Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Edf suggestion?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

First Edf suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Xtremespeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Edf suggestion?

I bought my 8 year old son an estes turbo thruster. It's been pretty fun to fly for a toy, and really has me wanting something better.
I'm pretty new to planes although I have a trex 450 helicopter that I fly ok. No 3d. I was considering a Hobbico flyzone diablo, but
there seems to be a lot of negative on it here. I know edf's are not recommended for beginners, but I hate propellers. Are there
any other rtf edf's I could consider without getting in way over my head? I will pick it up pretty quickly. I have had just about everything
from 1/10th to 1/8th electric and nitro buggies and trucks to a couple electric helicopters, so I'm not new to r/c, and I have flown
some planes on a flight sim. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Squirrlybird

Default RE: First Edf suggestion?

The helis will sharpen your skills better than anything. However, if you are not at least into FFF (fast forward flight) with the helis, then you should probably hold off on the jets for now (unless you have some good prop time behind you). The Stryker F-27 C is probably the best thing to get before going edf. It flies fassst, it flies slow, it climbs like mad, and is really easy to glue back together after a crash.

Here are some edf jets that get good reviews:

Phase 3 F-16 (this is the best bang for your buck and can be found at hobbypeople.net)
Phase 3 fantom
eletrifly L-39
Hobby-Lobby F-18
Hobby-Lobby Rafale
EDO F-15

This is certainly not an all encompassing list, but a great place to start looking. And again, I highly recommend starting with the Stryker before you go edf.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM
flyer50

Xtreme try: http://www.nitroplanes.com/jets.html. They have a number of edf jets and not too expensive. As for myself I'm sticking with the props for awhile. I've been building foam jets for a year now and can't stop. They are not bad looking. In the air you'd never know it had a prop. Anyway, good luck with your flying.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 PM
rchobbytime

Check out as well some of the new jets at www.rtfrcairplane.com I would also suggest the same as above, I have found the edomodel f15 to be pretty stable. I think the best edf jet I have found for a beginner would be the viper, it has a different look, but very stable!