Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

New to EDF Jets

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New to EDF Jets

Hi Guys;

I'm new to EDF Jets and just ordered my first jet from Mark Turner, a F-18. This was a most gracious man to deal with and I wish more folks were as sweet as he was to me.

I want the optimum battery, electric motor and ESC for this model...

I'm not new to R/C, and I started into the hobby with rubber powered escapements and single channel. I can fly, and consider myself a decent Sunday pilot. I've used only Nicad Batterys so far...so I'm into changing and using the new cutting edge electric equipment out in the EDF Jet hobby.

I would love any help from the more experienceed EDF Jet jocks out there.

Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 08-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Eject

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to EDF Jets

Hey is there a website 4 where you bought the F18.Thanks.Sry i couldnt as i am new to EDF my self but not r/c.

Thanks
Jared
Old 08-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Vario-RCU

ORIGINAL: Eject

Hey is there a website 4 where you bought the F18.Thanks.Sry i couldnt as i am new to EDF my self but not r/c.

Thanks
Jared

Jared: www.rtmodels.com right here in Florida. Or www.warbirds-rc.com out in Kalifornia
Old 08-07-2004, 07:50 PM
HelicopterKid
My Feedback: (1)

thanks man

Jared
Old 08-11-2004, 10:49 AM
CTulanko

Bob,

Welcome to EDF and I would like to say that you made a good choice in EDF's as the HET-RC FA-18 is one of the best ARF's available...period!!! Most guys I know are flying it with one of a couple setups.

First, the battery. I am using a 10-cell 1950FAUP Nimh pack from www.cheapbatterypacks.com. The battery was built in their "custom" section and the config is a "double stick" with two rows of 5 lengthwise capable of supplying 40+amps. It easily fits in the cockpit compartment. The other battery setup, while more expensive, is newer tech and consists of a 3S2P LIPO (Lithium) pack from TP(Thunder Power) or Tanic. Please note that you should look for the new 10-15C Lipo packs, which have a higher current discharge rate for a specified capacity. Also realize that the Lipo pack consists of TWO seperate 3S1P 2100mah or higher packs, connected in parallel. The parallel connection makes it a 3S2P with 4200mah capacity and the ability to support near 50 amps.

The big advantage of Lipo's are they are a few ounces lighter and yield a longer flight time than the 1950FAUP's. Also, he ThunderPower brand Lipo Packs appear to fit inside the fuselage better than the Tanic or Kokams. I get 3-4 minutes on my 1950FAUP, while the 3S2P Lipos are yielding around 7-9 minutes of flight time. Even with the higher capacity, you should break up Lipo flights into two 4 minute flights to keep the battery temp down.

For me, 4 minutes of flying is more than enough for this jet and it gives me a break in between flights. The 1950FAUP 10-cell packs run around $53, while the 3S 2100mah or higer packs are around $75-90 each and you need two of them in parallel. You could do with one of the newer single 3S1P 4800-5200mah packs, but they can run around $175+ each. I went with the FAUP's because I can have multiple packs for the price of one single Lipo and if one goes bad, I still have two spares at the same cost of a single Lipo setup. However, Lipo is the wave of the future and I am slowly weaning over, but only on smaller stuff for now.

Please note this follows your request of a good performance package, which includes the batteries above and a brushless motor setup. Your brushless ESC (electronic speed controller) should be rated to at least 40amps; I have used the Kontronik Smile 40-6-12, which has since ben replaced by the 45-6-12 and is sold by the same company from which you purchased your kit. the 45 stands for 45amps and the 6-12 means it can handle 6 to 12 cells. I have also used a Hacker Master 40-3B, which is thier newest 40 amp controller and is fully programable. There are other brands of controllers out there, but these are some of the best and are capable of handling heavy use, IMHO.

Motor setups can vary and I have used the Mega 16-15-2T and the Kontronik Fun 400-36. The Kontronik is heavier and capable of handling more watts; I use it in my FA-18 these days and with 10-cells it flys very well. The Mega 2T in contrast is an animal for the jet. The 2T motor screams and really makes the model cook! 10 cells is the max though for the Mega 2T though, where the Kontronik will support up to 14 cells, in which case I would need a different ESC like the 18 cell version. Something to consider would be to invest an extra $50 or so up front on a 70amp ESC. It may be overkill, but would run cool for almost any application and proabably last a lifetime.

In summary, the Fun 400-36 is a good solid flier, while the Mega 2T is an animal that may have a shorter life, only because it is lighter in weight and you are pushing the limits of the motor with 10 cells. It's your call and I hope you found this information useful. One other tip would be to go to the distributor, www.warbirds-rc.com and check out their "Resources" page, which has "my" build of the model listed step by step with over 200 photos. It should help answer any other questions you may have on the setup and where to put things. the biggest tip I can give you is to keep the ESC in the thrust tube. I have yet to see one survive outside it and you will be amazed how cool all that thrust can keep the ESC during flight.

Best wishes and good luck,

Carl