Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

f-4E PHANTOM {BLUE ANGELS}

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

f-4E PHANTOM {BLUE ANGELS}

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM
FORDF150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f-4E PHANTOM {BLUE ANGELS}

wow! Just got the plane put together, batteries all charged, and the rear servo for lifting, and descending does not even move. The first plane i bought was the F-16. That had 2 sevos that did not work. Pretty much let down for the amount of money is shelled out for these supposedly fun toys. Anyone know the going rate for styrofoam? Can't wait to call there phone # and ask them to send me another qualty servo.[:@]
Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: f-4E PHANTOM {BLUE ANGELS}

which f4 did you get, and where did you buy it? i have been looking at the one nitro is selling, made by exceed/starmax. good luck with your servos. rob
Old 09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
FORDF150

i got the f-4e phantom. Wires to rear flap servo was crossed. figured it out my self. Bought it at nitroplanes.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:46 PM
rob737

glad you got it figured out. i love that jet, been looking at the one in army colors. please post a flight report as soon as you can! it looks great in nitro's videos, but would love to read your thoughts on the plane. let me know how easy/hard it is to get it to rog? thanks, and good luck! rob
Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM
shschon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: FORDF150

i got the f-4e phantom. Wires to rear flap servo was crossed. figured it out my self. Bought it at nitroplanes.
What do you mean by "crossed"?

Hope you have turned off the "mixing" switch because the TX in the RTF version has mixing function that should NOT be active when you use with this plane.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 PM
million-air

ORIGINAL: rob737

glad you got it figured out. i love that jet, been looking at the one in army colors. please post a flight report as soon as you can! it looks great in nitro's videos, but would love to read your thoughts on the plane. let me know how easy/hard it is to get it to rog? thanks, and good luck! rob
I just purchased a starmax f-4 phantom army style which should be coming in tomorrow. Il just tell my wife its a haloween costume....anyways I cant wait to put my hands on this thing and take it out for a spin. Nitro Plane's is kicking ass offering three different versions of the starmax f-4 and also 2 versions of an f-18 and a f-35 "the fastest edf you can buy" as they claim it.

CHECK the extentions for all servo because some might be loose which is a manufacteres deffect that some people have noticed. I saw the video which can be seen here http://www.nitroplanes.com/army-exceed-rc-f-4e-.html

there is also a review for it. Il let you guys know how it handles and such.
happy soaring
Old 10-01-2008, 04:53 PM
rob737

please post a flight report as soon as you can! thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Chris Balling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This little Pantom took about 65 minutes to assemble, including a couple of changes I'll speak about. It is a "cute" but small (this is the operative word here) and very fast airplane. Initial accelleration (at full power) surprised me and it rotated very well. I backed off on the throttle quickly as it was really moving. It needed one click of down elevator and one click of right aileron and it was hands off. I made two passes around the field and set up a landing. Sink rate was fast with throttle off, but with just a tiny bit of throttle, nose up, she settles at a very comfortable pace. It's very easy to control decent with throttle. Following a quick inspection of glue joints, hinges, screws, etc. (everything was fine) it's time to ring her out. Using the original battery, as the maiden was short, I put the coals to her. She lifted in about 25-30 feet I took her straight up until she was almost too small to see. I was impressed. She rolls both slow and fast (I'm using 45% expo on ailerons), does three consecutive (large) loops without slowing, and does not know the difference between up-right or inverted. Once again, this is a very small airframe and gets very small very quickly...........so, keep it in close.

Now, a couple of changes I've done. I trimmed the top of the rudder as to give it a scale look. Model Master yellow is a perfect match. I traded one the the quick connects on the Stab for a Z bend (safety), added another front nose wheel (the real Phantom had two) and taped the fan cover on the bottom so it wouldn't fly off in flight. Don't glue it as it is easy to access the fan and controller should you need to.

This airplane is a very good deal for the money but I wouldn't recommend it as a first fanjet or trainer............too fast.......BTW, as with most Delta wings, this little Phantom does not tuck in the turn.........This airplane exceeds my expectation and I'd certainly buy another.

Chris Balling
And yes, NAVY pilots still wear GOLD wings
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74503.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1044949  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
rob737

thanks chris! looks like you really like your new jet. that one (army colors) is next on my list, as soon as the funds will support it. appreciate all the info you posted, have fun with it! rob
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
million-air

Well I just came back from the field with my brand new f-4 phantom ARMY style! As Chris said, the little plane does exceed my needs and expectations. I did a scale take off and then gunned it. I bet the damn thing could be lauched verticaly without a problem. I took it up and backed on the throttle. THIS THING IS FAST..do not fly it a full bore the whole time. Not only will it get out of sight quickly, it will also drain the battery. Guys since these lypo's are new, fly the plane for about 4min. and bring it back down. It takes about 4-5 charges for the battery to meet expectations for a 7-8 min flight. Roll rate is great! Verticals =awesome. Some people have been complaining about stability issues which I have not incountered...even on windy days. For this to happen make sure the vertical and horizontal stabs are level.

Tape down the fan access because it will come off during flight as mine did. I was still able to glide it down with no problem, but for an unexperienced flyer this could have been the beggining of the end. I just taped it down along with the antenna (dont leave the antenna wadded up inside the receiver compartment. Plane comes together in an hour if using epoxy.
Great plane with a lot of looks. I would not hand launch it to preserve the foam and the look.

Video will be posted up shortly. FYI my girlfriend thinks that filming a "toy is dumb"...I did not take her to dinner that night.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 AM
million-air

oh and the extra square block thing on the vertical stab is scale only for the army style phantom which was used by the british and held extra electronic equipment.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
rob737

wow guys......great flight reports, it looks like this jet is a winner! i am going to order one......but i have spent all of my "r/c money" for this month and need to wait til november. my wife does not particulary enjoy my planes either!. sometimes she'll go to the park with me, but only if i suggest that she bring the dog for some fetch while i fly my "toys." thanks for posting the info, gentlemen, much appreciated. r.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM
haasjj

wow! Just got the plane put together, batteries all charged, and the rear servo for lifting, and descending does not even move. The first plane i bought was the F-16. That had 2 sevos that did not work. Pretty much let down for the amount of money is shelled out for these supposedly fun toys. Anyone know the going rate for styrofoam? Can't wait to call there phone # and ask them to send me another qualty servo.[:@]

Out of curiosity, have you ever flown a RC plane??

You do know that in your post above that the little servo is for the.... ahhh screw it lifting and descending is good enough why call it the elevator servo and make it easier.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 PM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: shschon

What do you mean by "crossed"?

Hope you have turned off the "mixing" switch because the TX in the RTF version has mixing function that should NOT be active when you use with this plane.

I want to know what he means by flap servo.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 AM
million-air

im guessing the elevator servo...since this plane has no rudder.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Chris Balling

In a previous post I shared with you how I had re-shaped the rudder to make it a bit more scale. If you do not consider yourself an expert pilot I do not recommend this change. At very slow speeds my modified rudder lends itself to a slightly less stability. It won't suddenly snap, but you need a larger degree of control throw at slow speed. As expected, no change at loiter or cruise speeds.........

Chris Balling
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 PM
sanman55

I read the review and from what everyone said hear I ordered the f-4 e today.
I have the js39 gripen which I like but it lacked power.
My question is... the gripen cg was way nose heavy.. I moved mine back 1/4 back from their recommened cg and it was great, Is the phantom the same way?? It seems that china made planes are all way nose heavy.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Chris Balling

If you use the included battery the balance is perfect. As mentioned, in a previous post, don't run a new lipo hard. Run it easy for 2-3 flights. Remember, this is one very small and very fast airframe.

Chris
Old 10-11-2008, 02:38 AM
million-air

ORIGINAL: sanman55

I read the review and from what everyone said hear I ordered the f-4 e today.
I have the js39 gripen which I like but it lacked power.
My question is... the gripen cg was way nose heavy.. I moved mine back 1/4 back from their recommened cg and it was great, Is the phantom the same way?? It seems that china made planes are all way nose heavy.
Sanman55...give it all the elevator throw possible because you will need it during slow flights and will make landings easier to the average newbie (im sure they will be more likely to buy this plane). Plus if you decide to purchase a bigger battery, it wont make it noseheavy. Until you get used to this fast airframe as Chris mentioned, use the least throws possible for the aelerons. Its a snappy plane if you get my drift.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 AM
sanman55

Thanks for the info, I am use to snappy planes and like them. I fly all kinds of electric, rc superpowers stuff, the funjet, which I love.
I have a hydro boat that flys, splash., sailplanes, electric heli, trex 450 sl., folker d7, twinstar multiplex.
How far back has anyone moved the cg. I like flying my planes SLIGHTLY tail heavy. Gives it a nice turn radius and flair on landing.
Can't wait to get it, I am going to leave off the landing gear to get it as lite as possible.
I have had 3 other edf and was very unhappy with their performance.
This looks like what I want.........Thanks again sanford
Old 10-11-2008, 06:45 AM
million-air

I would not use this plane as a simple park flyer. Use it with the gear if you can. It will scuff up easily and take away the scaleness look of it if you belly land. There are no weight problems. Stock is perfect and it has all the power in the world. It will never land "slowly" because it cant...look at the wing surface area, remember this plane was used to prove that "a brick could fly if you gave it enough power."
Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM
sanman55

Thanks for the info, I put a thin ,tough plastic on the bottom of my belly landing planes to keep them safe. I go to the school section of a store and get those thin plastic folders. They work great.I want to get this baby as lite as possible..Looks like I can take out the nose servo ?
My fun jet does 80 mph. so I am use to speed.
Thanks for the info on landing, I try to land fast anyway to have better control.
I don't want to come off as a know it all, cause I ain't, but I have been flying slow and fast planes for a while.
I am going to use my futaba 9c transmitter and my cornoa receiver. It has nice set ups , expo. and all the good stuff.
I can't wait to put this baby thru its paces...I belong to a great club with a 400 ft. paved runway + a nice grass strip. It is a nice place.
Thanks, sanford
Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 AM
sanman55

One other question, Is the battery getting very hot? I know on my starmax gripen I had to add some air holes in the fus to cool it down.
Thanks [8D] sanford
Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 AM
million-air

ORIGINAL: sanman55

One other question, Is the battery getting very hot? I know on my starmax gripen I had to add some air holes in the fus to cool it down.
Thanks [8D] sanford
Taking out the nose servo could solve your CG issue (you did say you liked it tailheavy). Its a little tricky getting in there but if you take out the battery placement bracket where the lypo sits, you should be fine. In regards to your lypo, if it gets real hot...you might want to run! I know what you ment by that. The battery does get warm but dont worry the batterty cover is a plastic grid which provides plenty of air. If you have not seen it, here is the review from nitroplanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH2o8SsMTbY

Happy soaring
Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
sanman55

thanks.
I just know that people were compaining about the gripen by starmax that the battery got real hot. It has the same hatch that the f4 does. Since I drilled the holes it only gets around 100 degrees. It needs air flow around the battery not just the bottom.
Where is the esc. located?
How long of flights do you get?
Thanks for the link, I have seen them all.
Like I said before I just want the fastest edf I can get for a cheap price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.