Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

GWs A10 EDf55's

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:51 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GWs A10 EDf55's

Whoops somehow i screwed up the quote thing!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:03 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks E, I will change out the wire for the landing gear to fit my new wheels, I have a question I haven't had a chance to open my A10 yet because my shop is being rebuilt can you tell me if the wing is undercambered or is it a flat bottom wing? I think it will perform pretty well with the EDF 55's and 2025-3600 Himax motors? I am waiting for my two Phoenix 10 ESC's and my Phoenix USB programmer that I bought with the ESC because I have several other Phoenix controllers.
Thanks Joe
Old 08-23-2004, 04:09 PM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

built my 55-150 hog and tried to fly it with 8 cell 1050KAN.
I kept the gear on without the extra servo. (all the gear weighs just a little over .5 OZ)
first try started on the ground.... could not get it up.
next try I took a running start to hand launch it.... 6 feet off the ground is all i could get it. too low to turn i cut the engines before i get a chain link fence. Broke the tail off and almost broke the fuse in half. I glued it back together with 5 min epoxy and its as strong as brand new. Im going to upgrade to the 300s and try again with a 3 cell lithium.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:35 PM
viper21

Fly, I have read about guys flying the GWS A10 with stock motors but not many and I think everything needs to be just perfect. Thats why I went with one of the brushless combos from http://www.e-flightline.com/ If you click on the Videos button and scroll down to the last A10 near the bottom of th page and thats the combo I bought. I got the Himax 2015-3600's in the EDF55's with two Phoenix 10's and I also bought the Phoenix link and software off their website. Jeff AKA Splash at E-Flightline.com told me that the 3600's are the fastest of all the A10 combos and I will use my Thunder Power 3S 2100 and 1900 packs I will probably install removable landing gear with a steerable nosewheel so I can fly it at my glow field thats all pavement.
Viper
Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

I have two himax 2025-4200s and one phenix 25. all i need is one more speed controller and I can do this.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:46 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason why I did not go brushless was simple. I just felt that $300 was to much for th quality of this foam . My biggest investment was $79 for the thunder power 2100 11.1. I have some basic suggestions to the stock kit if you stay stock or brushless. One reinforce the control horn on the elevator with very light ply or replace and make your own (it will flex under load ). Two I made a simple V shaped wire bend and connected both elevators together aft of the fuse .This gave me more positive control because the elevator will tend to move up and down slightly differant on the side that dose not have the control horn. I always left the steering servo off and wheels , Use foam safe CA for repairs , exposxy will start to add weight . Before building , sand the entire plane , the small bumps are mountains to the scale of this plane . lastly if you go with lipos, and you have not started building yet hollow the inner nose under the fuse to take the battery aprox 2inches from the nose lating flat .You will see that if you cut a hatch there is a perfact hollow already started in there and all you need to do is hollow under the cockpit to gandle the batter laying flat .
The plane flys great with these simple mods and balances perfactly .I aslo installed the speed control before joining the fuse so I could get it further forward . This give you planty of planning and good pathways for the wires .
Old 08-24-2004, 01:05 PM
viper21

Thanks for the tips LDM, I agree with you about spending 300 dollars but I already had the Lipos and the Phoenix 10's so I only had to buy the motors. I am going to build the RBC A10 while I am flying my GWS A10 and when its done I will install the Himax motors in two Micro Fans and fly the RBC A10. I am also fiberglassing the GWS and RBC A10 with .50 oz cloth and thinned West Epoxy and am airbrusing them. In the mean time I will fly the GWS A10 and when it dies or the I finish the RBC A10 I will transfer the gear to it.
And I am using hollow carbon fiber tubes in place of the bamboo dowels to strengthen the fuse and wing and I bought the white slope soarer plane as it was cheaper I will most likely install removable fixed landing gear with a steerable nosewheel.
I will keep you posted
Viper
Old 08-25-2004, 06:52 PM
LDM

Viper , good hearing from you and good luck , I just had mine out again and it flys great as modified .
did you ever get the H9 Corsiar ?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:45 PM
viper21

Thanks LDM, how are things going with you ? I am starting the A10 this weekend I have almost got my shop cleaned up at least now I can see the floor because I had to many boxes[X(] So I have allot of building to do this Fall and Winter.
I passed on the H9 Corsair and I bought a new World Models P51D 60 ARF because its a nice plane and I am installing my new OS 91 Pumped Surpass III with a Slimline inverted pitts muffler. I am installing the Robart 85degree 551RS they are bored for Robo Struts and I am getting the 653L&653R offset Robo Struts. I am going to do some re enforcing the retract plates and the ribs they sit in I will make some 1/8 rib doublers and epoxy in some 2 oz cloth and West Epoxy after that the mounts should be strong and I am landing on smooth pavement. I may need to make some mods for the retracts so I will get both done. http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...?airplaneid=60
I also liked the WM P51 because it has flaps.
I also came across a great deal on a Top Flight NIB 1/5 scale P51D Mustang,not the ARF or RTC but the full on built up kit so I have some work this winter for me
Viper
Old 08-28-2004, 04:23 PM
LDM

Things are good , I have the H9 , its a great plane , put in Century gear , have a new VQ P40 as my next project .
I love the A 10 , not bad out of the box , I have up trim on the Elevator so hand launching is a breeze . Good speed and good running times .
Running a Thunder Power lipo 11.1 , as stated if you put it in the fromt end it flys great
Old 08-28-2004, 05:18 PM
viper21

Hi LDM, did you get my PM and return to your email yet? Thanks for the tips on the A10 I will make sure that there is enough room to fit the lipos. And since I am lightly fiberglassing and then airbrushing the plane with Tamiya acrylics it should look good

You got a VQ P40 wow that is a nice plane I looking at the pictures of new one that someone posted in the forum, I cant rember but was that you? What engine are you planning to run? I need to get a new gas engine for my 1/5 Top Flight P51 kit that I am building this Fall and Winter.
Thanks Again
Viper
Old 08-29-2004, 11:49 AM
LDM

The Pictures were Rich Lee , he did a great job on the plane and has also posted video on the flights . I think I am going with a magnum 91 4 cycle, has some trouble with the magnum 52 in another plane but it was mt fault .
I think i answered your question on my home emale .
Good luck with the A10 , light glass should be intertesting and give you good strength .
Old 11-30-2004, 10:13 AM
RickAvery

Well, I tried for some info in a new post with no luck I'll try here. A-10 pilots and builders. I’m looking for info and tips on building up a recently acquired GWS A-10. My wife, being the good wife that she is, got me a GWS A-10 for my birthday. It’s the EDF-55-150 model. The plan is to go brushless from the get-go. I’ve ordered from e-flightline a set of hi-max 20-15 4100 fans and ESCs. My biggest questions are with building up the air-frame with any mods necessary to strengthen and how you guys have done that. After watching my bro-in-laws tiger moth 400s wings break at the slightest hint of a rough landing, they’re from the same company, the same material & approx. The same size and thickness, I’ve decided to strengthen the wing with a spar of some sort. Any suggestions? How about strengthening the nacelle supports? I understand these tend to fail on rough landings. I’ll be shelving the landing gear and belly landing only. How about any spars or supports in the fuselage and tail sections? So far the only thing I’ve done to the kit is to sand off the molding nubs. I won’t complete the decoration until after it’s assembled and flying. I have also read in other posts that if built per the instructions, it will be tail heavy. Many are cutting an access hole in the front of the fuse. to put your batts in and get a better CoG. I haven’t gone to Lipos yet maybe it’s time? From reading many posts I have found much info. and would appreciate any other tips. Happy flying!
Rick
Old 11-30-2004, 01:35 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Looks to me like you have things well covered. And yes, go lopos.......
Old 11-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Lizlips

What is the most powerfull motor for the A-10? I just put the EDF-55-300H units and it flys alot better but still struggles somewhat. I am using a 3Cell 1200mah Lilpoly
Old 12-02-2004, 12:29 PM
tangeray

Heres my experience with the EDF55-300H model.........

Normal built, no modifications....I barely used any of that ****ty GWS glue and used all 5 min epoxy. I didnt reinforce my engine nacelles either. I use a 2 cell 7.4v LIPOLY 2000 mah KOKAM pack for power, a 15amp Speed controller, and use the Hitec Feather Flight Pack (Max range is only about 500 feet).

First Taxi Check---Put the thing on the ground and it sat on its ass, added like half the clay to the nose

Second Taxi Check--- Sat on its ass again.....my buddy threw some lead on there for me, (not sure of the weight, but it was 4 blocks)

Third Taxi Check---- That nosewheel sucks and doesnt turn the plane for ****. Had to use full power bursts with full down elevator and aileron engagement to get it to turn.

First Flight---added some more weight to put CG righht at about 55mm......Sped down the runway and tried to lift off,,,,,a lil hop in the air before I had to throttle it down because it was heading towardas a fence.. I turned it the other way and sped down the runway. She took off gracefully but no where near overpowered. Did a slight turn to the left and I lost it in the backdrop of the night. You know that feeling when you cant see your model, but you can hear the motors going and you use the sound of the motors to determine if your nose high or nose low. Well, I kept turning it and mostly full up elevator blindly. It was dark out for 8 seconds of the flight!!! Then all of a sudden, it appeared over a tree in the foreground heading slightly nose high towards me. But, I had cut the power like .5 seconds before I saw it as to prepare for the crash landing. When I cut power, it nosed over faster then a hooker on a 2 for 1 night. Hit the tree and got cradled. NO DAMAGE..!!!!!....Gonna go fly it AT THE R/C FEILD today....no more dark streets with this one. Will update later.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

With the edf 55-300's you need a 3 cell lipoly. 2 cells will not cut it - and don't worry the motors on the 300 version can take it.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:29 PM
mattcp67

I am in the process of upgrading to brushless and was researching ESC's. I saw this post and it sounded great - one controller for two motors. I just called Kontronik product support with regard to the brushless ESC mentioned in this post and they stated that they do not recommend this and it is not stated in their product documentation that one controller can be used for two motors. The rep indicated that this would probably burn something out and would void any warranty on the speed controller. As to whether it would actually work properly with two motors, he declined to comment for liability reasons. I am not trying to flame anyone, but as someone new to the hobby, I thought it important to let other newbies know. Use a single controller set-up at your own risk!!
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Lizlips

What brushless motors will work for the A-10? Will they make it actually have some power?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:06 PM
bartenational

new guy here.

maidin flight of my GWS a10 today with 730mah nimh pack and edf 55's....
it looks cool!!

but flys
about ten feet!

I kept trying until I broke the fuseloge

I glued it back and went back
to try again

still nothing....

meanwhile my GWS Beaver flew like crazy on the same pack.

tommorow will install landing gear and try a faster run.

wish me luck!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
LDM

My best set up stock is all follows .
Battery Thunder power Lipo 2100mah/11.1volt
This battery is placed in a special compartment that you make by cutting the very front panel on the bottom of the plane at the nose .YOu cut on the scale panel lines , this will reveal a small hollow that you can dremmel out and allow for this batter to sit flat .

The speed control must be as far forward as possible , the battery connection is made in the stock battery compartment .

This set up allows great balance , no weight needed , flight time of 2 /10 miniutes sessions so that you dont burn the motors out .

You will see this plane glide like a baby on ice when you release the plane at full power it simply tracks straight right out of your hands .

I also notive flutter in the elevator of this plane based on the poor stock set up .So I made a simple V bend wire , attached it to both halfs of the elevatots advoiding contact with the fuse and you will get a great even solid elevtor control .
Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
skyhawknut

bartenational,
No offence - but if you had read the rest of this thread - you will find that the pack you are using will not get you anywhere. It can't put out the power required to fly the 55's. MAYBE the 150 motors - but it sounds like you have the 300 motors. Either get yourself a lipoly or an 8 cell pack of GP 1100's. If you must use the pack you have - it works well with the 50 version.

If you simply try again - you will end up with the same results you already had.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
bartenational

I have the GWS A10 with edf 55's it definately lacks power, it glides pretty nice, but doesn't have the muscle to go up.

shoot, I just read on balsa prod there is an edf 55/150 and an edf55/300
I of course have the edf 55/150
maybe that is the problem

let me know if anyone gets their A-10 in the air and what set up you are using

thanks Bart
Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 AM
peroni

I have bought the edf55-150 version and found like everybody else that it is underpowered, even trying to will it into the air didnt work!!! I have replaced all GWS wiring with a higher gauge and on static testing seems to have made a huge difference. I am waiting for the wind to ease up a little then will be going out to see what happens.

This is my second r/c plane and love the way it flies (even though it was only 10 foot up)!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:00 AM
skyhawknut

peroni,
What battery are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.