Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Unusual application.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
IamBIGGUN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual application.

Hi everyone...

I am playing around with an idea of using an AP-900 to create positive air pressure in an enclosure and was wondering what motors would be the best for me to use. I need to generate as much pressure as possible (hopefully at least 2-4 PSI). I will be using a deep cycle 12v RV battery or a 12v power supply or combination of both. It will be run at max RPM for 20-30 second intervals and will be off for long periods of time.

Any suggestions of exact motors that would work well in this environment would REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin Miller
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Unusual application.

I don't think you can get there from here. For that amount of compression, you will need much more than a ducted fan. Pressure rises from an EDF might be measured in a couple of inches of water (1"H2O =.036 psi).

Since you plan on using a 12v battery, how about one of the tire inflating compressors that operate off the car's cigarette lighter?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 AM
IamBIGGUN

Okay, Thanks for the input.

I need HIGH flow too so a compressor would never cut it. The pressure may not be as important as I first thought. ???

I am trying to create a ram air affect at lower speeds on a hemi intake. I built a cold air intake that ended up shaving three tenthes off in a quarter mile but my 60 foot times remained the same. So this is an experiment to see if I can gain anything in the 60 foot times by making the C.A.I. as efficient ....or over efficient as possible.

I guess I got a bug in my head about it and won't be satisfied to I prove it either way.

What options would I have to run an AP900 in this situation? How high do you think I could get the RPM's?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-16-2006, 05:19 PM
talent35

Hi
I have been looking up on one of those electric superchargers .

http://www.force-flow.com/ff_warranty.htm

I have spoken to one of the reps and they run on a brushed motor and would only be good for 20 seconds max before you have to go off the gas to let the electric motor cool down .

The motors only rev. at 20000-30000 rpm .

I was thinking of using a brushless motor to gain a higher rpm and psi .

I was told by the rep that it would work .

Regards Andrew
Old 12-16-2006, 09:47 PM
IamBIGGUN

That's what I figured but I don't know the first thing about setting them up???? That's why I'm here.

It isn't really like a supercharger............it'll be more like an electric ram air.

Any ideas on what would drive an AP-900 and run on a car battery?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Team Fine Design

just curiouse,Why would you have to use 12 volts.Just stick you an onboard battery pack with switch on the stearing wheel.Hit the switch at take off and kill when you want.Now you would really have something !!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:53 PM
IamBIGGUN

Well I just wanted to wire it from the battery in the vehicle so I don't have to worry about charging or anything.

It's going to be on a momentary switch that will be on only at wide open throttle.

I guess there's no motor that will work for this application at 12 volts???????

Thanks,
Kevin