Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

how to choose a controler?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

how to choose a controler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to choose a controler?

hi all,

i am new to electrics.... so i need some basic explanations

if i use a mega 16/15/2 (vasafan 65) with a kokam 3200 shd 3s what jeti shoud i hook it up to?

the mega specs the a cont. of about 40 A
the li-po gives 70 A

so 40 A or 70 A? or something in between like a 60 A?

thanks 4 help!
V.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
CTulanko

Default RE: how to choose a controler?

vasek,

With the Vasa 65 fan, you will probably pull 30-40 amps depending on the aircraft and ducting. While this makes the 40 amp ESC feasable, it would be better if you purchased a larger ESC, giving you some headroom in the current area. I always suggest buying the largest and best you can up front with the realization you can use it in larger models later on. A 70 amp ESC that supports 2-6S Lipos would be good for anything from your project, all the way to a 90mm midifan setup...it's just smart buying.

Also note that a larger ESC will actually run cooler and dissipate heat better (a fact) and they usually have a lower internal resistance, so they produce more power for the same setup. I have seen differences from 50-100 watts more depending on the model and size of the ESC used. If you are on budget, the SPT 60 or 80 at www.warbirds-rc.com work well and are a great buy. If you want midrange quality, the Castle Creations Phoenix 60 or 80 would fit the bill. For top quality and programability, the Hacker Master70-O is one of the best you can buy and the most programable. The Kontronik and Schulze are also very good, but have more limited programming. Remember that above 3S, you will need to use a seperate receiver power source like a U-BEC ot small 270mah Nimh battery.

Carl
Old 10-21-2006, 12:34 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: how to choose a controler?

Thanks Carl, very informative!
your "best buy" info you provided, as I am in Europe right now (Czech Rep.). But I will look for the items you metioned.

BTW when you say "above" 3S I hope it doesn't mean it includes the 3S (just making sure )

Vasek

oh - and the plane is Vasa F-5