Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
 E-Flite L-4 Grasshopper Conversion Thread >

E-Flite L-4 Grasshopper Conversion Thread

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

E-Flite L-4 Grasshopper Conversion Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite L-4 Grasshopper Conversion Thread

I converted this a couple of months ago also. It has a Cox .020 in it with throttle and a 6x3 prop instead of the normal 4x2. I had to make a fuel tank for it, it runs about 10 minutes on a tank. It weighs about 11oz if I remember correctly. It's underpowered but flies good on the wing, about like what I imagine a rubber band r/c plane would fly like. At full throttle it will slowly climb and low throttle it will slowly descend. When it's at low throttle it's as quiet as an electric. A completely cowled in .020 turning a 6x3 with a throttle covering the exhaust ports makes very little noise. When I get a chance to fly it with no wind Iwant to try some touch and goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay74787.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1377970  
Old 02-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Default RE: E-Flite L-4 Grasshopper Conversion Thread

I flew my L-4 Grasshopper yesterday morning just before the wind came up. I am still working the bugs out of it. Mostly getting the engine to run reliable. I burned about an ounce of fuel in the .07 GP Thunder Tiger engine before it quit on me. I was a little too far out to make it back to the runway so I made a off field landing with no damage. The only damage I have occurred in the three short flights was the landing gear axles are way to small to handle the weight of the addition of engine, tank and extra servo for throttle. I didnt have enough up elevator and on its first landing on the runway it couldnt flair so it snapped the wheels off. I made new out of a slightly larger diameter wire and soldered it to the existing wire gear under the fuselage. Works nicely now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62732.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1378678  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Cool Wdemon.   How'd you shoehorn that .07 in there?   I bet it will have plenty of power once you get it running right.  I have a TT07 that I haven't been able to get running consistenly.   Did you have to add any weight to balance it?   Mine was tailheavy and I had to put the battery on the firewall to make it balance.   I think a Norvel .049 would be just about right for this plane.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I've seen Wdemon's fly and it's a veritable rocket with the .07. It took all of 4 feet for it to rise off with plenty of ponies for a quick climb out. I have the same motor in my SE5a and 2 in my PBY. They seem to be quite sensitive to the setting of the air bleed screw. I have found once the high speed is more or less peaked out, and then you have trouble with consistent idle or transition from low to high RPM, some fine tuning on the air bleed is needed. Even though the destructions say to turn the air bleed in 1/2 turn increments, it can take as little as 1/16 turn to make a difference when it's time to fine tune. The initial set-up seems to result in a lean low end condition so I have found very minor richening of the air bleed and doing nose up and down tests at WOT and idle seem to get it in the zone.

We were thinking that something a little smaller would work in the L-4, like .049, .051, or .061.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM

that's a nice looking plane...