Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Glow to Electric Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Glow to Electric Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Woodpile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow to Electric Conversion

I'm sure this question has been asked in many variations before, but I'll ask anyway.

I am starting a powered Glider project that calls for a .19 to .25 glow engine, but I would rather use an electric. I am new to this aspect of our obession (er, I meant hobby) and would like to know which size electric would be best suited for this model. The specifics are as follows:

Wing Span- 105"
Wing Chord/Area- 11.5 Root, 9 Tip/ 1086 sq in.
Flying Weight (as a glow aircraft)- 64 oz.
Wing Loading- 17oz/ sq ft.

What I am looking for the motor to do is gain me some air under the fuse so I can glide for a while. That's why I want the electric. It'll save the weight of a servo to run the throttle and I can shut it down completely in flight and re-start it when needed.

Any advice of which size of motor and which manufacturers would be greatly appreciated. Also any advice on gearing versus direct drive would be very helpful.

Ed
Old 01-28-2003, 01:01 AM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

You post quite a broad question.The motor/controler is really dependent on how much$$$$ you want to spend.Most of the real hot gliders use brushless motors. Like Hacker,Aveox,plettenburg,Kontronics.Here's a couple of web sites to check out,www.aero-model.com and www.nesail.com Another choice is to come to the WRAM show in new york(feb 21,22,23) good luck.stefanP
Old 01-28-2003, 02:20 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in no way an expert, but it my fly on a endoplasma, GD600 gear box with 3.8:1, APC 12X6 "E" prop, 8 to 10 2400mah nicds, 30 amp ECS.

Motor is $20.00
Gear box is $14.00
ESC is about $35.00
Batterys are $50.00 for 2 6cell packs.

Right or wrong my opinion only.

Dru.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:30 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

Woodpile go here,www.liftzone.com sorry i forgot about it.stefanP
Old 01-29-2003, 04:30 AM
Woodpile

Thanx for the help. I'll keep you posted on how it comes out. Been up for 20 hours now, but I'll browse those sites soon. Just wanted to thank you for your help...

Ed