Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Choosing a jet

Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a jet

Ok first off i have never flown an rc plane before. Raced and drove many rc cars. Nitro and electrics. I know a jet isnt a good first choice. I plan on buying a simulator and mastering that before even attemptimg. I am pretty dead set on an edf jet. I just like jets.

I have searched the forums and net for the past week. I started out on banana hobbies. The selection was nice and vids were cool. But the reviews seem pretty bad. I definatly dont want a plane with defective or missing parts. Or a plane that just wont fly. Seems like a higher rate of bad then good.

Ok i dont want to spend a fortune. But i dont want a total under powered glitchy pos either. I know most of these foam planes are pretty cheap.

Whats the deal with nitro planes? They have an f18 for a 109 bucks thats caught my eye. The white and blue one.

Are the rtf radios good enough or terrible?

I need a route to go. What i need to buy etc. If i should buy a frame and put my own crap in it etc. I need everything including a simulator.

I suppose a good radio could be used for any plane i buy? And also good lipo batteries? Good jet simulator?

I want stable, fast and easy to fly. I want to be sucessful on my first flight. I know it will be hard.

I like f22, f35, f18, f16, f4, f117

Any tips would be appreciatef.

Not a big a10 fan.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 AM
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Choosing a jet

You're doomed..........
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 AM

Hahaha!!!

Well your probably right. Its alright though.

Thats why i want the best cheap jet i can buy. Beater jet that just flies decent. I mean they are all foam crap anyways.

If i crush it i can just buy another kit or something.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM
My Feedback: (32)

try something with a big wing that's not too fast, like the Grumman Panther.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
My Feedback: (22)

A good simulator is Real Flight.  If you get the expansion packs they provide a good selection of jets.  The reason I like it best is because I can connect my real radio to the simulator and get practice with the equipment that I'll actually be using out at the field.

Just use some common sense and don't fly around people or buildings your first time.  Even experienced pilots crash.  It's always a good idea to go out with someone who knows how to fly and have them fly your plane first to check it out.  I thought I'd be able to fly my first time after I spent many many hours on the simulator.  The real world is a lot different than you expect.  My biggest problem was the realization that I was in control of a REAL plane that cost me a lot of money, which made me nervous and when the ailerons stopped working at low altitude I couldn't think fast enough to get the plane out of its death spiral.

I also recommend buying a good radio to use with any planes you might acquire after your first.  6-9 channels, digital, etc.  (It's been a while since I bought a new radio so I'm not sure what bells and whistles they have these days).  Just don't skimp on the radio, that was another mistake I made at first.  You'll likely "grow" out of a less expensive radio pretty quick.  It will mean that you'll likely have to replace any receivers that might come pre-installed in some ARF/RTF planes in order to be compatible, but that's just a good idea anyways.  The electronics that come with most inexpensive kits aren't worth the effort to throw them away, servos included.

Others might have their own opinion and advice, this is just my two cents.  Good luck!!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
My Feedback: (23)

if your really gonna start with a jet, atleast do the buddy box system at a proper flying club so your not jeopardizing everyones safety, including your own safey and liability.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I like Phoenix sim. I am a die heart HH/PZ and spektrum fan. I highly HIGHLY suggest NOT NOT NOT getting an edf. If will be a waste of money and end up in a pile of foam. Here's the problem with banahobbies and nitroplanes the price and planes are noobie bait, but the plans are NOT for new guys. They are very rarley setup properly from the factory and usually need mods and other things done before flying them I have a few planes from NP, the best being a Airfield 800mm T-28. One huge problem you are going to find with BH and NP is no parts in stock. Once you ding something up thats not ca repairable normally your screwed until you mod something to work . I would highly suggest starting off with Phoenix flight sim a DX5 and a Parkzone T-28. Start with flying and practicing the T-28 on Phoenix then move to the actual plane. Best part about phoenix is you'll be use to using your DX5 with it. Even the UM T-28 is a great place to start. Awesome little plane. I flew for a few years before moving to edf's and trust me it was worth the time and patience. Even though I have been flying for a while and have pretty decent fleet size crashes still happen. Me and flight buddy both had bad days last week he KILLED his Mig 15 and I laid down my L-39 really hard )but repairable), but Idid have some AWESOME flights with the PZ Habu which is also on phoenix, so after you get stick time and practice time with your T-28 just select the Habu in Phoenix and give that a try.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=RTM30R5510

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1580

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ5080

This thread says it all http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1491950