Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Broken Ring

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:52 PM
pcjohnson_ohio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Ring

I broke the ring on my Homelite 45cc conversion when trying to assemble the crankcase.
What's the best way to fit the new ring without breaking it
Any hints?
Its a refurb, should I bother to clean the crown of the piston, if so with what?

Thanks
Pete Johnson
Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Broken Ring

I will try to give you a answer. Place the new ring in cyl bore and make sure it is level by using the piston to push it in sleeve a short distance ..say 1/4 inch. Measure the end gap to see if it about right. You should be able to measure a few thousands of clearance in end gap. It most likely will be ok. You do not want it too tight. Clean piston with acetone using steel wool. Let it soak first to loosen carbon. You can clean piston ring groove with the old broken piston ring that was on piston. You may have to grind it square at the break to make it work right. Good Luck.....this is the best I can do. I sure there is ohers that can help also. Capt,n
Old 01-28-2005, 03:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy your ring here if you don't already have it.

Frank C Bowman
1211 N Allen Ave
Farmington, NM 87401-3568
505-327-0696

[email protected]

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-28-2005, 04:51 PM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

OK this is what you do, Go ahead and get you a ring from Mr. Bowman. Find a peace of ply-able plastic or even a metal coke can. Cut out a rectangle peace of the aluminum just enough to go around the piston one and 1/2 times same hieght. There'll be one end of the rap that will need to be butt against the cylinder opening with the piston in it, that end should be made so that it won't slide in with the piston. Find a screw adjustable hose clamp just the right size, put some type of lube on the piston and ring maybe some marvel mystry oil or even regular engine oil. Wrap the piston and ring inside the aluminum with the rough side on top, place the clamp on your rap and tighten it just enough th compress your ring, you should be able to turn the piston in the clamp but be sure it is compressed enough. You should be able to slip it in carefully applying force. Make sure that the rough edge does not score your piston pr ring. GOOD LUCK.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:23 PM
pcjohnson_ohio

To browng300

I did exactly that except used tape to hold the aluminum wrap and it slid right in, thanks
Homelite ring was $2, locally

Pete
Old 01-28-2005, 09:48 PM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

Cool glad it worked for ya.