Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Battery ? from a dummy

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Battery ? from a dummy

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:41 PM
JRAllen
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery ? from a dummy

Ok, I am trying to get into electrics. On the batteries you have stuff like 3S3P, 5S3P, 6S1P. Can ANYONE help me understand what all of this means on battery packs. Or maybe know a website that gives this information. Please Help, I am really interested in learning the electrics.

Jamie
Old 11-04-2006, 02:20 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Battery ? from a dummy

Hi Jamie-

I'll take a shot at explaining this.

This nomenclature tells you how many individual cells are in a battery pack and how they are connected. In theory, you can describe any type of battery pack this way, but it's most often used to describe lithium-polymer packs.

The first number (the "S" number) tells you how many cells are connected in Series (S for Series). From this, you can determine the voltage of the pack.

A single lipo cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7V. So a 3S pack is a bank of 3 cells connected in series and has a voltage of 3 x 3.7 = 11.1V. A 4S pack is a bank of 4 cells connected in series and has a voltage of 4 x 3.7 = 14.8V. A 5S pack = 18.5V. A 6S pack = 22.2V, etc.

The second number (the "P" number) tells you how many of these series-connected banks are connected in parallel (P for Parallel). The larger the number of banks connected in parallel, the greater the capacity of the pack.

Examples:

A 3S2P pack has two 3-cell banks connected in parallel, a total of 6 cells. The voltage is 11.1V, and the capacity is twice that of a single bank of 3 series-connected cells.

Let's assume you are using cells with a capacity of 2000 mAh.

Then a 3S2P pack will have a voltage of 11.1V and a capacity of 2 x 2000 = 4000 mAh.

Using the same 2000 mAh cells, a 3S3P pack (9 cells) will have a voltage of 11.1V and a capacity of 3 x 2000 = 6000 mAh.

A 5S3P pack (15 cells) will have a voltage 18.5V and a capacity of 3 x 2000 = 6000 mAh.

Packs with the designation "1P" have only one bank of series-connected cells. So a 4S1P pack consists of one bank of 4 cells connected in series. The "1P" is often omitted when describing packs with only one bank of cells, so when you hear a pack referred to as (for example) "3S" that usually means a pack consisting of 3 cells connected in series.

- Jeff
Old 11-04-2006, 04:54 AM
JRAllen
My Feedback: (71)

Default RE: Battery ? from a dummy

Thanks Jeff,
I glad that wasn't as hard to figure out as I thought. I got it now.

Jamie