Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King 70mm F-86 and Banana Hobby Mig15

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Hobby King 70mm F-86 and Banana Hobby Mig15

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:20 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King 70mm F-86 and Banana Hobby Mig15

ORIGINAL: srt10

love to see some video of these with that new 10 blade fan...

Ask and you shall receive!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJChzxAn38&context=C32cbc0aADOEgsToPDskKX3Ar9B1MkJPfxnOVmuGGJ[/youtube]
Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
dionysusbacchus

Here are the links for all the parts I used to modify my Skyblazer F-86 in the video above:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3727

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18543

http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...w=&lang=en&ev=

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3300-4s1p-30c-4444.html

In the video above I show two landings at the end, one I hit the only pothole on the runway. One flight was with tanks and they do add lots of drag, i just cut and pasted both flights into one vid. With the new fan and motor it has 1100 watts and about 54 amps, throttle control is the key, most of the time I fly at half and have my timer set to 4 min with plenty left on the battery.

camera guy was not the best and sorry about the wind noise, it was quite windy last weekend.

On my Desert Rat's F-86 I added a fiberglass nose cone and applied my own decals. The decals are not a perfect color match but they help to blend the nose cone with the fuselage. I have several more details I'm adding to this plane, and I still need to add the black area on the tip of the nose.

I'm including the decal files I created for the new nose cone, print them out on white decal paper and trim them with a white border. Here is the decal paper I use:

http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51369.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	1702693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16312.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	1702694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78131.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	1702695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24443.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1702696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53724.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1702697  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: srt10

love to see some video of these with that new 10 blade fan...

Ask and you shall receive!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJChzxAn38&context=C32cbc0aADOEgsToPDskKX3Ar9B1MkJPfxnOVmuGGJ[/youtube]
Awesome sound bro!!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
beancounter1

A friend of mine bought the MIG and now I think I want the F-86,  How did you get the Fan unit out, I built his and it is in there pretty good?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: beancounter1

A friend of mine bought the MIG and now I think I want the F-86, How did you get the Fan unit out, I built his and it is in there pretty good?

Thanks
It's no problem at all to get the fan out, it's glued in with the same cement provided with the kit, it's kind of a rubber type cement. Just firmly grab the shroud and gently wiggle it back and forth applying a slight pulling pressure on it and you can work it loose, just take your time. After removing the fan, make sure you use a finger to roll up the glue left behind, you don't want any of that left in there because it may warp the new fan shroud. Just glue your new fan in with a few drops of the glue provided with the kit, also as a side note this glue works great to glue on the canopy however use epoxy to glue the rest of the plane together.

If you are installing the ChangeSun fan you will need to extend the groove for the fan shroud towards the rear by 1/8", just use a sharp hobby knife for this, it doesn't have to be perfect but with these fans you do not want anything distorting the shroud.

Post some pictures and some info on your set-up.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
mrstude

just maidened my F-86. Flys real good, could use more speed.
You mentioned you tryed a changesun fan. Did you try it with the stock motor ? What were the results ?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: mrstude

just maidened my F-86. Flys real good, could use more speed.
You mentioned you tryed a changesun fan. Did you try it with the stock motor ? What were the results ?
The stock motor in the ChangeSun fan works just as good, it's 2800kv also. But, it is much noisier than the Turnigy motor I use now. You will see a jump from the stock 725 watts to around 950 to over 1000 watts, depends on your motor and battery. You will need to upgrade you ESC, I use the 80amp Turnigy Plush, I've got over 100 flights on it now and the whole combo is working great.

Luke

Picture from last Sunday! Yes, that is a turbine F-86, just have to stay clear of the exhaust pipe!

Name:	Ur52276.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1721286  
Old 01-30-2012, 04:25 PM
mrstude

Great, Thanks !
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
dionysusbacchus

Little update on one of my power systems. I converted my Hobby King F-86 to a 6s setup because it has extra room where the air tank is located in the Venom F-86's. The HK F-86 comes stock with electric retracts, so it works out great.

Here is what I have: Turnigy 2100kv motor, Turnigy Plush 80amp ESC, ChangeSun 70mm 10 blade fan and two 3s Sky Lipo 4000mah batteries.

60amps and 1500 watts The system runs great, no vibration at all, I'll keep you posted!

Name:	Yw68707.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1726679  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
speedbrake

I have been following the thread and think the combo you are flying with is awesome. I'm sold....bought the plane and the fan, the motor is out of stock at the moment. I'll follow up once all the bits and pieces are here. I also think it is great to have multiple club members all enjoying the same model...I'm sure it adds to the enjoyment of the hobby.

Cheers,
Keith
Old 03-11-2012, 02:06 AM
speedbrake

Canceled my order with HK. Waited twenty days for something to happen....nothing. HK charged the amount on my credit card so had the funds. Strange. I think I'll stay away from HK. Fortunately they did provide a refund....I think...need to wait a couple of days before anything shows up on the account.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: speedbrake

Canceled my order with HK. Waited twenty days for something to happen....nothing. HK charged the amount on my credit card so had the funds. Strange. I think I'll stay away from HK. Fortunately they did provide a refund....I think...need to wait a couple of days before anything shows up on the account.
Sorry to hear that, not sure what happened. All of my fellow club members and myself order from Hobby King on a regular basis, I would give them another try. Make sure your goods are in stock, but 20 days does not seem like a long time really, I've waited longer for orders from China, generally about a month. Spring Air in Florida took 45 days to send my retracts and they would not respond to emails!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
SilverState RC

dionysusbacchus ,

I apologize in advance for Hijacking your thread but,  you sound just like the guy I need to ask some questions of. You will have to forgive me, Im new to electric RC. Ive only ever flown Nitro powered stuff.  Just today I purchased the Banana Hobby 70mm Mig 15.  From what Ive observed in video reviews and online reviews the plane flys ok at or near sea level. But much above that its a bit of a slug.

Pretty much everyplace I fly at is at 4500ft-5000ft in elevation. So my question to you is before I try to fly my new Mig should I invest in a larger ESC? I know that the stock one is only 45A. I have a 60A  Detrum that isnt doing anything right now. Will this be acceptable?  I also have another option. I have a EPP Habu airframe that is almost on its last leg. I do know that the ESC, fan and motor combo in that machine makes quite abit of thrust and moves that Habu out with much Authority.  In your opinion would this be a viable swap?  Im currently running only 4s 3000 and 3300mha 40C batteries. They seem to do a good job at this elevation.

I also need a little info on motor sizes for 70mm EDF's. For example my Habu has a 3200Kv motor. My new purchase Mig has I believe a 2800KV motor.  Is the larger number indicated more powerful? or the smaller number? 

So any little bit of info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
<script></script>
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 AM
speedbrake

Dion,
I found out what happened. They wanted a copy of my credit card for their files. So the entire order was placed on hold until I responded. I didn't receive their email so......... I'll just go PayPal from now on. I did buy the 10 blade fan so will pursue that...will install in another plane. Just as well...my two flying fields are grass..the F86 would have trouble with the grass.

How is that F4 coming along? You should be about done.

Keith
Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 AM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: SilverState RC

http://<b><font size=''2'' color=''#...hus</font></b> ,

I apologize in advance for Hijacking your thread but, you sound just like the guy I need to ask some questions of. You will have to forgive me, Im new to electric RC. Ive only ever flown Nitro powered stuff. Just today I purchased the Banana Hobby 70mm Mig 15. From what Ive observed in video reviews and online reviews the plane flys ok at or near sea level. But much above that its a bit of a slug.

Pretty much everyplace I fly at is at 4500ft-5000ft in elevation. So my question to you is before I try to fly my new Mig should I invest in a larger ESC? I know that the stock one is only 45A. I have a 60A Detrum that isnt doing anything right now. Will this be acceptable? I also have another option. I have a EPP Habu airframe that is almost on its last leg. I do know that the ESC, fan and motor combo in that machine makes quite abit of thrust and moves that Habu out with much Authority. In your opinion would this be a viable swap? Im currently running only 4s 3000 and 3300mha 40C batteries. They seem to do a good job at this elevation.

I also need a little info on motor sizes for 70mm EDF's. For example my Habu has a 3200Kv motor. My new purchase Mig has I believe a 2800KV motor. Is the larger number indicated more powerful? or the smaller number?

So any little bit of info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
<script></script>
I'm not an expert by any means myself, but I can tell you a few things about the Banana Mig! I'm sorry that was your first purchase, you are not in for an easy introduction to electrics unfortunately. That plane is a dog, and installing a bigger ESC will not change that. OK, I read more, you have another jet, well the Banana Mig is a bad second jet also!

I gave my Mig away, so I really didn't pursue it any further than the stock set up. If I had it now I would install a ChangeSun 10 blade 70mm fan ($15) and use the stock 2800kv motor, that would get you over the 1000watts mark. I don't know what it is about the airframe, but it has a lot of drag or something. If the Habu has a 70mm fan in it I would install that set up in the Mig and see what it does. Good luck and please post some pictures or at least come back and tell us what you did and how it went!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 AM
dionysusbacchus

Dion,
I found out what happened. They wanted a copy of my credit card for their files. So the entire order was placed on hold until I responded. I didn't receive their email so......... I'll just go PayPal from now on. I did buy the 10 blade fan so will pursue that...will install in another plane. Just as well...my two flying fields are grass..the F86 would have trouble with the grass.

How is that F4 coming along? You should be about done.

Keith
Glad you got that figured out with HK, let me know how you do with the fan, please post your results!

No, I'm not almost done with the Phantom! I'm working on several planes at once, just finished an F-100. I will be back on the F-4 though, so it won't be long!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 AM
SilverState RC

ORIGINAL: SilverState RC

I'm not an expert by any means myself, but I can tell you a few things about the Banana Mig! I'm sorry that was your first purchase, you are not in for an easy introduction to electrics unfortunately. That plane is a dog, and installing a bigger ESC will not change that. OK, I read more, you have another jet, well the Banana Mig is a bad second jet also!

I gave my Mig away, so I really didn't pursue it any further than the stock set up. If I had it now I would install a ChangeSun 10 blade 70mm fan ($15) and use the stock 2800kv motor, that would get you over the 1000watts mark. I don't know what it is about the airframe, but it has a lot of drag or something. If the Habu has a 70mm fan in it I would install that set up in the Mig and see what it does. Good luck and please post some pictures or at least come back and tell us what you did and how it went!

Well expert or not you appear to be smarter about EDF's than I. So Ive purchased some other EDF's prior to the Banana Mig. I own a NP 70mm Mig, and the Habu. The NP Mig is a bit of a slug, but with the 60A ESC and the 4S 3000mha 40C batteries it fly's just ok. Take offs are very scale but it just isnt that fast. So I plan on fabricating a thrust tube for it to see what happens. I fly at about 5000ft elevation so I kinda knew that my edf's were gonna be lacking in power. So I also have the Habu and its quite powerful and fly's with much authority. But it too will be getting a thrust tube. As for the Banana Mig after looking around Ive decided to do a power plant swap and a thrust tube. So it will get either the Sapac 70mm EDF + CS480-3300-40EDF, Sapac MB1 Combo that I found at EDFHobbies.com. Or I may even run that ChangeSun 10 blade. Truthfully what would you recommend? When I get done modifying I will take photo's and maybe even FPV, either way I will get back here and let you guys know what Ive done and how it went.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM
dionysusbacchus

On that Mig, before you install a thrust tube, get some 80 grit sandpaper and roll it on a 1" dowel, then sand the bumps out of the tail pipe where the speed brake servo's are. There is plenty of foam there, so you will not interfere with your speed brakes at all. Next take the grill off of the cheater hole, you will probably need to fix the ESC attachment anyway, it will breath easier.

I like using the higher blade count fans, they have great power and sound nicer. They have higher amps, but you have to decide what you want. Just changing the fan my watts on the stock set up went from around 725 watts to 1090 watts on the 70mm fan.

Name:	tr49296.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	1738990   Click image for larger version

Name:	yv66072.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	1738991  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
SilverState RC

Well Ijust ordered the Sapac 70mm fan, and the 480 3300 motor set up. A little more than $70 including shipping. The ratings on this EDF motor combo sound impressive. Nearly 3 lbs of thrust running a 14.8v battery. We will see. Thanks for the heads up about the removing the foam inside the exhaust and the possible repair on the cheater hole. What I may do when payday rolls around is get that 10 blade fan set up for my NP mig and see how it does. Thanks for the info and I will keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
speedbrake

I'm curious...which F100 is it? I have the RBC F100 kit and plan to put the ChangeSun fan in it. Will be a bungee project though.

Keith
Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM
dionysusbacchus

I'm curious...which F100 is it? I have the RBC F100 kit and plan to put the ChangeSun fan in it. Will be a bungee project though.

Keith
I just posted a thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11000842/tm.htm

Check it out.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
SilverState RC

Well after a little bit of searching I found some suitable material for a thrust tube. I fabricated it out of a very rigid paper product that we use to make stencils with for aircraft (full size).This test is on my Nitro Planes Mig 15with a Dynam 70mm fan 3000KV motorand 60A ESC.Any way I fitted the end over the back side of the fan and coned it down to about 2 inches plus or minus a 1/16. Got it installed in the ducting anddid a couple static runs to make sure it wouldnt move around. Check out good. So I go to my flying site 3 mins from my home and set up. Taxi out and start my roll out. I was a little disapointed at first untill the plane tried to lift off by itself. A little elevator and up she went, very scale like in appearance just like before. Maintaining my shallow climb out expecting the worst she is really starting to accelerate. So I set up to do a high speed pass down low and boy is this thing moving out. Granted the gear is still down but at the time it was flying faster (visually) than it ever did with the gear up. So I retract the gear on the climb out of the flyby and do another fly by. Needless to say Im very excited by what I saw. I was having such a good time that I forgot to set my timer and ended up landing dead stick but all is well. Installed a new battery and repeated the process, this time shooting approaches doing touch and goes. I noticed that with the thrust tube installed I now have to bring it in with a couple of clicks of throttle trim to keep the fan running as it runs out of steam a little faster on approach, but thats how your supposed to fly a jet in to land is under some power. Im very impressed with this very simple and inexpensive performance up grade.

So impressed that I did the same thing to my foam Habu. This did some very good things to my Habu. On take of the Habu is very squirrely on the roll out. Not anymore. A gradual exceleration to about 75% throttle and it tracks nice and straigh and starts to get light on the gear. Still advancing the throttle and breathing on the elevator she breaks ground and takes off very scale like. Start my turn out into the pattern and it really accelerates quickly and Im guessing tops out at like 75-80 mph compared to what Im guessing was only 60 mph but still very fast. The Mig before the trust tube was maybe going 40-45 at WOT and now Im guessing its giving me an honest 50-55 maybe 60 out of a shallow dive. So Isay BRAVO to all those that have helped me.

Now onto my Banana Hobby Mig 15. When it arrives it will get the same treatment plus a hotter 3300KV motor and Sapac 5 blade fan. Im gonna try the Dynam 60A ESC first but will probably go with the ProWing 60A ESC if I dont get what Im looking for. I wish I had some photos or video but this was a solo act this morning. I do have a FPV that I will mount on the Habu for next time and on the new Mig after I modify it.

Happy Flying
Silver State
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thank you very much for that report on your set up and flying, also congratulations! Sounds like you have a winner for the Mig, it does look good in the air, but even better when it is actually flying like a jet! Three minutes to the flying field? Really? You lucky dog you! I'd never get anything done if I could fly like that, and all the planes I did have would be worn out!

Luke

Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM
SilverState RC

Three minutes to the flying field? Really? You lucky dog you!
Luke
I would never kid about how far I travel to fly. I use a not quite fully developedindustrial area thats just north of me. Where I should be flying at is the AMA approved flying field that is only 20 min from my house. But................. Ive let my AMA expire years ago, and the flying field requires AMA and that you be a club member. Im aware of the perks of being a member of both. And I was a member of both for a long time. But all the OLD GUYS that I grew up flying with have since passed and some of the rules and club members are kinda undesirable. Im sure you can relate.

Bryant
Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM
dionysusbacchus

That's cool, I'm a outlaw at heart! If I could find a place around here to be an outlaw I would definitely be doing that on the side. Yes, As The Club Turns! It can be an interesting mix, I of course add to the dynamic myself! lol! Since I can't avoid myself, I just joined the club!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.