Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King 70mm F-86 and Banana Hobby Mig15

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Hobby King 70mm F-86 and Banana Hobby Mig15

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM
SilverState RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King 70mm F-86 and Banana Hobby Mig15

Day one
Well my Banana Hobby Mig 15 arrived today. I removed the stock fan and motorand ESC. Did alot of sanding to get the new fan to fit correctly so I could get the fan access to close all the way. Fabricated and fitted the a thrust tube after I sanded those two speed brake blisters on the inside. Taped up my hinges on all the flight controls. Mounted all the pitch horns on the control surfaces. Installed the control rods where I could.
Tomorrow I will be glueing the wings and Horizontal stabs. Glueing the new fan and ESC into place and rigging all the control surfaces. Hopefully mother nature will be nice to me this weekend and I can possibly make my maiden flight this weekend with FPV.

Instead of starting another thread I'll just add to this one.

Day two. Wings, horizontal stab, and canopy glued into place. Had a problem with one wing though. I thinkI mixed my epoxy a littly to hot, because when I went to fit it into place It wouldnt go in all the way. So now the wings arent square. Its not bad and Ive flown with worse, but Im not happy about it. Flight controls rigged, nose wheel steering wires installed and she looks pretty good with the exception of my epoxy job. But none of my airplanes have really been all that pretty. I really hate to build, even ARF's.So I get her all assemble let the glue set and check the CG. Going off of what the translated chinese instruction manual says Im a little tail heavy. But I believe that is due to the upgraded fan and motor. The motor is much larger in size and extends further back than the stock one. So now I have to double check myCG again after I get my esc installed all the way.

By the way Luke where did you measure you CG at on your BH Mig? And how did it come out. Also what did you use to secure your battery into place? The kit didnt come with anything. I think I will just use a strip of Velcro.

Day3. Added 1 1/2 oz of lead to the nose. I think its gonna be pretty close. Before I added the weight, with the battery installed gear down with the aircraft on the ground the nose was very light. I could lift the nose only just a little bit and it would flip up onto its tail. Now with the weight in the nose as far fwd as I can get it. I can lift the nose so the tail is within about 3 or so inches and it will go back on the nose gear on its own. Im pretty stoked. Now if mother nature would knock of this wind I may be able to do a maiden flight this weekend.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
SilverState RC

Well it flyspretty good with the new Sapac Fan, and Cyclone Power 3300Kv motor on and 80A ESC. SadlyI distroyed the fan by sucking in some servo wires that came loose from the shoddy factory tape job. But I guess Im mostly to blame for not double checking that everything was secured.

Then earlier this week I took custody of a Venom F 86. Its all assembled and waiting for me to install my new Changs Sun fan with Cyclone Power 3300KV motor and 100A ESC. I removed the the air retracts systme as the little switching valve wouldnt hold the air. I ended up using the factory struts and the servoless retracts out of one of my older EDF models that has seen better days. Based off of what Ive read in this particular thread it should fly very nicely with the new power system but time will tell.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM
startazz

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Little update on one of my power systems. I converted my Hobby King F-86 to a 6s setup because it has extra room where the air tank is located in the Venom F-86's. The HK F-86 comes stock with electric retracts, so it works out great.

Here is what I have: Turnigy 2100kv motor, Turnigy Plush 80amp ESC, ChangeSun 70mm 10 blade fan and two 3s Sky Lipo 4000mah batteries.

60amps and 1500 watts The system runs great, no vibration at all, I'll keep you posted!
I've just finished reading this thread and wanted to ask a question if it's ok dionysusbacchus,i was thinking of getting the HK F-86 but i wanted to know is there a hatch to get the EDF in and out so i can change the fan unit?

All so does the HK F-86 fuse come as one piece on will we need to glue that together? i only ask because i think i read somewhere that we had to glue it our selves,i'll leave a link to the one i think you have as thats the one i'm thinking of getting early next week but i just wanted to do a little research first.

After reading your thread on the HK F-86 i'm just about sold as it sounds like a good model,i also have the CS 10 bladed fan unit in the HK Vampire and thats a great little set up and the CS fan sounds great.

Thanks in advanced for any questions answered Diony.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17341
Old 04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can easily change the fan unit out, it is really easy with the Hobby King F-86 because the retracts are electric, they work great by the way, no air lines like the Venom F-86.

The HK F-86 fuselage is one piece, install your fan if you want to change it from the stock one, glue the wing halves together and install 4 bolts to hold the wing on and that is it. Next you glue the fin and stabs on and that is all there is as far as construction!

You will like the plane, let me know how it goes or if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help you out.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM
startazz

Thanks for the fast reply but one more thing?

If i had to and launch could it be done with stock set up?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: startazz

Thanks for the fast reply but one more thing?

If i had to and launch could it be done with stock set up?
No problem, and yes it could be done.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM
startazz

Thanks again mate.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
mrstude

Just to let you know. I installed my Changesun, Hk Motor and 80a Esc in my F-86. I can't wait to get in the air !!!!! Thanks for your time and experiments !!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM
mrstude

BTW ??? The Cockpit Kit you developed, is it available ???
Thanks
Rick
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM
mrstude

Flew the F-86 today, Very disapointed in the speed. I am not sure what is wrong. I have the changesun Fan, The hobby King motor and a 14.8, 3000mah 20c battery. The plane is no faster than it was ???!!!!!
Next step I guess is more cells.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
startazz

Sorry to hear that but you might want to try a lower KV motor in it,i still haven't got this model yet as i went for another rclander F9F Panther off of Hobbyking but i did use the 10 bladed fan unit in my HK Vampire with a 2200 KV motor and that set up was nice,it will handles 4s just fine and can take a 5s but i haven't been down that road yet.

I'm thinking of going for the Hobbyking Turnigy L2855 2100KV motor with the CS 10 bladed fan unit (which HK sells now) when i get around to buying it,should be good little motor for this set up plus it says you can get 900w out of it too but that might be for a 6s set up.

You have to be quick though because this motor is popular and go out of stock fast like now but it will soon be in again.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18541
Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
mrstude

anyone know where I can get the nose retract (electric) for my HK F-86 ????
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM
SilverState RC

ORIGINAL: mrstude

anyone know where I can get the nose retract (electric) for my HK F-86 ????
There are several places that you can find the servoless retracts for your bird. Try www.Hobbypartz.com

Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
mrstude

FYI !!! Hobby King now lists a steerable retract that is virtually the same as the unit in my F-86. I have one coming and will update this when I get it !!!!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11302
Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 AM
SilverState RC

Flew the F-86 today, Very disapointed in the speed. I am not sure what is wrong. I have the changesun Fan, The hobby King motor and a 14.8, 3000mah 20c battery. The plane is no faster than it was ???!!!!!
Next step I guess is more cells.
What size KV motor are you running with the Change Sun fan. You can run up to a 3400KV motor with that fan. But remember that the higher the KV you run the larger the ESC your going to require to support the amp demand. You will also need a larger C discharge rating. Youve stated that your running a 20 C battery, and that isnt quite enough. I run the same size battery but with a 40C discharge rating. No need to get more cells but you can if you choose to, but you will need to do some foam removal. I fly mine with a 14.8 4000mah 40C battery on occasion. And in order to allow that to fit I had to cut the bottom of the canopy foam out to accomodate it. But it will fly for a very long time and very quickly. But if you have a true need for speed using that fan running 4s batteries you will need to up the C rating to atleast 30C but I recommend 40C.

Also if you choose torun a different EDF assembly the E flight 70mm fan married up with the E flight 3600KV motor and a 60A ESC flies the F86 with much authority even at my 5000ft elevation. Im guessing as I have no way to measure it but with either EDF set up the E flight or the Change Sun Im getting an honest 70-75 MPH out of it.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 PM
mrstude

Thanks Silverstaterc. I will looking into that ! I am using the hk motor, 2800kv, 630 w ! Right now I am nurseing an broke front retract. Waiting for a replacement to arrive !
Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 PM
SilverState RC

So it sounds like your running the factory motor out of the F 86 in the Change Sun fan. If this is indeed true, when you can afford to do so get yourself a 3000 through 3200KV motor. I recommend the E Flight 3200KV motor if you still choose to use the Change Sun fan. But you will also have to run a larger amp ESC as the 10 blades on that fan require alot of amps to turn it. So I would say a 3200KV motor with a Min of an 80 amp ESC will make it go like stink. Word of caution make sure you run an inrunner type motor. If you use an outrunner type motor it will through off your CG as they outrunner is heavier and extends back more than a compatable inner. The F 86 doesnt like to fly tail heavy and is a royal pain in the @$$ to get on the ground if its too tail heavy. Trust me Im speaking from experience on this one.

Ive run a variety of fans in the F 86.Stock, E flight (BL15), HET, and the Change Sun. The stock fan sucked but that was also with the stock motor and ESC and it was a dog but then againI live at 5000ft compared to your near sea level. The E flight gear works great (Stock Habu power equipment) The HET fan with the Habu 3200kv motor and 60A escworked very well also and in my opinion was the fastest, at least it sounded faster. The Change Sun fan with the E flight 3200KV motor with an 80A esc was probably close to as fast as the HET set up, but sounded way better with that jet like swoosh sound that its famous for.

So there are some viable options for you and all of the set ups that Ive listed are respectably fast at 5000ft elevation. So what ever you chose to do if you set it up as I listed it you F 86 will be VERY fast in FL where your located. You may even want to at some carbon fiber rods to your wings and horizontal stab as the performace you should be gaining could fold your wings. Id be willing to bet if you used any of the 3 set ups Ive recommended your F 86 should be 95-100++++mph fast.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Belgenland

Hi all,

I ust acquired a second hand NIB HK F-86.

At the club we are using a grass runway which is a real golf green :

1. Will the stock retracts be strong enough? If not, which one can I use ?
2. I would like to fly her scale but I don't need a missile. Is the stock set-up good enough ? Which upgrade is best ?

I thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Phil

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 AM
SilverState RC

ORIGINAL: Belgenland

Hi all,

I ust acquired a second hand NIB HK F-86.

At the club we are using a grass runway which is a real golf green :

1. Will the stock retracts be strong enough? If not, which one can I use ?
2. I would like to fly her scale but I don't need a missile. Is the stock set-up good enough ? Which upgrade is best ?

I thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Phil

Well Phil, depending on how long the grass is you should have no issues with the grass except for maybe longer take off roll outs. But the wheels are pretty big so I dont think you should have to many issue if the grass is cut very short. I preffer to fly mine with out the fuel drop tanks as they create alot of drag when the aircraft is flying and at the elevation that i fly from extra drag is BAD. The stock set up is just OK depending on the elevation that you fly from. I fly from an elevation of nearly 5000ft above sea level. So it has been my experience that the stock power plants in these chinese made foamies are grossly under powered. So when I buy a new airframe, I plan on spending the extra money on a quality EDF/ higher KV motor/ higher Amp ESC and minimum of a 3300mah 40C discharge batteries for my 70mm EDF jets. But this is only because of the elevation that I fly at. If you live at or below 1500ft above sea level, the stock power system will probably fly your jet just fine But here is a list of power system upgrades the I have run in my F 86 and it flies fantastic.

1. E-flite 15 BL DF 3600Kv six-pole brushless motor, E-flite Delta-V 15 69mm fan unit, and E-flite 60A Pro Switch-Mode BEC ESC, this was the first swap I did and it works very well.

2. E-flite 15 BL DF 32000KV six-pole brushless motor, Change Sun 10 Blade fan unit, and an 80 AMP ESC. With this set up it requires atleast an 80 Amp ESC (of your choice) because of the 10 blades on the fan requires more amps to turn the required RPMs. This set up was pretty fast and the sound of the fan was fantastic. Be warned though when selecting a motor for this fan as its really only rated for up to a 3400KV motor.

3. E-flight 15 BL DF 3600KV six-pole brushless motor, HET 68mm fan, with 80Amp ESC. I ran the 80 Amp ESC because it was just in there you may be able to run a 60 Amp ESC and be just fine. This set up is probably the fastest of the three and Im tired of messing with it as it works very well.

You could even run the stock fan with a pretty much any 3000KV to 3600KVmotor, and a 60 Amp ESC if your on a budget. Getting the glued in fan out of the fuselage is a bit of a chore but just be patient and gently work it back and forth front to back and side to side and it WILL come out. When you reinstall it or a new fan set up you can use silicone. This is what I use. I only run a 1/4 inch (about 6 mm) bead of silicone down each side of the fan housing where it touches the fuselage.Its plenty strong and its much easier to remove the fan assembly if required. The only down side to using the silicone is that the cure time is about 24 hrs.

In short any quality EDF unit, 3200-4000KV motor, and the right size ESC for your moter will fly this jet very nicely for you.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Belgenland

Thank you so much SilverState RC for that very comprehensive explanation.

The sound of the Change Sun 10 blade fan is like a siren song ;-)

I read it is possible to just replace the stock blade by the new CS blade. Is it correct or do you recommand to remove the whole fan ?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM
SilverState RC

ORIGINAL: Belgenland

Thank you so much SilverState RC for that very comprehensive explanation.

The sound of the Change Sun 10 blade fan is like a siren song ;-)

I read it is possible to just replace the stock blade by the new CS blade. Is it correct or do you recommand to remove the whole fan ?

You might be able to remove the fan out of the existing edf unit. And you may even be able to remove the motor with out removing the fan housing. I havent tried to do thatas I alway replace the whole unit. Its not very hard to remove the fan housing from the fuselage. Its just tedious. But I recommend that you remove the whole assembly to save yourself some frustration. Just remember to be patient while you remove that assembly. Firm motions back and forth, front to back and side to side. The manufacture uses quite abit of glue when they install it. It will seem impossible to do with out breaking the fuselage. Dont be alarmed if while your removing the fan assembly if you hear a popping sound that sounds like breaking foam. More likely than not its just the glue joint breaking. But try to remove the fan first with out removing the whole assembly.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
mrstude

Just installed a change sun front retract assembly in mine to replace the broken stock unit. Minor alterations required but, fit real well. ( I even used the original wheel and wire) The biggest difference is the gear timing. the change sun is much faster than stock. I don't really care about the speed the wheels go up and down, just as long as they do !!!!! Hobby King has this unit as well as Altitude Hobbies, out of Colorado ! Altitute got it to my door in 3 days !
Old 06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
SilverState RC

Just installed a change sun front retract assembly in mine to replace the broken stock unit. Minor alterations required but, fit real well. ( I even used the original wheel and wire) The biggest difference is the gear timing. the change sun is much faster than stock. I don't really care about the speed the wheels go up and down, just as long as they do !!!!! Hobby King has this unit as well as Altitude Hobbies, out of Colorado ! Altitute got it to my door in 3 days !
Mine is the same way on my F 86. My nose gear retract doesnt match the mains and is much slower. When I hit the gear lever the mains are fully retracted right about the time the nose gear is half way. And in a way its almost true to scale. Because the gear doesnt always cycle at the same time. Bat atleast it works.

Thats awesome on the delievery time. I really love it when you can get your stuff shipped on the same day and receive it in a timely manner. Altitude Hobbies??? Gonna have to check them out!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM
mrstude

Yeah !!! Altitude Hobbies is my new best friend !!!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:43 PM
ajp
My Feedback: (4)

Does anybody have an extra hobbyking f86 pilot figure. I am in desperate need of one.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.