Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

33cc homelite muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:23 PM
RCPULLINGTRACTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33cc homelite muffler

What are the mufflers that I see on alot of planes? They are like a box with two pipes on them. Do they increase horse power or are they just like a straight pipe? Is there a advantage to using this type of muffler?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 33cc homelite muffler

That's all they are...a box with two pipes. They don't muffle much at all. If you can use the stock muffler or modify the stock muffler it will be quieter.

Jim
Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 PM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of those boxes do muffle the noise if it is large enough and can increase performance
Old 12-24-2004, 12:08 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

I managed to take a Homelight leaf blower muffler & quieten down my 33cc to that equilivant to a large saito 4 stroke!!

4* 120 with a 33cc Homelight

The leaf blower muffler has 1 pipe (blowing into the prop when installed!) The "can" will come apart so I did that & rotated the outer side with the pipe to point to the ground. by doing this you will have to plug the old bolt holes on that side (small nut & bolt w/ some RTV) & use the ones on the other as a guide to drill new ones. Dont forget to re-install the roll pins on the inside that keep the muffler from crushing when you bolt it back on. I also went to Lowes & bought what I call "lamp tubes". The small threaded tubes used in mounting the shade fixtures on lamps. I drilled 2 more holes in the muffler beside the original & installed the lamp tubes using the nuts that come with them, one on the outside & one on the inside. Cut the end of the tubes at an angle to match the original tube, paint and you will have a very quiet muffler that dosent cut power. Not exactly the prettiest but definatly quiet. A fellow club member has a 4*120 just like mine w/ a Saito 150 & when we fly together you can hear his Saito over my 33 Homelight. I know that may be hard to believe but all I can saty is try it your self!!

Oh yea, since the muffler originally came off a 25cc you will have to take a Dremmel tool & widen the exhaust hole on it. The lengths are the same but the widths are slightly different. Bolt holes are no different.

One more tip. To make muffler (of anykind) mounting easer on the 33 & 45 cc Homeys. Save to original muffler bolt. Use a Die to make the threads longer & cut some of the bolt off to the length desired. If you have a muffler such as the B&B they are recessed for an Allen head bolt rather than a nut like you have on the 33 & 45. Since I have access to a milling machine I just make the recess big enough to accomidate a nut but if you dont have the tools use a small wheel collar as a washer to fit into the recesses area.

Good luck with what ever you do.

Happy Flying
Steve
Old 02-20-2005, 07:55 PM
gerryw

Speaking of mufflers for the 33 cc homey, is there a canister type. Is the canister tuned for a certain cc? Do they add power? Is there a formula for designing them? Please throw some information out there.