stable and the price is right, at $129 for the kit.

There are several questions I have for you guys as I am new to helis and would really appreciate your help. First of all should I get the kit less electronics and choose my own electric package, for example Skorpion motor/esc? Or should I go with the TT package which sells for $200 with the kit? I plan on upgrading as my skills improve accordingly so I wouldn't mind paying a little more up front on components that probably won't break in a crash. What package do you suggest?

What gyro should I get? I want a good one but at a reasonable price. (logitech, Jr, Futaba, Etc?)
The 401 with a 9650 works VERY well on the Mini Titan

Which servos should I use on the Mini Titan?
Id reccomend HS65MG's
As I said I am a plane guy and have an old radio. I would like to get a spektrum dx7. Can I get the airplane version of the dx7 and use it to fly a heli? What are the differences between the heli/airplane Dx7? Is the throttle notched on both? Any other differences?
Get the heli version if you're going to fly or think you're going to fly helis. I fly everything from gassers, to gliders, to helis and do it on a heli radio. The switch layout is more natural for heli flying and the throttle is smooth on the heli version. You get the same software on both. Many airplane guys, especially 3d types that have flown my planes on my radios have asked me to mod the throttles for finer throttle control on their airplane radios.
Does the kit include any tools? Which should I get if not?
Yep, it comes with a few allen wrenches but a set of hardened allen drivers makes life easier, you also need a pitch gauge.
What is Anaerobics Retainer?
Fancy name for locktite. It means is a retainer that cures in the absence of air. Used for metal to metal only.
Again I really appreciate your anwsering my questions and providing any additional advice you may have.
Glad to help. Check out the mini titan review in the RCU magazine section.