Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

e-starter problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 PM
shoegoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-starter problem.

O.k, I maidened my e-starter today and when i give it aileron input it wants to nose up almost into a knife edge - is it because of the dihedral in the wing? I actually let a another pilot fly it first because I hate to maiden planes and he is a very good pilot and he was having a hard time with it. If you use rudder to turn it does fine, but I bought this plane as an aileron trainer. What do i need to do to make it fly like a normal aileron plane? (when I say normal, I mean like a parkzone trojan - the only other aileron plane I've flown)
Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: e-starter problem.

I have tow of them and those ailerons really do make the plane snappy. I just set up dual rates on my aileron channel and dropped the servo travel down to 70% of original. I honestly never fly using the rudder except to keep the plane running straight at takeoff. As soon as its airborne its all aileron for turning. They are pretty docile if you can drop that rate down some.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
3DSAVAGE

is it tail heavy? i think u might have 2 much throw in the ailerons. either that or u have swapped or combined channels, like on some 3ch. planes(both sticks can move rudder) i have never heard of this happening, i love my estarter and it flies like a dream.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
shoegoo

It balanced out just a tad nose heavy, and I think my throws may actually be a little less than the instructions call for. I'm using a dx7 and I have around 40% expo and no kind of mixing, I have it set up on low rate with around 80%. It's not that it's snappy, it just won't turn with the ailerons. I've checked and rechecked and when I move the ailerons they are the only thing that move, but in the air if you give it left or right aileron it banks a little and the nose goes straight up. I've spent months on the simulator and seen 60 or 70 planes flown and have never seen anything like this before.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Time Pilot

Not sure what you mean by nose-up in a knife edge. If the plane is on its side, give it some up elevator and she will turn. Planes do not turn with ailerons. Ailerons bank the plane and the elevator makes the plane turn.

If the plane is pitching up instead of banking, you may be applying up elevator as you input aileron control. As already mentioned, the Estarter is a very honest flying trainer.

If it reacts differently in left and right turns, there may be a problem in the build. Take a look from behind the plane, 10' back, and see if everything lines up properly.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Have you tried programming a new model in your DX7? Start from scratch and see what happens. I have never had any nose up with aileron. Your symptom is definately not normal.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
shoegoo

I'm convinced it's something I'm doing wrong - I've seen too many videos of the e-starter flying perfectly for it to be the plane. I double checked to make sure everything is square on the plane - it is, I think I'm going to initialize my dx7 and start over. When I say turn with ailerons I mean bank with them the give some up elevator, when flying level and move the right stick left or right it tries to bank but the nose goes up also - it may be something I have set up wrong on the controller because the pilot I let fly it has been flying for a long time, I think he could fly a brick (even if it had parkzone electronics in it).
Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: shoegoo
when flying level and move the right stick left or right it tries to bank but the nose goes up also -
When I fly my Estarter, I have to use rudder to get a nice looking turn. I add a little rudder in the direction that I'm turning. That may be part of your problem.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
AJ1202

Try this, take the plane out and fly it around getting it trimmed out to fly level at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, then land it and look at your elevator setting, if it is trimmed up there is your prob, it may be that if your flying nose heavy or your thrust angle is off then trimming to compensate will effect it's reaction when using the ailerons.
Like mentioned ailerons don't turn the plane, but the dehedrial in the ES wing will make it bank into a turn on it's own
Also try going from WOT in level flight to no throttle, if it noses up then your thrust angle is off
remember when you roll into a turn the plane will slow down and the lift on the wing changes so now all you settings and adjustment come into play
I hope you get it sorted out as the ES is an excellent flyer
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM
shoegoo

Thanks for all the advice guys, I plan to put it to use this weekend - if the wind cooperates.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 PM
shoegoo

I want to thank everyone who offered an opinion or idea as to what may be causing the problem I was having - I'm glad to report that I just got back from flying and the plane did great. The only things I changed were leaving off the wing struts and upping the aileron throw to around 1/2 inch each way. The only thing I can figure is it just did not have enough throw on the ailerons before because today it banked just fine, I was able to fly in 10 to 15 mph winds and even landed it without the gear coming off. Thanks again.