Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Glo to Gas conversion: how to get it right fast !

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Glo to Gas conversion: how to get it right fast !

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 03:52 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
I wonder what caused that... Excessive vibration? mounting under tension?

What type of plugcap was originally on that ignition, Arlyn? The old style with the two blobs of solder holding the halves together?
It was the bayonet type that required the spring. The replacement has the compression spring. So, at this point, who knows if the problem at the plug cap caused the problem near the ignition unit or what happened. The ignition unit itself is still firing. Glad that headache is off the work bench and back in the hanger.

With the new ignition the Saito 125 fired up easily and is happy again.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:51 PM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AA5BY
It was the bayonet type that required the spring. The replacement has the compression spring. So, at this point, who knows if the problem at the plug cap caused the problem near the ignition unit or what happened. The ignition unit itself is still firing. Glad that headache is off the work bench and back in the hanger.

With the new ignition the Saito 125 fired up easily and is happy again.
The Bayonet type was made in 2 versions. The early versions were soldered at the 90 degree joint in the cap (with two fairly large blobs of a special soldering material in the ones I had) and the later ones were laser-welde, very nice and clean looks.
I have had faillures with the soldered one (one due to a minor mishap, inverted engine and a nose over in landing causing the plugcap to catch in the grass, the other one due to vibrations. I could repair the one that failed due vibrations). But those repairs did not last "forever" so it got replaced and the repaired unit became my testbench-unit.

But whatever the cause, your Saito being happy again is the most important!

Last edited by 1967brutus; 02-11-2023 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:22 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Could be in the vicinity of the internal resistor. Adrian does offer connector replacements. He can also supply a full length lead so you could replace right back to the can. Providing there is enough surplus cable at the supply end.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:37 PM
Sokat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bert
Any chance of getting that solonoid kit Inc electronics?
Wouldn't mine paying for it Inc postage.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2023, 10:50 PM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by Sokat
Hi Bert
Any chance of getting that solonoid kit Inc electronics?
Wouldn't mine paying for it Inc postage.
Thanks
Well, I ain't planning on giving them away free of course, but yes, as it stands right now I should have a few sets availlable from mid May.
I first have to go to sea for a month or two and when I get back, I hope to have all parts availlable again.
For now I cannot say anything about prices, although I do not expect them to change too much.

Please have patience and remind me again mid May (my memory is not what it used to be )
Old 03-16-2023, 12:48 AM
Sokat

Hi Bert.
Yes of course not expecting it free.
Once have some made please put me in for one.
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:34 AM
1967brutus

Like I said, remind me mid May, because I'm not a business, I am just a private person doing this for zero profit and as a hobby. Therefore I do not "take orders" and do not keep a waiting list, for reason that that would lead to volumes I cannot handle.

That is also the reason why I have shared all information needed to fabricate this system, to at least "lighten my load" a bit
Old 03-16-2023, 01:59 AM
Rcplanedan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
that depends on the possible chain of events

Fully agree on the "allready broken, what's there to lose" part, but one has to keep in mind that a 50 or 75 bucks ignition system keeps a much more expensive aircraft up...
There are planes in my collection that for peace of mind's sake would just get a new ignition if the old one only so much as looked back at me the wrong way. Then there are those where a repaired ignition would not keep me wake at night
hi bert.
That definitely is some wording!
Just a couple of weeks ago my waco and radial fell out the sky,,all because of a damn $30 transmitter battery pack..

Thats $1400 au of a really cool plane ..so lost a plane
but recovered electronics and the engine was ok after getting wedged in the ground
Old 03-16-2023, 02:33 AM
1967brutus

Well, one could call it "extrapolated experience": Never lost an expensive plane that way, but the cheap ones that I lost helped me preventing to lose expensive ones...

Knock on wood...
Old 09-14-2023, 09:39 AM
jeanbat

Hello, great project, I'm interested to buy a valve support from you, in order to test it on my old asp 120. I already have the others items in stock.
Thank you
Old 09-14-2023, 09:57 AM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by jeanbat
Hello, great project, I'm interested to buy a valve support from you, in order to test it on my old asp 120. I already have the others items in stock.
Thank you
You mean, the aluminium housing for the Solenoid? No probs, but give me a few days, I expect to be home 18 or 19 September.

Are you one of the guys that contacted me via WhatsApp a week or so back?
Old 09-14-2023, 10:19 AM
jeanbat

No it's not me. No problem I can wait
Old 09-14-2023, 10:42 AM
1967brutus

Originally Posted by jeanbat
No it's not me. No problem I can wait
Try to get your postcount up to 10 or more, so you will be able to use the Personal Message function.
I will send you a PM in a few days and we can exchange the info to get you the item you need.