Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Are the TP Extreme (and other +20C) LiPos that good for us ? ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Are the TP Extreme (and other +20C) LiPos that good for us ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:52 AM
bmichels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the TP Extreme (and other +20C) LiPos that good for us ? ?

Well, the more I read this forum, the more I think that for flight where flying time is +8 minutes (average bellow 8c), there is no real advantege to use those SUPER HIGH C rate packs. they are much more heavy than the "old" 15c type packs ! ! plus we can find some good deals on the "old" generation" packs.

For example Thunder power 4500 eXTreme weight the same than the "old" TP 5300 ! ! ! TP 5000 extreme weight same as Prolite 6000 ! ! I am not sure that the extra volts in use will compensate for the extra 18 - 20% capacity !!

So, even if I fly aerobatic and EDF jets, since I always want to have 8minutes minimum flight, I am seriously considering not following those "marketing Lipos guys" and buying several "old 12 - 15C" packs !

Who agree with me ?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:45 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are the TP Extreme (and other +20C) LiPos that good for us ? ?

I have to disagree with you as you got DURATION very much mixed up with discharge rates. Let's talk about your plane maybe pulling 60A okay. So you can use DIDDLYSQUAT 15C 4,500 mAh batts or the new DON-GIVE-A-JACK 20C 3,300 mAh batteries. Of course the 4,500 packs will give you more duration for obvious reasons but then you are taxing the packs. The 'newer' 20C can handle the higher discharge rate and more often than not the improvement in performance out weighs the extra weight.

One thing you have not looked into is how much PUNCH you can get out of the higher performance packs, they are made for a higher discharge and they will deliver the amps faster (all things being equal and if you are not buying the cheap stuff).

As for the 12C-15C batteries they are only made via process optimisation, the newer 20C batteries are not based on that, its so called re-engineered. Hence, they are better.

Also, be careful of the China made batteries, most are bad news if you are using it in a hgh performance set up. You really cannot escape buying the branded ones. I have used China made batts and they are all bad news save for one that I tried.

In as much as it is marketing there is also truth in it. If it is for scale flying and cruising about, any 15C pack will suffice, if you wanna go into hotliners and EDF etc, then you need to pay for the branded packs. It all depends on its use.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:05 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree especially for high power setups you need the new technology Thunder Power or similar packs to have reliable EDF's. Batteries Speed Controls and servos need to be top of the line along with some heat sinks or other cooling systems to keep that heat wave from destroying your components. These new cells that TP made were specifically for ducted fan and other high power aircraft. If you are still cruising around park flyer style then stay with the old school packs.

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Old 10-24-2006, 10:15 PM
CTulanko

Bertrand...

You asked the same exact question word for word on another forum and that answer wasn't good enough? You can make your question a statement like you did if you wish, but if you are really asking a question, you will get the same answer here as well as anywhere else. To summarize, the newer technology is made better and while it may not be as beneficial to your low draw rates, it is beneficial for EDF Jets and as mentioned you get the new packs with more punch for the buck that run cooler, which allows for better longevity. Also, don't get voltage mixed up with current. While the new packs tend to hold a higher voltage, the main benefit is the current they can produce for such a small package.

You obviously prefer longer flying times over performance, while myself and many others prefer performance over flight times; it is good there are now Lipos available for both flying styles. I say to each his own and while you may prefer to stick with old technology, I for one am glad we have the wide variety of choice as to what we can use to power our models.

Carl
Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a great example about one friend of mine. He got the Ion X heli, 90 sized EP. The LHS set it up like how it was done by Miniature Aircraft. Using Kokams ... 10S 4P! The MA set up was at SEFF 2 years ago! He has a set up with 120A whilst the motor pulls only 60A. The single flight pack cost him about USD1,400!!! If he had used the lastest batteries he would have been able to get 2 flight packs for about USD900 max and the helo would be about 1 lb lighter.

To each their own ...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 AM
whissel_blowa

I think there is mis-information in all of this. Firstly the TP extreme as far as I know are just another rebranded enerland cell, same as all the other high performance Korean made lipos. 20c continuous is a factory rating which can be obtained, but at a serious loss of cycle life. If you run your 20c packs at more than 15c continuous static discharge in your EDF then you are asking for your pack to lose cycle life. Doesnt matter who makes them, run a 12c at 12c continuous all the time and same thing will happen.

Whats wrong with Chinese made cells? maybe if you buy the cheap no name stuff in malaysia then you will have problems, but there are thousands of users in the West using chinese made lipos and getting great results. I run alot of the top shelf chinese lipos in my planes, never had any problems, they hold almost the same voltage as my PolyQuest XP series (which are the current generation of Korean cells) and they perform over and over again.

Personally I find companies like TP who put "made in USA" on a product that so obviously is not, to be much more guilty of marketing hype than the brands who tell you exactly where the products come from and what their true real life performance will be. Why do they feel the need to stick made in USA on a battery?

As for weight, who cares if a true 20c battery is 10 grams or 20 grams heavier than a 15c battery? have you ever data logged an EDF flight and calculated your rpm and thrust using the above? I have, the 20c pack running at 15c holds much better voltage than the 15c pack does, and the extra RPM and thrust at the fan far outweighs the small increase in weight.

there is too much hype and misleading information on lipo batteries, fact is most of them come from only a couple of factories, as there are few factories that can make true RC capable lipos in the first place. you buy Flightpower, Hyperion, PolyQuest, PolyRC, Overlander,PolyPRO, TP, you are buying the same cell anyway! So choose the one that is value for money wherever you live...