Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

newb question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:45 PM
treedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb question

i bought a 18 amp brushless inrunner from nitro models and a 20 amp esc from same place . No wiring diagrams came with, and does any 1 know if the brushless esc's come with a bec automatically or do i need 1 of those also? TY john
here are some pics i just got off the site. and what kind of mounts do i use or need for a mini ultra
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59896.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	509794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59844.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	509795  
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 PM
e-flight22

Default RE: newb question

hey john,

what brushless esc did u purchase? i know the caste creations ones have programing, otherwise you might have to program it or it could be set already. whats the link for nitro models, the products you purchased, there names? i might be able to help more if i have that info

David
Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 PM
treedog

i just posted a few pics of the outfit i purchased hope u can see it ty e
link http://www.nitroplanes.com/inbrmo.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/spco.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/b2hainbrmo48.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/20abecbrrcsp.html
looks like it was a 20 amp motor and esc hope i got that part right and its looks like its got a bec in it ty e flight
Old 08-19-2006, 09:32 PM
snowboyd

Hi,

As a general guide, most generic "made in China" speed controllers are now setup with default settings to:

brake - off
battery- Lithium battery
Cutoff -Reduce power at medium (eg 2.75v per cell)
Startup - Normal for aircraft
Timing - medium for general outrunner

Connect blue to white, red and black dependant on the rotation required for prop.
Plug in battery and receiver and you are good to go.

When battery gets low, it will reduce power. this is your hint to land.

Have fun

Boyd
Old 08-19-2006, 09:41 PM
treedog

ty snow boyd that should get me started. i may have to come back later to ask more Does the red black wire chang the direction of travel of the motor? AND HOW DO I MOUNT IT
Old 08-19-2006, 09:45 PM
e-flight22

thanks for the website john that helps

what batteries were u planning on using with this setup? u wanna make sure that the pack u have wont be pulling over 20amps, i usually leave a little extra room for about 5-10amps over just in case when u pull those high amp maneuvers. if the pack u have is pulling over 20amps u might have to consider a new speed control and motor. im not very familiar with the motor and speed control u purchased in those links, but the speed control from reading the stuff on the website comes with a bec. if u are using lipoly u might want to get a caste creations speed control becuz recently major companies and such have started to suggested not having 3.0volts per cell cutoff, but instead upping that to 3.2volts per cell. on mine i go to 3.3 volts per cell, mainly cuz im overcautious and dont have extra money to buy new batteries haha let me know what batteries u are using, that might determine what u do.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 PM
e-flight22

do u have AIM at all? my AIM username is: soarus1999 that way instant answers/help [8D]
Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 PM
snowboyd

ESC to Motor has 3 wires. Connect blue to white. Then red and black dependant on the rotation required for prop. So if you connect red to red/black to black and it is rotating wrong way....swap so red to black / black to red.

What application are you using it for. Normally in planes you purchase an aluminium mounting plate - kind of like a cross with a circle in the middle for the shaft.

Depending on KV of motor sometimes you mount to gearbox.

regards,

Boyd

Old 08-19-2006, 10:06 PM
treedog

Let me ask u both what batteries u recommend, as i haven't purchased any yet. I was thinking of going with lipos but i'll take ur advice. also maybe ill get a good esc from castle as i'll always have it in case motor burns up he he and ty for advice for the flate plate mount. This motor is very slim , i'de say about 1' wide not much more than that. Do u think i'll need a heat sink for the motor? Do u recommend a 3s, 4s, or 2s battery?
e-flight my Windows messenger name is Wile e Coyote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
e-flight22

im online on aim/aol now. what plane are u putting this setup in? link?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
treedog

mini ultra stick eflite the new model they just reviewed e flight sorry thought i had aim only it's windows messenger sorry
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2250
Old 08-19-2006, 10:30 PM
treedog

Seriously i'm getting great help from both of u and like i say i'm new so this is a steep learning curve but i have a good electrcal back ground so it will be easier for me as i had a tv radio repair shop . Great advice so far , i'm listening very close.
john
Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 PM
e-flight22

http://www.modelflight.com.au/eflite...ltra-stick.htm

this website looks like it has some great information for it

Power Setup Overview

The Mini Ultra Stick is versatile enough to accommodate a wide variety of motor choices. E-flite’s Park 450 890Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (EFLM1400) with Outrunner Stick Mount (EFLM1915) provides excellent aerobatic or sport performance when matched with a 10 x 7 prop (EFLP1070). For a high power geared alternative, try the E-flite Park 400 4200Kv Brushless Inrunner Motor (EFLM1100) with a 6.5:1 gearbox (EFLM240) and 11 x 7 prop (EFLP1170).

Wing Span: 38.75 in (985mm)

Overall Length: 34 in (865mm)

Wing Area: 325 sq in (21 sq dm)

Flying Weight: 22 - 25 oz (625 - 710g)

Motor Size: Park 400 Inrunner or Park 450 Outrunner

Radio: 4-channel or greater (7-channel for quad flaps)

Servos: 4 sub-micros (6 sub-micros for quad flaps)

Trim Scheme Colors: UltraCote Fluourescent Blue, Flame Red,

Transparent Red & White

CG (center of gravity): 2.25 in (57mm) behind the leading edge

Prop Size: 10x7 - 11x7

Hardware Included: Yes

Speed Control : 20A Brushless

Recommended Battery: 2100 mAh 3-Cell 11.1V Li-Po

Flaps: Yes (optional)

Control Throw (Ailerons): 1/2 in (15mm) Up/Down Low Rate or 5/8 in (19mm) High Rate

Control Throw (Elevator): 9/16 in (18mm) Up/Down Low Rate or 7/8 in (23mm) High Rate

Control Throw (Rudder): 7/8 in (23mm) Right/Left Low Rate or 1-1/4 in (32mm) High Rate

Approx. Flying Duration: 10-20 minutes

Scale: Park Flyer

Approx. Assembly Time: 1-2 hours

Gear Ratio: 6.5:1 when using Park 400 Brushless Inrunner

Sorry if im showing you information you already know. it looks like youll need a gear ratio for it under the Power Setup Overview that might help.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:33 PM
e-flight22

are you new to r/c planes john ? was just wondering since this plane is more of a second plane instead of a first plane "trainer".
Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
treedog

wow i didn't see that gearbox setup for it as at first i was thinking of going a small glow powered route. thanx e. do u think the inrunner i have will still be ok or go with what they recommend?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:40 PM
treedog

sorry to say i just got back into this hobby after 20 yrs and that was all glow powered but i'm learning fast this will be for a second plain after i get a few more flights on my trainer
Old 08-19-2006, 10:45 PM
e-flight22

k cool, just wanted to make sure, so u wouldnt end up disappointed with a crashed plane
Old 08-19-2006, 10:53 PM
e-flight22

the motor could work dont see any reason y it wouldnt, i went flying today and saw one of those planes you have/are looking at. they are rly nice planes. id compare the motor specs of the motor you currently have and the motor they suggest on the websites, and see how the specs compare, you want very close if not better than what they recommend. make sure when u check the specs that you are comparing motor to motor or motor plus gear, etc...if they are close you should be good to go. if not then id suggest getting the motor they suggest on the websites, depending on what power option route u want. having an overpowered plane is alot better than having an underpowered one now for batteries thats a whole different ballgame right there, that rly depends on the motor and esc you are going to use. id get that figured out first then go from there.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:03 PM
treedog

Ok eflite this is great info as u can see i try to prepare ahead of time when i start a new project but when i got into this electric thing i think i bit off more than i thought i could chew glad to have ;peeps that know about electric stuff or i'de be lost thx again
john
Old 08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
e-flight22

nah john what your doing is good, i do it to take a look at those specs and compare the amps, volts, rpm they are running, dimensions, etc...then you should be set to figure out if your speed control and the battery u want will work, or if you have to go back to the drawing board and find a different motor
Old 08-19-2006, 11:18 PM
treedog

The shaft size is 2.3 mm on mine as compared to the park 400 but the amps and rpm per volt all seem to be very close amps are 20 and rpm/v is 4200 /4700 a 500 rpm diff not to bad eh?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:09 AM
e-flight22

well then its rly up to u and what u want to do with the motor setup. if it was me personally id go with whichever setup of the ones they recommend that fits your flying style. you could start out with what you have now and if you feel u want it to go faster or something you can always upgrade down the line. what they recommend is usually a rly good base to go from and then its rly just trial and error from there to find what u want. some setups can pull it straight vertical, others will be aerobatic but not crazy, depends on what u want.