Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Converting a midwest jetster20 to electric ducted fan

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Converting a midwest jetster20 to electric ducted fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:17 PM
jon6516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a midwest jetster20 to electric ducted fan

I flew a Midwest Jetster20 with a Kress RK-740 back in the early 80’s, modified with flaplerons; all before I was married, a child, and then I forgot about my hobbies. Time moves on, as did the kid. We (the parents) moved (ran away from home) 2 years ago to a home with a basement that is usable for more than storage. Last winter I was sorting thought the boxes of things that came out of the old basement and low and behold there is the old Jetster less power, a crack through the fuse and the wing looks somewhat wrong, I haven’t done more than look at my find, but I do have all the original plans in the original box. Now I need power and possibly a wing. I was pulling between 7-8 pounds of thrust (measured with a fish scale). I liked the way it flew. However, not the cleanup and tuning of a gas powered fan and added tuning of the pipe.

Now I want to take the Jetster and convert to electric and replace what is need with Carbon-Fiber or Kevlar. Where do I start looking for a fan and motor that will put out 7-8 ponds of static thrust. How do I keep I all cool with out messing with the aerodynamics of my airframe. In addition, the nautical that was a part of the fan\engine, has not yet been found, and I may not find it, if I sold it off. I will need a suitable replacement (electric). HELP. I need direction as to how to start. I think I can build a heat sink for the packs (I use to hot rod computers and built cooling for the overheated hardware). Can I hang the heatsinks for the packs and speed control in the air stream along the fuselage to bleed off the heat? How do I work the Kevlar or Carbon-Fiber, I was told I have to bake it to harden the form.