Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Engine Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
oslim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Conversions

What are the symptoms that indicate a 2-stroke engine has worn rings or cylinder bore? Can you use a pressure guage as on a 4-stroke? Can you feel a difference when pulling a rope starter? Does it show up mostly at start-up, idle, or high speed?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:04 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Engine Conversions

I usually keep up with the "FEEL" of my engines by rocking the crank back a forth between my fingers to feel of the bearings and the connecting rod, and then I swing the engine through a few compression strokes and make a personal comparison of the condition of the cylinder-piston. After you get used to this, you can pick up someone's engine and tell all about it's condition without even running it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 12-02-2004, 01:01 PM
oslim

I can definitely tell a difference with plug out ( little resistance, longer coast-down ) compared to plug installed, so I'll assume I have compression for now. Does low compression affect all running conditions equally ( starting, idle, WOT, transitions ) ?

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:03 PM
oslim

I can definitely tell a difference with plug out ( little resistance, longer coast-down ) compared to plug installed, so I'll assume I have compression for now. Does low compression affect all running conditions equally ( starting, idle, WOT, transitions ) ?

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 PM
oslim

Thank you.