Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

T-Hawk Battery Replacement?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

T-Hawk Battery Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 PM
WECKY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Hawk Battery Replacement?

I have a T-Hawk,Skyseeker and Predator.Planes good,batteries ehh.Could I go to li-poly or something else.Is there an all in one wall charger to go with these better batteries.What is the tool needed to check if the batteries are fully charged?My T-Hawk has crashed on launching several times with batteries that were supposed to be fully charged.current batteries are labeled KAN 7x2/3a 900mAH for T-Hawk and KAN Ni-MH 7.2 v 6x2 600 mAH for the other 2.What about adapters if the new connections are not Tamiya heavy duty standard.I appreciate the help,really!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: T-Hawk Battery Replacement?

You definitely cannot go to a 3 cell 11.1volt LiPo with the stock setup, things will smoke [:-] You could go to a 2 cell 7.4 volt LiPo, but you would probably have to get a new ESC that has a correct auo low voltage cutoff for LiPo's. The safest thing to do is just get a nicer brand name battery that matches the volts and cells of the stock batteries, but has a higher mah rating so you get more flying time. That is what I did with my first plane and it made a world of difference. Try batteryspace.com or cheap batterypacks.com. I would also recommend ditching the Tamiya connectors and going with something like a Deans Ultra. Much more reliable.

It is better to just have a charger for LiPo's, but there are several chargers that will do it all, NiCd's, NiMh's, LiPo, Li-Ion.....I think Great Planes and Multiplex both have one. With the LiPo's you need a balancer, it just verifies that all cells have at least 3.2 volts, and then balances all cells so that they have equal voltage.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
WECKY

ok I have a battery from batteryspace.com for my Easystar It's 7.2 v1100mAh with an deans adapter,can I use that in my T-Hawk(see above)?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 PM
WECKY

Also,from Batteryspace I have a smart charger to charge the above battery can I use it to charge my T-Hawk Batts.?I see that I can't charge the 600 mAh Predator and Skyseeker batteries.Thanks don't mean to be a pain.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: WECKY

ok I have a battery from batteryspace.com for my Easystar It's 7.2 v1100mAh with an deans adapter,can I use that in my T-Hawk(see above)?
As long as the stock battery for the T-Hawk was also a 7.2 volt, you should be fine.

Also,from Batteryspace I have a smart charger to charge the above battery can I use it to charge my T-Hawk Batts.?I see that I can't charge the 600 mAh Predator and Skyseeker batteries.Thanks don't mean to be a pain.
As long as both batteries are the same voltage, 7.2, and both are the same type, NiMh's, it should work fine. However, if the charger is specifically for the 1100mah size, you may have to pull the 600mah or 900mah batteries off early to avoid overcharging. Unless it has some kind of setting to program in the battery capacity. You will have to put a Deans plug on the charger if it did not come with one, and you will also have to put deans plugs on your old batteries.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 PM
WECKY

When you say deans is a adapter plug ok?A converter wire/plug.The charger is an .06 smart charger from batteryspace,I think you have taught me that this is ok and will work.But do I have to remove and replace the tamiya connectors or just put an adaptor cord in the middle?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Fliprob17

I would remove all the Tamiya plugs and put the deans plugs in their place, which then means you need to switch the connector on all of your ESC's as well. The ESC should have male plugs on both sides, and your battery and motor should have female plugs. That is the best way to do it. If you don't want to deal with all of the hassel, you can use or make an adapter for the new charger (if it is Tamiya plug) to work with the Deans plug on the new battery. And leave the Tamiya plugs on everything else. You will then also have to use that adapter when that battery is connected to whichever planes ESC, since your ESC is Tamiya. Deans is just cleaner, and no adapter to possibly loose any juice. Just a better overall setup with less connection problems than those Tamiya plugs.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:29 AM
WECKY

Thanks for all your help,the charger from Toytronics(T-Hawk etc) dos'nt charge the batteries fully.When I put the supposedly charged batteries on the batteryspace 06 smart charger they continued to charge for another hour and now have full power again.I don't want to knock Toytronics they are excellent,this charger went bad thats all.I will buy the smaller charger for my 600mAh stuff and upgrade tp better batteries as I go along.I have a Deans adaptor from the 1100 mAh I bought from Battspace for my Easystar.Finally I will try that 1100 mAh in the T-Hawk I think it should be fine.Again thanks.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Fliprob17

Good luck.