Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Starmax F18 ESC/BEC problems

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Starmax F18 ESC/BEC problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
PAYING CUSTOMER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starmax F18 ESC/BEC problems

I hope someone here can help me as Ntroplanes customer service is...uh....im sure youve all had your experiences.

Anyways. Took it out for first filght, stock setup, 14.8v 2200mah lipo, 45A ESC(supposedly) and the stock BEC(know nothing about it)
Has a 2836Kv motor and a 70mm fan. Flight control checks and all for the pre flight. Throttled it up to around 75% and took off, gave it a little nose up and it went up, attempted to give it nose down and a left turn and the motor came to a dead stop. was at maybe 50ft if that. I still had servo control and was able to bring it down flat. landed on a little berm. busted fuse in half at the air intakes and the right horizontal stab. took it home and put it on a stand. motor powers up with a REALLY good amount of thrust, powers not the problem. while motor is running i gave it a flight control input and the motor screetches to a dead stop, not a gradual like LVC but a dead friggin stop. if i have the motor at a REALLY low power setting and give it an input you hear an audible drop in power but motor continues to run (barely). release input and motor powers back up to correct power.

Please, any ideas???
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Flexserve

Default RE: Starmax F18 ESC/BEC problems

Wrong forum. Go to "Nitro Support" Forums for MUCH better results.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flexserve

I don't see why you would suggest this go to Nitro support forum. He has an electric jet and is asking if anyone has any ideas on why the plane woud behave this way. People post lots of questions like that. The fact that he is not satisfied with Nitroplanes customer support is no reason to send him back to them.

Paying,

A few things come to mind:

1) Do you have a watt meter? What amps are you pulling on the bench at full throttle? What is happening to amps and voltage when you make these inputs.

2) You need to know about your BEC - I suspect that is your problem. How many servos are you running? Is the BEC rated for 14.8V? Many integrated BEC have to be disabled when you go above 12V.

I suspect your BEC is over heating and shuting down for an instant. This does a reset on your throttle taking it to zero.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:18 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

I can just about guarantee it's your esc. They've had several problems with the esc in question. The BEC is getting hot because it can't stand up to the amp load with the motor running at the same time. It seems like it's a lottery as to whether or not you get a good esc, some guys using the stock one no problem, but more of em are having problems like your describing.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM
PAYING CUSTOMER

ORIGINAL: aeajr

ORIGINAL: Flexserve

I don't see why you would suggest this go to Nitro support forum. He has an electric jet and is asking if anyone has any ideas on why the plane woud behave this way. People post lots of questions like that. The fact that he is not satisfied with Nitroplanes customer support is no reason to send him back to them.

Paying,

A few things come to mind:

1) Do you have a watt meter? What amps are you pulling on the bench at full throttle? What is happening to amps and voltage when you make these inputs.

2) You need to know about your BEC - I suspect that is your problem. How many servos are you running? Is the BEC rated for 14.8V? Many integrated BEC have to be disabled when you go above 12V.

I suspect your BEC is over heating and shuting down for an instant. This does a reset on your throttle taking it to zero.

I dont have a watt meter, on my to-do list. I can hear an audible powerdrain on the motor when a control input is done. it has 5 servos. the BEC and ESC are shrink wrapped in a blue wrapping with no markings. not a clue whats installed. the ESC is supposedly rated for 45A totally have no clue (not in product description or anywhre on BEC) what the BEC is rated for. they dont feel hot when checked post shutdown, warm maybe but not hot. also, (Im a gas chopper guy) ive never used LiPo batts before, is it normal when testing a fully charged battery to have it register more volts than rated for? i have a 14.8v battery and after a charge am reading 16.25 volts. battery looks fine, no puffing and not warm after a charge.

Thanks for the reply..
Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM
huggett

Lots of people having issues with the stock BEC myself included. I suspect it's not rated for 4s. I cut the red wire on stock ESC added a Castle BEC.....problem solved.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:25 PM
huggett

A 4 cell 14.8v lipo will actually be 16.8v fully charged
Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

when you use a seperate BEC, do you add another receiver battery? or you just get the power from the lipo running? i'm a bit confused myself. My friends at the field said it may even be better to run a seperate battery just in case the lipo goes bad, you'll still have controll? how does that work... any diagrams?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the same F-18 that HL sells? I ask because my Starmax 18 came with a 3s.

Andy
Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Rempshaker

I had a very similar problem 2 weeks ago. Got the plane. Fired it up. Sounded awesome until I started moving the control surfaces. When I did, the motor slowed considerably although it did not stop. After 3 minutes of online chat with nitroplanes, they decided to send me a new ESC - got it in 4 days. They sent me a Volcano series 40A 07E05 model (http://www.exceedrc.com/vose40abresc.html). The problem is gone so far with 2 flights under my belt. FYI, the little plane is pretty bad ass once you get it working. Many compliments at the field. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
huggett

ORIGINAL: a65l

Is this the same F-18 that HL sells? I ask because my Starmax 18 came with a 3s.

Andy
No, it is not the same, the HL one is smaller.