Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Kyosho T-33 Modifications >

Kyosho T-33 Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Kyosho T-33 Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho T-33 Modifications

I just won a T-33 kit by Kyosho off eBay. I have the 1999 MAN issue with the feild tests and they say it's a good performer out of the box. Aside from upgrading the motor, could I gain more thrust by decreasing the diameter of the duct outlet? I am watching a video as I type,(1993 SouthWestern Fan Fly) and I see the diameter is smaller on the scale models of the T-33. Especially Bob Violett's version. Just a thought as this is my first electric and first jet. Any recommendations would be great.

Put the gear down before you hit the dirt...

Ian
Old 08-21-2005, 02:07 AM

Default RE: Kyosho T-33 Modifications

IanWar,

Here's the list of mods I did to mine.

1. First, before you join the fulelage halves, sand down the bumps in front of the inlets flush. This will improve air flow to the fan.

2. Upgrade to a brushless power set-up. Keep the stock fan as it isn't bad. I have a Mega 16/15/2 and Castle Creations Phoenix 45 in mine. I originally flew on 6 GP 3300 NiMH cells, but converted to a 2S LiPo. Another good option is a Mega 16/15/3 on a 3S Lipo set-up.

3. Make a smooth exhaust duct by lining the insides of the fuselage halves with clear plastic tape. Best done before fuselage assembly.

I don't recommend changing the duct diameter. This may actually decrease thrust (with a corresponding increase in efflux velocity). Mine hand launches easily and has sufficient thrust for climb-out. It also flies very well on brushless power.

Lastly, if you don't like the stock color scheme, you can easily change that as well. I covered mine with SolarFilm and Hobby Lobby's SuperKote (rebranded SolarFilm).

Good luck with your T-33. They are wondeful flyers.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66126.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	313067  
Old 09-10-2005, 04:49 AM

Hello i modified my T-33 with a vasa fan and a Mega 16/15/2, made a home made trusttube of depron!
Because the vasa is smaller in diameter the trusttube is necesary!
It's a great preformer enjoy it!!

Name:	Ig11103.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	322094  
Old 09-15-2005, 12:40 PM

I painted mine using regular car paint from spray cans, put in a Kontronik 400/42 brushless motor, a 3S LiPo and a WeMoTek 480 minifan, and it flies like a bat out of..... well, you know! [:-]

It looks amazing in the air and is very aerobatic, I can fly consecutive loops until the battery runs out!

Enjoy it - it will give you many good flights!

Tor/Norway

Name:	Ki19145.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	324456  
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM

How about the cg with the lipo's? Do you need any lead in the nose?
Your T-33 looks great Icepilot! I'am also going too paint my bird!
In coulors of the dutch airforce
Old 09-30-2005, 09:14 AM

Hey, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have been doing research for a few months now and I have achieved a list of mod's I plan to use. It will be a great winter project. I will post successive photos as I build it for those interested. I hope it turns out well. The kit being unavailable makes me push to do a great job on this one.

Ian
Amsterdam, NY
Old 09-30-2005, 09:51 AM

You will not need any ballast in the nose, there is sufficient room to move the LiPos forward and balance the plane with them.
I hate lead!! It doesn't fly very well!!

Tor
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM
My Feedback: (6)

YEEEEHAWWW.....i finally got the t-33 up in the air......but what a ride.....i dont know if i have cg right( set up per manual at 40 mm ) when i had my dad hand launch it after a running start he tossed it and it went up at a 65 degree angle and flew like it was really tail heavy.....after a couple of snaps i finnaly got it to fly somewhat good but still tail heavy. after bout 3 mins of FUN i brought it in and made a nice touchdown......ha it was over. anyway....i asking what cg you guys are using so i can go out and have a good time with this hell of a plane.

Thanks
paul bingham
Old 10-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Drug my T-33 out of storage, and planned on flying with new lighter batteries. How are you guys getting the T-33 to balance with Lipos??

Trying with a 2200 3s pack (6.2 oz), original power, castle 35A speed control, Spectrum receiver.  Plan on brushless, but if it won't balance, what's the point of going further.   Even with the battery taped to the front of the nose it won't balance close. Balanced fine with old batteries, one (1600 sub c's)12oz and one (8 cell sanyo high capacity 2000's) 16oz.    Changing out the motor isn't going to make that much diference.  Been flying long enough to know that it's hard to make up for 6 missing OZ on a plane this light, when battery location can't change. That is a big percentage of the plane's overall weight. Something has to give somewhere.  The original decals on the tail aren't heavy enough to make a difference, are they? Was going to pull them off anyway, since they are looking pretty bad after this long.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don
Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Oh yeah, I always balanced it at the hand launch holes.

Don
Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Mine is totally stock. Flies with a 3 cell 3700 pack in the nose - balances fine. I just limit the throttle (amp meter installed and limit it to 35 amps - same as an 8 cell pack) The 3700 actually weighs slightly less than the 8 cell 1700 nicad I had. Gets about 6.5 min of decent flying.