Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Motor/ESC/Battery Question???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Motor/ESC/Battery Question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
pootman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor/ESC/Battery Question???

Hello All,

I'm new to electrics and would like some opinions on the motor/esc/battery I just ordered. Mostly will the battery be adequate for the motor I bought or will I need more or less (battery) to develop full performance. The motor is a Hacker A30-16M (X30 ESC) and a thunder power 2000 mAh, 3 cells rated at 12C (24A) continuous, 20C (40A) burst. The motor's specs are: RPM/V-1060, Battery-3 Li Po, operating amps-22A, and peak amps (15sec)-33A. The ESC is rated at current/peak (10sec) 30A/45A. This is all going into a Rogue 3D Bipe that is expected to weigh about 26-29oz. Any info or general information about motor/battery combo would be great!
Old 02-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Bevo

Default RE: Motor/ESC/Battery Question???

You should be fine. I'd check your Thunder Power battery when you get it because the newest 3 cell 2100 by them can handle 31.5 amps continuous and 50 amp bursts.

Bevo
Old 02-24-2006, 08:55 PM
pootman

Thanks for the reply. Now the 31.5 amps continuous and 50 amp burst you mentioned, is that the max amps the battery will provide regardless of motor demand or is that the max amps that a motor can draw on the battery without overheating it (battery)? Basically, if my motor is rated with less amp demand than the battery provides, will that burn up the motor or will the battery provide only what the motor demands and no more?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:33 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Batteries are rated by what amperage they can deliver. Motors are rated by how much they can accept. Higher voltages will ram more amperage into the motor. Larger higher pitched propellers will cause the motor to draw more amps.

So, it is a combination of motor pull and battery push. You just don't want to exceed the max that either can handle. Having a battery with a higher amp rating does NOT mean that it will push more amps into the motor, only that it can deliver that much if the motor demands it.

If your motor wants 20 amps and your battery can only deliver 15, the motor will not reach full power and the battery will potentially be damaged. NiCd and NiMh can handle the abuse better than Lipos. Lipos get very upset if you try to draw too much.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
pootman

Thanks for that information, it is very helpful and clears thing up quite a bit.