Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Spark Ignition on Nitro??

Old 08-14-2020, 06:18 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spark Ignition on Nitro??

Hey guys,
I've got a BME .90, wich is a Super Tigre 90 converted to gas. I've been having issues with the cheep China carb and think I'll run nitro through it for a while. I've got a glow carb and glow plug to throw on it. Will the spark ignition work with the glow fuel?? It's been modified with a gas conrod and roller bearings.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:23 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

First, I have never used gas so I am speaking only from memory of articles I have read on these forums. Second, my memory is not as good as it used to be.

With that said AFAIK, changing fuel and gas creates issues with rubber/elastic seals, gaskets and fuel system components. You could be creating more problems that it's worth.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:56 AM
Steve

Originally Posted by rgburrill
First, I have never used gas so I am speaking only from memory of articles I have read on these forums. Second, my memory is not as good as it used to be.

With that said AFAIK, changing fuel and gas creates issues with rubber/elastic seals, gaskets and fuel system components. You could be creating more problems that it's worth.
thanks rg, I think the engine is basically a glow engine still, with spark ignition and modified conrod. BME also added an addaptor for the Zama carb and tapped the case for pressure.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:53 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Find a Walbro carb with low and high needles small enough to work on your engine. Walbro/Zama 11mm carburetor list
Check out the venturi size starting here with the first letters before the number .https://web.archive.org/web/20050124...ro/family2.asp
Old 08-16-2020, 06:00 PM
Steve

Originally Posted by Tidnab
Find a Walbro carb with low and high needles small enough to work on your engine. Walbro/Zama 11mm carburetor list
Check out the venturi size starting here with the first letters before the number .https://web.archive.org/web/20050124...ro/family2.asp
Thanks Tidnab, I'll give them a looksee
Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 AM
jymz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep you can switch it back to glow fuel. Remove the gas carb and adapter and install the original style carb. Plug the crank case fitting. Probably want to advance the ignition sensor out to 32-34 degrees (should be at 28-30) to get the most out of the fuel. You will want to use a 0% nitro mix. Make sure to use after run oil or the connecting rod bearing will rust.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Steve

Originally Posted by jymz
Yep you can switch it back to glow fuel. Remove the gas carb and adapter and install the original style carb. Plug the crank case fitting. Probably want to advance the ignition sensor out to 32-34 degrees (should be at 28-30) to get the most out of the fuel. You will want to use a 0% nitro mix. Make sure to use after run oil or the connecting rod bearing will rust.
Thanks jymz!!
I went ahead and put a OS 55hz carb on it today. Fit great. I put a glow plug in it and had some 5% Byron fuel lying around. Put it on a test stand and it ran very well with a 14 x 8 prop. I flushed it with WD 40 afterwards. I need to pick up some after run. I think its basically trany fluid with some 3 in 1. I'll post some pics soon.