Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Converting GWS fan to Brushless.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Converting GWS fan to Brushless.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 PM
ledzep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting GWS fan to Brushless.

Hey yall, i am bulding a jet with two EDF GWS fans, and i am trying to take the brushed motor out so i can put a brushless in it. The thing is that these motors do NOT want to come out! The blades are pushed on to a metal shaft that attaches on the motor shaft with a couple screws. I took the screws out and the blades still wont budge! Does any one have any clue on how to do this properly?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:39 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Converting GWS fan to Brushless.

The simplest method is to buy a couple of fans units w/o motors.

I have never been able to get the impellors off the motor shafts, even after using a hair drier to heat the impellor. No matter what I did, all I managed to accomplish was to bugger up the hubs...[]
Old 04-30-2006, 12:35 AM
gunracer

if those are the same edfs i have, the grub screws hold the impeller adapter onto the shaft only...they do not retain the rotor (fan) which is just press fit onto the impeller adapter...place the unit upside down over an open vise or two wooden blocks...from the rear of the unit, use a nylon punch and hammer to slowly and gently force the rotor off the impeller adapter...getting the rotor off is the easy part...the hard part is getting the impeller adapter off the motor shaft...i use a paint can opener and slowly pry it off...if you want photos of the process, let me know...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:05 PM
ledzep

Thank you for the information. If you could send photos that would be great. I got the impeller off of the metal hub but the hub is the hardest thing for me.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 AM
whissel_blowa

Drill the hole in the side of the fan housing out to 4mm and then use a small flat blade screwdriver to lever the hub adaptor off the shaft, lever, rotate, lever, rotate, this has always worked for me.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:44 PM
gunracer

ledzep,

as stated, leverage is the key...get a paint can opener from home depot...it looks like a slotted head screw driver but has an angle to it...wedge it between the bottom of the impeller adapter and motor and give it a firm twist...the adapter will begin to pry off...it could be a 5-10 min process so be patient...once you have it off, test fit the adapter on your new motor shaft...either sand down the shaft or ream the adapter out as needed...i recommend relying more on the grub screws to secure the adapter than friction fit...makes removal if necessary much easier...i would not recommend cutting into the fan housing...besides not being pretty to look at, it might unbalance the edf and/or cause turbulence in the air entering the fans...my 2 cents...good luck...