Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy to fly this?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Am I crazy to fly this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
FalloutMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy to fly this?

After lots of sim time (about 48 hours total over the weekend [thursday night, friday, sat, and sunday]) with ExPack 1 that has the FlatOuts in it, I think ill skip the ailronless trainer and go straight for this plane and hitting the elementary school field on a windless day and seeing how well I can handle the real thing. i figured $25 isnt too much to spend on a plane that might have a 5 minute lifespan so I'm not too worried about attempting repair and scrapping it a couple times. How well does this plane handle in slight gusts and how tuff is it? Great Planes says it can take a dip without too much of a problem, and I feel confident that I can fly it, and my wallet can take a couple hits.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Default RE: Am I crazy to fly this?

I see that you are a car/truck guy so I assume you know a bit about esc's, Rx's, servos and the such.
You will need more in that plane than $25 for sure. It comes with a geared brushed motor and prop and hardware, but you will also have to buy a Rx, servos and esc.

48 hours on a sim is not alot and I would have to believe with a flatout profile plane you will not be too successful(sorry).
These flatouts are quick and fragile.

I do wish you luck on your maiden.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 PM
FalloutMan

Yeah, I'm aware of what I need with the plane, and when I say 25 clams, I mean to get a new plane, not esc etc, although I'll start a collection of motors and props. Maybe after a couple planes I could make a P-38 I figured it would be quick in RL, but there is nothing more fun than a frustrating day of learning something on your own. Since they are so cheap, I could probably pick up the J-3 flatout and fly a month on that. I guess it never hurts to try, and I figure the only thing that I will loose is some foam and a prop. BTW, if anyone is curious, I'm gunna pick up an Airtronics VG6000 with the micro servos and hook it up to the G3 and get used to it.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:04 AM
gt5500

In this hobby jumping in at the deep end is the complete wrong way to learn, to ever be a good pilot you need to learn all the basics on a slow plane and master them, then when you move on to more advanced planes you moves will be smoother, rc pilots have a saying "you learn to fly rough, you always fly rough" this is very true and I really think you should learn on a nice slow trainer and perfect all the basic moves first, having said that the fact that you want to jump straight to a 3d plane suggests you may be a bit impatient in which case you most likely will never make a good pilot. If cost is the issue why not get an e-starter its nearly the same price as a flatout plane (which by the way are not just difficult to fly because they are 3d capable but also becuase they are fast, fragile and quite difficult to build). So in a word 'yes' you are crazy either that or a bit arrogant, sure some people have learned on these planes but will they ever become master pilots, I doubt it. Someone mentioned that you are a car/truck guy if you ask around you will find many of the good drivers got forced by their club leaders to drive on a small battery pack to resist the urge to go too fast, as a result they learned to drive smoothly and when the started going faster they were faster then everyone else. Walk before you can run.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say do it! If you are well aware you might be in for more than you can handle. Build it, fly it, crash it, and build it again, nothing wrong with that. Keep the throws low, and try to stay out of the throttle, and these things are cake to fly. (Of course I've been flying for many years and control is reflex, not conscious thinking)
Couple warnings. Make sure there is no one around to run the plane into. Taking a plane home in a bag is one thing. Sending someone to the hospital for stitches is another, and unacceptable outcome.

This hobby is about having fun! Be safe and courteous to others, but have fun your way!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
FalloutMan

You know, life isnt fun when you dont take risks. I think I might pick up the FlatOut J-3 and learn from there. If I fly rough, the only thing that matters is that I land it every time. I don't plan on going into 3d tournies or being affiliated with a club, so a not-so-polished style isnt gunna bother me.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:53 PM
CitaFly

Check this Bug out:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=27]Ligthflite RC Bug[/link]

You can start out slow and work up to insane and not trash the plane, but you will need a transmitter that can set dual rates and exponential to do it this way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18513.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	651330  
Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
FalloutMan

well, that bug sure is interesting, but I only want stuff through my LHS to support them (like they really need the business though). I might just stick with a 3d and make the endpoints somewhere around 30% of servo full. The worst that can happen is that my lipo blows up after a catistrofic crash.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:33 AM
gt5500

Learning to fly by constantly crashing is not the right way to learn, its your choice whether you listen or not but jumping to an advanced plane is not 'taking a risk' its just stupid and impatient. If you can't be bothered to spend some time flying a 'boring' trainer then you are in the wrong hobby I am afraid, how do you think you will ever get good at flying if you learned to fly by trying to tame a beast, you won't learn to be gentle and smooth, I strongly think you should consider a 4ch trainer like the estarter, if you buy the right parts you can move them into the flatout plane when you are ready for it and besides the e-starter is about the same price as the flatout. And one more thing if you do some searching you will quickly find that the flatout planes are not even favoured by experienced pilots due to them being fragile and difficult to build so as a beginner how long do you think it will last?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Honestly, I wasnt at all impressed with the Cap's flying abilities. Aside from the flatouts known problems for beginners building them...It will not take a hit. If you crash it, it will break. I wouldnt recommend that one.

If you are looking for something durable, and low cost...and a plane that can 3D eventually...take a look at the FunForce warbirds.

One of my students here got one, and its a pretty good little plane especially for the money. It handles well outdoors, will do most 3D maneuvers, and actually flys pretty well. They are fairly low cost too. Around $29.99 with a brushed motor. The included motor will hover the plane, and has plenty of power. They also have a airfoiled wing, which makes the plane fly more like a larger RC plane. They are fairly easy to build even for a beginner.

Another one to look at is the Ultimate FX. its fairly easy to build. Just make sure that the bottom wing is glued on square with the tail surfaces. Its a really fun plane to fly, handles wind well, and looks super sharp.

I would also highly recommend that since you've chosen to jump in head first and go straight to an aerobatic plane that you find a local pilot to buddy box you on your first few flights. Otherwise your first flight will likely only last as long as it takes to get off the ground. The simulator is a good choice, but it is not real flying. Dont let your success in the simulator give you the mistaken thoughts that you can handle a real plane. Its not the same.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
gt5500

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Dont let your success in the simulator give you the mistaken thoughts that you can handle a real plane. Its not the same.
Hit the nail on the head there bud, I think this guy is thinking he can just go out and fly like he can on the sim, good recommendation with the ultimate FX I have heard good things about it although in all the videos I have seen it seems to suffer really badly with wing rock in harrier's? also I would be a bit concerned about durablility as it is rolled depron which although strong can be harder to repair. Another good recommendation is the formosa II, but I would have to agree anything aerobatic will be best suited to an instructor training scenerio, if you want to teach yourself you will be much better off with an e-starter or something similar, at the end of the day on high rates it will loop, roll, hammerhead, stall turn and other mild aerobatics, you can be trying out full blown 3d till you've mastered them anyway so why would you need a 3d plane first?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 PM
packyj

Simulator time would only relate to actual flying if our computer radios had the spacebar button somewhere on it. Don't waste your money however little it is on a pile of foam parts and a potentially burned up lipo + radio gear.