RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/3244192-aerocat-fast-pusher-%2A70-mph%2A.html)

ckoerner 04-06-2007 08:58 AM

RE: AeroCat Fast Pusher *70 MPH*

ORIGINAL: Galloping Ghost

Nice scheme there ckoerner! That thing should have great visibility. Be sure to give us a flight report!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Thanks Scott. Just waiting to fly it. The weather hasn't been the best here. I know it's going to be a keeper. After I saw it fly at the E-fest I had to have one. Besides 3-D, I like anything that goes fast. Just look at my avatar.

cjshaker 04-17-2007 04:00 AM

After getting bounced email messages from CustomCDR.com, I decided to just box it up and send it in with a note
explaining what happened to the motor. I just got a new hot wind single back in the mail today! Looking forward
to trying it out soon.

Thank you CustomCDR.com for taking care of my Hot Wind Single!
Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: cjshaker

I'd suggest staying with the 5x5 prop if you run the 'Hot Wind Single'. I had good success with that prop. I changed to the 6x4E prop,
and made a good flight with it. Let my RC instructor fly my airplane, and the motor gave up during his aerobatic flight. The motor will
spastically move, slowly, and gets hot.

What typically fails in brushless motors? Melted wire? Burnt insulation? The motor doesn't smell burnt.

Does anyone have any good contact information for reaching CustomCDR.com about service questions? The email address on their
web site, "[email protected]", doesn't seem to work, and I don't see a phone number yet.

Thank you,
Chris Shaker

voodoo_chicken1 04-17-2007 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some graphs created with a data logger used during one short flight for anyone interested.

Electrics used:

1500mah 3S1P Hyperion Battery
36 amp DN power ESC
400DF Outrunner 3000kv purchased from www.Truerc.com
5x5 Prop

Galloping Ghost 04-18-2007 08:57 PM

Chris, I'm glad that you got your motor repaired/replaced. I'm not at all surprised that Ryan stepped up and made it right. I know he's swamped right now but he stands behind his products.

voodoo, what plane are you flying with that set-up? Are you happy with the performance?

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 04-18-2007 09:28 PM

I'm flying the Aerocat with that set up. Very happy with the performance.

I think an 1800mah @ 20C would be a bit better because the voltage wouldn't decrease as much @ full throttle. I just wanted to keep it as light as possible. Still runs very fast in the air. As soon as eagle tree releases their air speedometer I'll have more data to share.

twinturbostang 04-19-2007 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoo_chicken1
As soon as eagle tree releases their air speedometer I'll have more data to share.
Sounds interesting. Do you have any info on this, or a link to a product page?

Galloping Ghost 04-19-2007 05:40 PM

Voodoo, I thought it was an AeroCat, just wanted to be sure. If you want a thrill, put an APC 6/5.5 prop on it. You won't believe the difference. Yes, you will be overamping the motor even more! But that's what I fly and it has held up just fine. I do recommend flying a "ccol down" lap before landing.

You are right, a good 1800 pack will increase performance noticeably.

The data logger is really cool. I want one! Thanks for posting the numbers.

I will be offering a speed measuring device very soon. It weighs less than 3 grams and is good to within 1 mph. It uses a pitot tube mounted on the leading edge of the wing and plugs into a spare channel on the RX. It is very cool.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 04-19-2007 06:59 PM

I use the micro data logger from eagletree systems. The airspeed expander can be found here too. It is pre-order only now.

http://eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm

I bought my logger for less at:

www.unitedhobbies.com

I've bought batteries, motors and other bargain-priced equipment. Buyer beware. They are in China. Shipping can take 2-3 weeks. I have nothing but good experiences with 8 orders totaling over $300 but others have experienced differently. Whatever you do, don't order anything that is on backorder. Since they are so far away, if anythign goes wrong, it is dragged out that much longer.

Galloping Ghost 04-19-2007 10:04 PM

I've ordered from United Hobbies and they are reputable. Their prices are incredible. It took around 10 days to get the order. Agreed, you do not want to order anything that is out of stock!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

cjshaker 04-20-2007 02:39 AM

I've ordered from United Hobbies a couple of times. Their 2,200 mah 20C 3S LiPos work
really well in my Stryker, and in my Fantom.

It took about four weeks for both of my orders to clear customs and arrive.

I'm still waiting for an RMA of an ESC. They sent me the wrong ESC on one of my orders,
one that wasn't programmeable via USB.

One of my buddies also has good luck with their LiPos.

Chris Shaker

ckoerner 04-21-2007 11:16 AM

Just flew mine for the first time. Goes pretty good. If I get on the throttle too fast the speed controller cuts out. I have a Thunder Bird 18 with a LS Park jet motor. 6X6.5 APC prop. I think I am going to add rudders to it.

Galloping Ghost 04-21-2007 05:28 PM

Your ESC should not be cutting out. What battery are you running? It sounds like you are hitting LVC.

One of the key factors for getting top performance on this type of plane is running a good quality battery. A tired or underated battery not capable of sustaining the voltage will cause a LVC event. We are really pulling the amps out of these batteries, and that is usually the weakest link.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Crash One 04-21-2007 07:53 PM

Scott, the prop may be a factor if that's not a missed keystroke. A 6x5.5 is ideal while a 6x6.5 may be too much. I hope that was a typing error. I've only seen one 6x6.5.

Galloping Ghost 04-21-2007 08:08 PM

Good point Crash, but I figured he meant to say 6/5.5. A 6/6.5 would be too much but I have not even seen that size. Have you? Anyway, good call on that!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

ORIGINAL: Crash One

Scott, the prop may be a factor if that's not a missed keystroke. A 6x5.5 is ideal while a 6x6.5 may be too much. I hope that was a typing error. I've only seen one 6x6.5.

Crash One 04-21-2007 08:19 PM

Yes, but not an APC.

ckoerner 04-21-2007 09:05 PM

Sorry for the typo. It's the 5.5. I am running a Thunder Power 1320.

Crash One 04-21-2007 09:21 PM

I agree with Scott. That should be a perfect combo unless that's a low "C" TP battery. I think even my old TP 1320's can handle 20 amps though. Keep us posted.

voodoo_chicken1 04-25-2007 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woops......

I had a lot of fun with this bird. Enough to want to build another. I'll post pics in a week or so with the finished product.

Galloping Ghost 04-26-2007 09:13 PM

What the heck, VooDoo? It's not supposed to look like that! I hope you traced a template!

Or you can always buy another!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 04-26-2007 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You betcha I traced this one. This airplane turns too many heads. I couldn't imagine not having this airplane as a permanent member of my hangar.

Basically, everything horizontal is black and everything vertical is white with contrasting control surfaces. I hope I can re-use the the control horns. I really liked the ones that came with the kit. I like to use 15 minute epoxy but I know it will turn crappy yellow. I don't like to use foam safe CA for foamies. Oh well, can't have everything!

Galloping Ghost 04-27-2007 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your black/white version looks very similar to one of my production prototypes (see pic), which used gray and white Depron with decals. Then I decided to go with all white printed foam.

I also used to swear by epoxy, but now I use nothing but foam safe CA and kicker for my planes (except hot melt for the servos). CA is no more brittle than epoxy and is so much lighter, neater, and allows quicker building.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 05-02-2007 07:29 AM

Scott,

My re-build is almost ready. I can't reuse the control horns that came with the original kit and I'm much too horrible of a builder to make my own. Any chance I can send you some paypal $ and get a handful of the originals?

RAY

Galloping Ghost 05-03-2007 08:22 PM

Ray,

I'm sorry but I can't help you out with extra parts. All the overuns are gone from the first 3 production runs. The 4th production run will be happening soon and I plan to have extra foam pieces and hardware made. But the new spares will be slightly different than the originals.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

voodoo_chicken1 05-06-2007 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the 99% completed project. All that's missing is the ESC and velcro for the battery.

Galloping Ghost 05-25-2007 05:00 PM

Chicken, have you flown the bird yet?

Scott

www.ModelAero.com