Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
canwhitewolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

ORIGINAL: websterphreaky

ORIGINAL: canwhitewolf

actually it was banana hobby not nitroplanes

Bananahobby.com is one of the many NitroPlanes.com AKAs. I actually think that RaidenTech is the base operation because their site has the most products, Notice they all have the Same hours of operation (Noon - 6 or 7 PM) and they all have the same phone number or close to the same prefix in the same LA County area. They ALL also use the same online chat service in the upper right or left corner of their many website versions. When you're chatting with "Veronica" or whoever, it's really Li Fang Hu (sic).

yes you could be right,I did ask that specific question to banana hobby...." are you the same or affilated with raidentech. nitroplanes or similar...the answer was they were not (but that doesnt mean they arent i suppose,)
ive ordered from nitroplanes and never had a problem, and certainly no problem in conversations with banana hobby

my experience has been basically positive
Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Brother, I agree. The A-10 is not a beginner plane: However if you do get one not knowing this, at least its easier to fly than something like a f-4 or something like that. I have been in this hobby for 30 years and i still learn new things.. I have the a-10 and for the $ i cant complane....ha ha. I will say to anyone BUILDING that RTF to throw the glue it come with away and use 2 pt epoxy. I wanted to add that i also scratch build rc and have started doing EP that way. Ijust took an old air trails plan, From 1939 and turned a cabinet freeflight to rc and then decided that instead of using a 09 hornet, Iwill use the gear out of a busted up cub areo-cruiser. I will let you know how it goes. Well; I guess you can tell i just joined your forum. My name is mike also.

Hey welcome to this never ending forum string on the Guanli A-10, and being a fellow owner of this good/bad/so so model. We use this string to share our good and bad experiences with the plane and various upgrade experiences - failed experiments too. Feel free to post, but please keep it only pretty closely pertaining to the Guanli A-10, upgrades and the loverly always out of stock folks at NitroPlanes, AKAs etc. who sell it.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM
cobrajocky

actually it was banana hobby not nitroplanes

Bananahobby.com is one of the many NitroPlanes.com AKAs. I actually think that RaidenTech is the base operation because their site has the most products, Notice they all have the Same hours of operation (Noon - 6 or 7 PM) and they all have the same phone number or close to the same prefix in the same LA County area. They ALL also use the same online chat service in the upper right or left corner of their many website versions. When you're chatting with "Veronica" or whoever, it's really Li Fang Hu (sic).

yes you could be right,I did ask that specific question to banana hobby...." are you the same or affilated with raidentech. nitroplanes or similar...the answer was they were not (but that doesnt mean they arent i suppose,)
ive ordered from nitroplanes and never had a problem, and certainly no problem in conversations with banana hobby

my experience has been basically positive
Yeah, I debated a guy on another forum posting who claimed he worked for BananaHobby and claimed they weren't the same company. I asked him why then are their customer service phone numbers the same, at the same address and carry exactly the same planes. He stopped responding to the forum. Guess that answered the question. I think that they think they are pulling a "fast one" on all us RCer's by having dozens of different company names and sites, because they know we all do comparison shopping on the internet. If they flood the internet with a few dozen companies all with the same models, close to the same prices, they win no matter who you order from. Right?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 AM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Returning back to A-10 subject I had another successful flight with it. This time I was testing the battery. I setup the timer for 3 minutes (on throttle stick) and from the start till the beeper went off I kept her full throttle all the time. Brushless version (I mean upgraded to BL) of this plane can do all the tricks listed on Nitromodels site - don't expect anything of it from the stock setup. Rolls are quite fast and loops are doable but not much power to spare. After 3 minutes of quite fun I set it up for landing. The plane glides very well and can be slow down to crawl - it can take quite big angle of attack without any bad habits.

After landing I check how much juice I got left - it was no more than 15 seconds left. So if you are flying 3 cell 1100 battery set your timer to 3 minutes, and at the first beep just land or there may be not enough power left for the radio.

The battery was quite hot, but not as much that I couldn't touch it. Obviously this is not the best environment for these cells but they are doing OK so far. Let's see how many flights they survive before loosing capacity.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 AM
canwhitewolf

ORIGINAL: RysiuM

Right now Guanli A-10 (upgraded) is performing well too. It still has a warm place in my heart So maybe it is time for another upgrade: anyone tried to put retracts on this plane (or GWS one)?

found a couple of things on retracts for A10 maybe this is of some help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285671

some retracts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285671
Old 06-20-2008, 11:37 AM
swiggyj

flew again last night, about ten minutes - two flights. one successful landing, the other in the field after trying a barrel roll - my ailerons stuck left - managed to land it pretty well after a hard bank.

how about armament? where can i find some missles to make this thing look really cool? i am guessing they use balsa or foam? i figure after going brushless in the near future - i will have plenty of power for the slightly extra weight.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Vettster

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Mike, swiggyj
and Protus. Hope you guys can stick around a while.

Trevor
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Vettster

Holy CRAP!!!! take a look at this! http://www.hobby-lobby.com/a-10.htm
Old 06-20-2008, 05:31 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: vettster
Holy CRAP!!!!
You got it right. 270 dollars for piece of painted foam - without me, bro. Look at the bottom of the page "Here's EVERYTHING you'll need:"

Radio = 242dollars
Motors = 98 dollars
Fans = 49 dollars
ESC = 106 dollars
Battery = 67 dollars.

So add 270 for the plane and you will have a flying piece of painted foam for only 832 dollars. You got it right. It's just CRAP. Someone lost his marbles. Beter stay with Guanli

Old 06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
cobrajocky

Holy CRAP!!!!
You got it right. 270 dollars for piece of painted foam - without me, bro. Look at the bottom of the page "Here's EVERYTHING you'll need:"

Radio = 242dollars
Motors = 98 dollars
Fans = 49 dollars
ESC = 106 dollars
Battery = 67 dollars.

So add 270 for the plane and you will have a flying piece of painted foam for only 832 dollars. You got it right. It's just CRAP. Someone lost his marbles. Beter stay with Guanli

I think you misinterpreted his enthusiasm about the Hobby Lobby A-10 - all the pretty painting, decals, ceiling hanger plastic model like qualities - are more important than whether it flies good or not and the cost. Kids.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Vettster

Holy CRAP!!!!

Radio = 242dollars
Motors = 98 dollars
Fans = 49 dollars
ESC = 106 dollars
Battery = 67 dollars.

I think you misinterpreted his enthusiasm about the Hobby Lobby A-10 - all the pretty painting, decals, ceiling hanger plastic model like qualities - are more important than whether it flies good or not and the cost. Kids.
Naaaa.. I ment its a peice of crap for WAY............to much money.

and what do you mean by "kids" im 43, Old Man!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Vettster

OK Now were talking! Check this one out. 51" wing spand with two 70mm DFs and RETRACTABLE GEAR! for $350!!!

Check out the videos. http://www.ductedfans.com/jets_elect..._480_a-10.html

And while were on the topic, Check this one out aswell. 61" for $199 http://www.wowplanes.com/images/A10_...f468f86d44c016
Old 06-20-2008, 11:06 PM
cobrajocky

Radio = 242dollars
Motors = 98 dollars
Fans = 49 dollars
ESC = 106 dollars
Battery = 67 dollars.

Naaaa.. I ment its a peice of crap for WAY............to much money.

and what do you mean by "kids" im 43, Old Man!

Geez, just a kid! 60 years young here. But ya know you're as young as your cravings and tastes are.

I think Richard was a bit excessive in costing out a theoretical Hobby Lobby over-priced "pretty" A-10, though.

Radio - you only need a 4 ch, but I picked up my second new Airtronics RD8000 8 ch w/ receiver, 2x crystals, Xmtr Batt and 4 AirtronicsZ Std Servos for $176 +tax free shipping in March at Hobby People. It's easy to find a good full Futaba, Hitech or AirT 6 ch FM rig for $80 - $ 90 on the internet. You can get a Mystery 3000 rpm/v inrunner B L motor with a 30a Mystery ESCs for $29 total incl shipping no sales tax from CTWCO Hong Kong, I did last month ( $29 x 2 = $58.) Fans GWS EDF-50 w/o motor $11.70 each (http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/duc...9_products.htm) and a 3S 2600 mAh LiPO from CTWCO for $28 w/ shipping. Done. A LOT cheaper. But I still enjoy the challange of taking a piece of crap nearly unflyable Gunali A-10 (my son and I each have one) and turning it into a decent flyer for under $200 total like Richard did. Who needs all the pretty paint and decals, eventually everyone will crash it bad enough to end up in the Friday morning garbage truck.

Take care youngster!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:48 AM
RysiuM

I think Richard was a bit excessive in costing out a theoretical Hobby Lobby over-priced "pretty" A-10, though.
I just copied the bottom line from Hobby Lobby - blame them. I would never give 270 dollars for the foam kit-plane anyway in the first place. I guess Hobby-Lobby figured out, if you can afford (and have loose marbles) to spend 270 dollars on the foamie-kit, you may spend next half grand on the other things as well.

Take care youngster!
I guess it's to me, as at 47 I'm an infant here
Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM
canwhitewolf

Guess I am the real oldster, im older than dust and got ya both beat age wise

youngsters lol
Old 06-21-2008, 03:11 PM
protus
My Feedback: (2)

What size piano wire do I need to replace my front gear?
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: protus

What size piano wire do I need to replace my front gear?
The same diameter as the original is. Just use better steel. Original wire is 2mm diameter.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Hoghunter12

Well, finished the GAU-8 Avenger nose gun, now all I have to do is make decals, and protus, use the same gauge piano wire the original nose gear wire is, just take one of the wheel lock collars with you to size it up...........................B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75938.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	975375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29663.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	975376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15335.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	975377  
Old 06-21-2008, 03:42 PM
protus
My Feedback: (2)

Great thanks, one more thing where is a good place to get the piano wire. Home Depot, Lowes? and might it be called something else in those kinds of stores?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:27 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: protus
Great thanks, one more thing where is a good place to get the piano wire. Home Depot, Lowes? and might it be called something else in those kinds of stores?
I did not see it in any hardware store. I got my from my LHS (RC Country in Sacramento - the best store in town).
Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Vettster

Well I couldnt wait any longer so I took my A-10 to the feild determined to fly all by myself. I was amazed to see that there was only one person there and he was leaving. Luck on my side it was one of the best instructors at are feild. i managed to talk him into the maiden flight and there she was doing circuits infront of me. It was a happy time.lol I then prepared to launch another flight, this time with me hooked to the buddy box, and off I went throughing the bird into the air again. It was at this point that one of the stock servos crapped out and the plane did a hard left bank into the ground. Not to much damage but enough to end that flight session. So I broke out the Trex and had a blast.
At least my instructor had the opertunity to trim up the AC saving me the trouble in the near future.
'Time to warm up the glue gun. It sure was nice to see that bird fly.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:13 AM
canwhitewolf

must have been fun, what size battery did you use? what voltage
Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 PM
encorebrits

Bought for my son who is a pilot. I agree that the plane must be under powered. The weight to thrust ratio doesn't seem to get the plane in the air. Scoots right pretty down the parking lot we tried to fly it from. Nose up, tail drags. For someone who got the plane in the air, what were your wind conditions??? When we tried it was a slight wind under 5. We also had an issue with the front landing gear. The servo striped out after our first attempt to fly, and we're waiting for a replacement. Been 2 weeks, so now it makes a great center piece on the hobby table.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: encorebrits

Bought for my son who is a pilot. I agree that the plane must be under powered. The weight to thrust ratio doesn't seem to get the plane in the air. Scoots right pretty down the parking lot we tried to fly it from. Nose up, tail drags. For someone who got the plane in the air, what were your wind conditions??? When we tried it was a slight wind under 5. We also had an issue with the front landing gear. The servo striped out after our first attempt to fly, and we're waiting for a replacement. Been 2 weeks, so now it makes a great center piece on the hobby table.
I wouldn't take that fantasy report here on this string of flying a STOCK Guanli A-10 for 10 minutes very seriously, perhaps it was in a dream or day dream. (You'll notice that video evidence never materializes). Too many buy this plane believing NitroPlanes BS (I know we did) and finding that it really can't fly in stock form (unless you hand launch) , or barely makes a couple circuits if you use a higher capacity battery (both C and mAh ... we tried that too) and then turns it into a painting project ceiling hanger model.

One thing my son and I found, was that one of the stock 9.6v 650mAh battery we had from the two planes was of, shall we say, CRAP quality and wouldn't hold it's stated capacity charge (only 80% of max current and voltage) for more than 20 seconds. We're guessing it has some bad cells. The other batt when charged "peaked" with a good variable peak charger we have, did get to full voltage and 600mAh of the 650mAh spec and held it for 2 minutes. Least to say it was a very short flight when had launched. Damn good thing this A-10 glides (floats) very well, if the Center of Gravity is a bit forward.

We haven't bothered with the pretty paint jobs etc., ..... it's a feakin $95 styro cheapo plane that isn't even scale accurate.

The ONLY way this plane will fly competently is with RysiuM's mods. My son and I each have one of the GL A-10; one already has Richards mods as he outlined here on the string; the other we're experimenting with off the shelf LiPO "go-power", because the charging of the home-made LiON batt is a pain in the ass. "Modded", this A-10 flies pretty nice for a $225 foam plane (total with mods, incl a Hitec rx for my AT tx). If "I knew then, what I know now" (thank you Mrs. Willlie Clinton and John Freakin Kerry), we would buy this plane again. I would go with an all balsa based 6 or 8 ch A-10 that's really to accurate scale and all the realistic guns and missile pieces on something that's worthwhile to "decorate".
Old 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM
me 02

Hi Mike,

I would like to give some advise on the EDF you
mentioned. I too am interested in flying them, and
have had some experience in electric trainers. I
am not yet a competent flyer. As someone else
mentioned, and my suggestion is to put aside the
EDF, and 1st learn on a prop. The plane I am looking
at now is the Wing Dragon 4, available from Hobby
Lobby. I like it because it is a pusher prop, which is
great for frontal crashes. Also, a 4 channel plane is
the proper way to learn to fly. I also strongly suggest
you also get a flight simulator. Look at the the SIMTR-
ANSMITTER from sigmfg.com (sig manufacturing). This
is a basic one for around 40.00. You dont need a fancy
one. Use the flight s. a while before u actually fly your
model. Let me know how it goes.

me 02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.