Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New noob here

Old 12-15-2011, 07:39 AM
zeflyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New noob here

Hi all

As the younger crowed would say, I am a total noob when it comes to RC, my only actual experience with flying anything was playing Battlefield 1942, which i have to say got me hooked in WWII era warbirds.

After a few hours of reseach on the internet looking at what type of RTF eletric airplane for a noob i decided to get the HobbyZone Mini Champ RTF Electric RC airplane at a local hobby shop near my work, its cheap and it seems easy to fly. The owner of the hobby store has a flight simulator setup at his store and I played with it for about 1/2 hour. He invited me to use his simulator so, my plan is to stop by everyday at his shop at lunch for a quick 1/2 hour simulation flight so I can get used to the controls and eye hand coordination. I guess my only concern is that the control he has setup on his simulator is a lot better than the one that comes with the plane, and is it going to be a major difference ?

I haven't done my maiden flight yet, just got the plane yesterday and its been cloudy and rainy in CT so i might go this weekend weather permitting.

I bought an extra battery, I was wondering if I need anything else?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Lnewqban

Default RE: New noob here

Welcome to RCU!!

Ask the owner to select models with no ailerons in the simulator for you.

Your airplane turns by deflecting the rudder, which is a little different from how airplanes with ailerons turn.

Best luck in your first flights, for which you could benefit from the help of an experienced RC pilot
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
zeflyby

very good tip, will do.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the fun and the addiction of RC Flying. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to share in your learning experience. We are very happy to help you.

If you take a look at these discussions I think you will be well prepared, ESPECIALLY the first one.

> Six Keys to Success - Take a look starting at post 10
> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4355149/tm.htm

> THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF