Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Art Tech FA-18

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 PM
SFC(Ret)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art Tech FA-18

Just ordered an Art Tech FA 18 64MM EDF, RTF w/2.4 Gig TX from NitroPlanes for my son (ON-Sale!!) Our first EDF. I looked everywhere before I did so and could not find anyone that had anything really bad to say about Art Tech's Products. I did see the Review on the website that showed a couple of technical/production issues but nothing that can't be fixed. How are the servos mounted in the fuselage (Glue)? If anyone has this model or similar what do I need to look for?

I read a thread here where a guy said, "he would never buy a RTF kit because of the electronics were junk. Everyone he knew, crashed their new EDFs". I also saw that Pete from Banana nearly always uses his "High Dollar" TX/RX when he does his videos. Is it not a good idea to ground check all your electronics for proper function before putting them in the air? If there is a problem return it before you try and fix it yourself and/or ball up your aircraft!

I have much more experience with RC Boats and 4X4s than with Aircraft but I am also a Retired Aircraft Mechanic, and I can tell you from experience "Build it, Test it, Fix it, Then Fly it"!!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Art Tech FA-18

Most of the RTF radios are not the best quality. I am not sure about the newer 2.4g radios but the older 27mhz and the 72mhz radio were not all that good. Some times they just failed due to vibrations and bad designs.

I too am looking at getting a EDF. I have almost everything else.

If this is your first plane, it is not a trainer and will not last long if you do not know how to fly all ready. If this is your first EDF, then it may last longer. I would not say it is a good second plane. They are small and get smaller real fast.

If you are going to be in the R/C hobby for any time, the best money you can spend is on a good radio. You can drop in a Rx for you radio in the RTF's and then sell or give away the Tx that comes with them.

Dru.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
SFC(Ret)

I do know how to fly this is not my first plane but it is my first EDF. I am aware for what I paid for the RTF I can't expect much, just really never bought an RTF and don't know what to expect that's what I am asking for here.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM
shurlock1

Hey people a couple of months ago Banana heads had a Mirage 200 for about $94 without radio and reciever. The problem IO have are the servos are junk they had to send me a replacement and they sent me a used one its been a month and not flying yet. I tried a 4 cell in this and maybe I will change esc and bec and fly. I also heard this cant get off thye grass the way it is but the 4 cell showed the plane off the way it should fly.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 AM
SFC(Ret)

Got the Plane today. First off, someone needs to fly across the "Big Pond" to Indonesia and teach the people at Art-Tech how to write intructions in "PROPER ENGLISH". Look, I lived in Korea for 3 years, and I understand broken english pretty well, but an Instruction Manual written this poorly is ridiculous! This is a direct quote from the manual. “ Connect the driving steel wire from the accessories bag with related servo, the end part should connect the middle hole of the rubberâ€. The last sentence of the manual reads, " Thank you for reading this manual, wish you enjoy the flight"! I laughed through the entire manual the first time I read it.

Out of the box, I am pretty satisfied with the fit but the finish is 3rd rate. They missed several places with the paint. The nose wheel servo door is taped on, when I removed the tape to get to the linkage that was NOT connected, the paint came off!

The manual says "FOAM GLUE", is in the kit but it's actually 2-part epoxy and nowhere on it does it say 5 minute epoxy. I'm glad I tested it to find out first.

All but one advertisement I found says the kit has 3 servos but it actually has 5. None, say the 5th is for the steerable nose wheel, so the customer is one up on them there.

All the advertisements say the TX/RX have a 3000 foot range. Reading through the very hard to read, radio manual I found that it actually has a 1000 foot range! So there may be the cause for some crashes! The Manual says "You may" be required to Bind the TX/RX but no where in the manual does it tell you how to do it. A seperate photo copied sheet that you can barely read is supplied. The illustrations are also so small you need a magnifying glass to see.

The way the wings are installed on the fuselage are great except the servo plugs are tucked between them. There is a foam cover right on the wing where they join so why on earth didn't they leave it open until after they are joined giving you a more convenient place for the plugs?

The "Free", "Bonus" Simulator software with the kit would have to be free. Who would ever spend money on something so "WORTHLESS"? At take off, with a plane and hovering with a helicopter is just about the only time you can tell the attitude of the aircraft unless your in chase mode. 1st year graphics students at my local 2 year college could do better than that!

It's all together, taking about 3 hours. I have yet to check to CG and range test the TX/RX. Weather permitting she flys tomorrow (Actually later today).

Old 03-07-2009, 06:14 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They cut the cost some where. Yes the CHinglish instructions are a laugh. If you got a set with the 2.4G radio, yes you would most likely need to bind it some how. They do look good form 20 feet away.

I am interested in how it flies. I can live with a few bad things about it. The directions need to be placed in the bird cage. There is a long thread on rcgroups about it. I would go there or here and do some searches to find out how to put it together.

Dru.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 PM
SFC(Ret)

Anyone know where I can get get replacement parts for an Art-Tech FA-18 in Blue Angel scheme?? LOL

First flight lasted .05 seconds, got 2 feet off the ground, one "LIGHT" bounce and lost the nose-cone and missle launch thinga-ma-bob at the end of the left wing. That nose-cone is paper thin and wrinkled up like paper as well. Got everything back together ok but I will definitely need spare parts in the future if these things are this fragile. The balsas I use to fly were tougher than this!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 AM
lucygee

Art Tech is one of the earliest RC Model manufacturers in China. They shouldn't be that bad?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:55 AM
R/C FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, I have the blue angels version with the 72 Mhz radio installed, it works fine no glitching, flies great, not the fastest EDF out there, but it sure looks nice in the air, my only problem was the rear landing gear, too flimsy on landings, so i used a piece of same gauge wire that i ran across from wheel to wheel, and i fastened to the wire with thread and super glue. it lands great now! have fun with it, it should work just fine for you. R/C FLYR
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM
captain dave

Hi I just wondered how it's going with your f-18. I just got one too. I',ve flown it about 5 times with no crashes. I did replace the radio.Nothing like a radio you trust. Nothing fancy I like the Spectrum 2.4 GHZ. It came with a 1000 MAH battery instead of the 1600 MAH that was advertised. Someone very sloppily changed the number 1000 to 1600 with a pen by making the second zero in 1000 look like a six. Also I don't know if you saw the build video on youtube but the elevator push rods flex. You can fix this by putting a little guide on the bottom of each horizontal stab for the push rod to pass through but low enough where the rod can't flex . That's for anyone who is having take off problems. I like flying this plane. It's small you have to keep it close. It's pretty easy to land.....I will say this the customer service from nitroplanes regarding the battery is unacceptable. I don't feel like sending the battery back, letting my new plane sit for no reason, and then hoping that they send me the RIGHT ONE back in some amount of reasonable time. I say this because when I e mailed them my problem they replied two days later that I have a very" complicated issue that would better be answered by Technical support or call them. "I called 10, ten times until I gave up and the next day there was finally an answer.They could really care less. I know they're a middle man but the battery was purposely changed. THANKS FOR NOTHING NITROPLANES. This plane looks good it's fun to fly. This shouldn't be somebodies first plane. The instructions are a joke. The epoxy is poor. If I would've flown it without fixing the elevetor push rods than it would have crashed. Through all this I am still winning;flown 5 times and not a scratch and unlike some people I think the landing gear is great...
Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 PM
SFC(Ret)

Finally got some WINDLESS days a couple weeks ago and attempted flight number 2. Same thing happened. 2 feet off the ground, nosed straight up, hard nose to the left, totally destroyed. Aircraft had plenty of speed, so there was no stall. I reinforced the control rods after i watched NightFlyers Build Video so this was not an issue. Best I can figure is the vibration thru the stock radio caused the loss of control.

You live and you learn. First & Last RTF I'll ever buy! If I want to replace it with an ARF, I'll have to buy a new radio with mini RX and servos too. All my other stuff is simply to heavy and big for these foamies.

Thanks for the "JUNK" Art-Tech!!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Shoestring1958

Really cool airplane! Bought mine from Hobby King and it came in the Blue Angels Version, My thoughts are for the money it is great. Other than the mods that needed to be done I also added the Lumifly Nav lamps, also went with a 1600, 30 C battery from Tower Hobbies. Have only flown a few times at this point, nice flying plane and with throttle management getting 7 to 8 mins flight time. Mine came as a plug and fly so using just a basic Tatic 2.4 ghz 6 channel reciever and transmitter. Will get some video when the weather starts getting warmer here. In my opinion a great buy.