Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

how do I do this?!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

how do I do this?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM
jamesflies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I do this?!?!?

hey every one. i am in the middle of a build, and i am about to install two vasa 400 ducted fan units with 480 motors. i was wondering how to wire them. do i use two esc's with two batteries? or do i use just one 20 amp esc because the motors require 9 amps each? im confused any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: how do I do this?!?!?

Depends if you are using brushed or brushless motors.

If brushed motors, I would wire the motors in parallel. The total current draw will be 9 amps x 2 = 18 amps. This will allow the use of one 20 amp ESC and a single battery. Both motors will "see" the full voltage so the RPM will be at its maximum. Good for EDF's.

Not sure what battery you plan on using but I'm guessing somewhere between 8 and 10 cells for NiMh or a 3S lipo.

You could also wire the motors in series. The total current will be reduced but each motor would only "see" exactly half of the available voltage, thus the fans will not have high RPM. Not so good for EDF's.

If it were me, I would stay with the parallel arrangement.

If you are using brushless motors, then your safest bet is to use two ESC's. The motors must be wired independently of each other but you can still use a single battery in this case as well.

What plane are you installing the fans?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
jamesflies

i Designed my own plane on CAD its sort of a cross between an F117 and an F1phantom its scary. will have photos when build is complete. but thanks for the help
Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 AM
bigchap

if you use 2 esc's you must disable the bec on one or your rx will get fried as it will be fed twice the amount of volts it needs.