Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

First Plane / Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Bob L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Plane / Radio

I have been reading a lot of discussion threads on recommended first electric planes and radios. I am seriously considering the Hobbyzone SuperCub or the Ready To Fly Fun T-Hawk. Both planes seem to be recommended choices. Both planes come with a 27Mhz radio although I can elect not to get a radio with the T-Hawk. I have flown a Firebird Commander 2 a few times without too much trouble. I will primarily be self taught. Given this information which plane do you recommend?? If I get the T-Hawk, should I get the radio that comes with it or should I get a differnt radio. Two radios that seem to be recommended for a beginner is the Futaba 4EX4A Micro and the Hitec laser 4 Micro. I dont' want to specnd too much on my firts plane and radio but I want to get the most for my money and a relatively easy and robust system to learn with. I am an engineer and tend to over-analyze everything! Please give me you advice based on your experience!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Bob L

Default RE: First Plane / Radio

An engineer I am but I would not stand a chance in a spelling bee!!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Slo-V Flyer

The Futaba 4exa is a good investment, though I know you want to keep your budget low, I'd spend the additional $20-30 more and get the 6EXA (total about $160-ish with 3 micro servos) so you can have more channels available as well as more functions for future use. Again, that's my preference (I actually exchanged my 4EXA for a 6EXA a week after buying it when I found out the price difference).

As for which plane, well, if you want to buy your own radio (good idea) get that T-Hawk, then as you learn on it, you can move up to better, or different planes and reuse your own quality radio stuff and such without spending too much on the plane with it's crummy RTF equipment. Plus the T-Hawk is a pusher plane so you don't have to worry so much about bumping the nose and damaging the prop and gearbox.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Bob L

Slo-V-Flyer
Thanks for the reply. One thing that worries me about the better radio is the learning curve. Will it be difficult to learn on a radio that has so many features? Is there a 'basic' or 'easy' mode so to speak?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:12 AM
Leo L

Bob,

Welcome to electric flying! You, as many before you, have entered the great debate of whether to buy a quality radio for your first plane. The likelyhood is that, should you decide to stay with the hobby, whatever radio you choose at this time will not be the one that you are using several years from now, unless you decide to spend the bucks and get the top of the line, something like the DX7, which sells for $350.

My recommendation to beginners, particularly if they will be self-taught, is to start with a Ready-To-Fly (RTF) plane from a reputable manufacturer. As a beginner, with no experience to support you, when you get the plane in the air and the plane doesn't behave as expected, you want the number of variables to be as small as possible, so that you can sort through them and find the cause of the problem. The more variables, the more difficult to resolve the problem. When flying, time is not on your side. You need to make almost instantaneous analysis and decisions, otherwise the plane becomes a pile of expensive junk. If the radio, and all of the associated electronic gear, was installed by the manufacturer, the odds are pretty good that the radio is performing as intended. If you installed the radio, there is the possibility that your installation is the cause, or contributor, to the problem.

Based on my observations, and the shared experiences on numerous beginner flyers on the various forums, he best beginner planes currently on the market are the HobbyZone SuperCub and the Multiplex EasyStar. Others, like the T-hawk, Aerobird Challenger, Wingo, SkyFly, etc., are also very good, but not as good as the two that I mentioned. Although many flyers prefer hand launching, I hate the idea and never handlaunch. For this reason I recommend the SuperCub over the EasyStar; although one flyer that I know was successful in adding landing gear to his EasyStar.

Good luck and let us know what you select.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Bob L

Leo L,
Thanks for the reply. I have read a few threads where you have recommended the SuperCub. It does seem to have a good reputation as a model for beginners. Based on your experience and what has been posted on the forums, the SuperCub seems to be the plane of choice--even though the T-Hawk is a pusher prop which may result in less prop damage and it comes with spare parts for about the same money. I thought the T-Hawk might be more durable based on the design and what I have read.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:51 PM
AJ1202

Bob, unless room to fly is a issue I would say go with the super cub, it is a very dosile plane and perfect for learning, also it is a great candidate to upgrade later, ie your own gear, adding ailerons and brushless motor, from all I have read and heard from freinds here that have the super cub, you can't go wrong. I gave away my Shun Da Cub so I could get a super cub.
Good Luck with what ever you choose and use these forums for help when you need them.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:50 PM
darkpbstar

I was looking at the Super cub after reading this thread and I like it. I am a beginner and have never flown. It seems to be the perfect size for what I want, and the perfect price. What I saw on hobbyzone site said it had a duration of 10-15min of flight. Is this true??? cause if I go drive somewhere to fly it, I'd really like to fly for more than 10 minutes. can someone clear this up for me.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Slo-V Flyer

darkpbstar,

Most RTF planes come with Nimh or NiCd batteries that are going to last 8-12 minutes on average, depending on throttle use. You can always buy more batteries, or *better* higer capacity batteries as you wish. And, depending on the equipment, you can use the lighter/more capacity Lithium Polymer batteries, though I'd stay away from them if you'r learning to fly as they are more volatile to damage and um... problems... if you overcharge/over discharge them, and they are more costly. Though with Li-pos you *can* fly anywhere from 15-30 minutes, and in some planes those batts can last up to an hour if you wanted to do such a thing.

It's just how ... electric powered life is I guess. Things will get better as technology improves. And trust me when you're learning, 1 minute can seem to be a long time, but you will get used to it. A fun flight session even if only 10 minutes can leave a very good and satisfying impression on you for the rest of the day. I usually fly about 20-30 minutes and am done, unless I have more time to kill and the weather is just begging for more flights.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:55 PM
stinger40

Super Flying Models Soarstar
Futaba 4EXA

Excellent Combo!
Old 12-24-2006, 01:59 AM
darkpbstar

so should I get one of those supercubs (I think that's what it's called) or what? I don't know if I should get an electric plane, or another type of plane for starting out. Glow I guess, which I don't knwo what is, but some other people were saying get one of those planes not an electric.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:34 AM
benbailey50

Hi Bob.

Welcome to the world of electric flight. Merry Christmas to you and you family

This is my first time in electric flight also......

I have started out with the E-flite Cessna 182. Park 370 inrunner, Futaba 4YF radio system. Thunder Power Li-Po packs.

Hope this is of help to you Bob.

Have a great day.

Ben.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:37 AM
crau

I think that a super cub would definately be the best choice. it is a three channel, and its not a "stick" plane like the commander or the scout or the freedom!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM
Leo L

Glow planes are substantially heavier than the electrics and are therefore considerably more dangerous. Unless you live out in the country, with lots of farmland, you can only fly a glow plane in a dedicated field, while the smaller electrics can be flown in parks. Its very difficult, and expensive, to learn to fly with a glow plane if you don't have an instructor. On the other hand, there are many very good electric beginner planes that will allow you to learn on your own.

Typically, a beginner electric will get about 8-10 minutes per charge. Most flyers have multiple batteries that they pre-charge and can fly several flights. There are also numerous car chargers that can charge the battery in about 45 minutes.