Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FlyFly BAE Hawk thread continuation

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FlyFly BAE Hawk thread continuation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 AM
whissel_blowa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FlyFly BAE Hawk thread continuation

My last post was deleted and the thread locked, seems the mods dont like people trying to speak the truth or help out fellow modellers.... So here is the last post on the old thread for reference:

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey
My FlyFly BAe Hawk was Ready-To-Fly at 83oz (or 5.2lbs) with battery pack. The plane without a pack weighed 62oz.
I made some power measurements with 3 different packs. The newest pack was my 30C, 6s, 3200mAh pack with match cells.
FlightPower EVO25 5s 5000mAh pack (23oz) 810w at 49amps
FlightPower EVO30 5s 4500mAh pack (21oz) 775w at 47amps
FlightPower EVO30 6s 3200mAh pack (18oz) 1200w at 64amps
Now looking at the figures you can see that the 6 cell readings basically show a cell voltage of 3.125v per cell under load, this is incredibly low especially for a supposed 30c pack running at 20c, I would be returning this battery!

My Sabre and my friends Hawk both run identical 6 cell setups, we use the Midifan rotor in the stock flyfly fan housing, and a factory recommended 1600Kv inrunner. My chinese 4000mah 6s1p 25c packs sit at 22.5 volts minimum right through the flight at 50 amps, I have logged the flights on my eagletree. My Sabre does 87-90mph. Hawk about the same.

A friends Sabre with 800 watts on the stock flyfly fan, 1600Kv motor and 5 cell PQ4350XP 25c pack does around 50-55mph, the stock fan is really slow.

This is only my humble opinion, but anyone thinking of building one of the large flyfly models, forget about fancy digital servos etc, (my Sabre has GWS NARO HP servos and has had dozens of flights without issue) spend the 40 bucks instead on a wemotec rotor and adapter and you will not look back

Video of my Sabre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgxYGbhgwk
Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 AM
whissel_blowa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FlyFly BAE Hawk thread continuation

Midifan parts for all those in the US can be bought here: http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=538
Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: FlyFly BAE Hawk thread continuation

OK this is the way this forum works. [:'(]
I can happily say this experience ends my RCU career here.
If things aren't working like it should you must be able say it loud even tough there is commercial interests on the background.

Whissel,
Lets continue discussing about facts in free discussion forum.
You might find some info about my new duct there in following days.

What comes to your thread start: Yes the voltages are too low for successful and continuous use in my opinion too.
However I don't agree with you in that servo experience. I do not mean that servos have to be Ă¼ber digitals all the time, but Naro HP has very erratic reputation IMHO.
I have flow about 70 absolutely successful flights with them as aileron actuators in my Hawk but at the same time had several failures in GWS park fighters just after couple of flights.
They must have good and just awful patches coming out the production line. Problem was always the burned motor.

See ya somewhere else...
/Jyri