Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

glow plug adapter for gas/glow conv.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM
no_spamola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plug adapter for gas/glow conv.

Hi,
Is there a source for a glow plug adapter used in the gas glow conversions? HH does not carry them anymore. What would it take to make one from the a spark plug. Ican tap and die but Idon't have any metal machining tools.
Thanks,
John
Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glow plug adapter for gas/glow conv.

ORIGINAL: no_spamola

Hi,
Is there a source for a glow plug adapter used in the gas glow conversions? HH does not carry them anymore. What would it take to make one from the a spark plug. I can tap and die but I don't have any metal machining tools.
Thanks,
John
Go to FUJIMAN in the gas glow how to forum here on RCU. It works, with a simple search. I know, I just did it.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM
no_spamola

Thanks Spaceworm.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 AM
earlwb

Wacker engines has some glow plug adapters http://wackerengines.com/Other.htm
Gene Barton may still be making them too http://www.genebarton.com/
Thunderbolt RC still shows some too http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...&cPath=100_183

outside the USA there is this one too http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...g-adaptor.html

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Scota4570

I read about a 40 size gasser that operated like as glow engine. It is a new thing. The glow plug was "special". Anyone know anything about it. Can we get those glow plugs. It would be interesting to eliminate the spark plug on our larger stuff. Just so I don't consfuse anyone, I know about runining glow/gas mixtures, that is not what I mean.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
no_spamola

Thanks Earl,

Wackerengines has not responded to any emails.
Barton responded
Thunderbolt is new to me, even after googling "Glow plug adapter/gas-glow conversion/etc" any combination thereof, it did not come up as a hit.

but Ihave already contacted fujiman, and he has been very helpful. Excellent ratings, and he comes across as a honest seller, He posts lots of comments and genuinely likes to help. I will be giving him my business.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

I read about a 40 size gasser that operated like as glow engine. It is a new thing. The glow plug was ''special''. Anyone know anything about it. Can we get those glow plugs. It would be interesting to eliminate the spark plug on our larger stuff. Just so I don't consfuse anyone, I know about runining glow/gas mixtures, that is not what I mean.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...a-closer-look/
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

I read about a 40 size gasser that operated like as glow engine. It is a new thing. The glow plug was "special". Anyone know anything about it. Can we get those glow plugs. It would be interesting to eliminate the spark plug on our larger stuff. Just so I don't consfuse anyone, I know about runining glow/gas mixtures, that is not what I mean.

Here is the thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm
They say it runs like a champ Developes tons of power

Ken

Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
earlwb

The .40 gasser engine is a NV-Engines GX40 RC engine. It uses a OS P3 ultra hot glow plug. But the insides of the engine are not the same as the .40 glow engine. They changed things on the inside. Also the engine requires Klotz Benol for the oil, nothing else will work.  But the little engine does run like a champ, and is quite powerful too. I have one and I have been flying it a lot too.

http://www.nvengines.com/

I do not think that we could get another different engine to run this way, as the NV Engines GX40 uses a ceramic like coated cylinder that can handle higher engine temperatures and I think that is what it uses to take advantage of the situation, along with subtle porting and compression changes. Plus they have a carburetor calibrated for gasoline too.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Scota4570

I was interested in the glowplug, but using in a conversion or ready made gasser. Not so much interested in running a small engine this way. If one used a glow plug adapter to use this plug, what are the chances is would run well. Timing would be controlled by compression. Would the timing be too retarded to get any decent power on most gassers? I have an OPS 30 that I made a new head disk for a sparkplug. It is a fine engine. The head disk is easy to make. I could vary the compression to get the timing right. Would such an engine run at too low a temperature to keep the special Enya plug lit??
Old 07-24-2013, 05:03 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Norvel GX .40 uses an OS P3 Turbo type plug with the tapered seat. I am not sure about the Enya gas plug if it uses the same thread. A conversion insert may negate the effect of a tighter combustion chamber,  It may work with some experimenting.  I made a few heads with the tap, M8 x .75 thread, and a 60 degree tapered seat.  It is about 1,000 rpm better than a regular plug on a smaller glow motor.  Never tried with gasoline because glow fuel price is a pittance on .15's  and stuff I normally use.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and I checked on the Thunderbolt website, and the inserts are about $9.  Jeff of Thunderbolt is in our club and good to deal with for the gas stuff.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 AM
earlwb

Well the Enya gas engine is a bit of a mystery in that it uses a glow plug, but you have to use their special Enya oil mix with the gasoline. They sell a special Enya oil mix to mix with the gasoline for their gas engine. So I don't know if anyone tried to use anything else with the engines or not. They only sell them in Japan for their local market. So unless someone flew over to Japan and bought the engine and oil to bring back, we won't know much about it. I guess you would have to go by boat as the air lines will very likely refuse to let you carry the oil in your luggage onto the plane.

The use of the OS P3 Turbo plug in a gasoline engine is a a interesting idea. No one has done it yet. But it wouldn't be too difficult to make up a spark plug to turbo plug adapter to give it a try. Now there are some extra hot regular glow plugs that might work too. But it is hard to say. I don't know how hot of a heat range the OS P3 plug is in comparison to other glow plugs.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 AM
no_spamola

Kudos to Fujiman!!  Called him up and he was more than helpful to clarify some questions I had regarding these adapters. Very friendly fellow and patient with my questions. Had a good chat about engines in general: he is very knowledgable about engines. I ordered  adapters from him. Looking forward to trying them out.
Thanks Fujiman.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:11 PM
aero nut

Hangar 9 used to sell Zenoha gas to glow adapters for $7.99, I do not know if they still do! check them out