Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Poulan 36 conversion possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Zafer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poulan 36 conversion possible?

Hi Guys,

I am not in to gassers. But I would like to give it a try. I have a chance to buy a chainsaw with a poulan 36 engine on it. Brand new. I would like to know if it is worth to convert? How much will additional parts cost? what is the work ? What will be the outcome?

Thank you for replies?

Regards.

Zafer.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:17 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Poulan 36 conversion possible?

I'm not that familiar with the 36cc poulan, but there have been plenty of 42 & 46cc poulan conversions done. The biggest single expense is the ignition system if you want to eliminate the flywheel. If you are keeping the stock ignition, I think you could likely get a muffler and prop hub for about $60 US.
Z
Old 01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

If you can get it for cheap, go for it. AFAIK, all the Poulan chainsaws 33 to 42cc are basically the same block and use the same crank. Parts are pretty much interchangeable. The 46cc is different.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:19 PM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Zafer,
You'll more than likely not be able to run stock ignition on the 36cc.
The magneto is not mounted to the engine, rather to the case of the saw. (at least wasn't to mine)

However, it a VERY easy conversion if you want to go with CH ignition system. Thus adding about $150-200 to your project.

They are powerful little motors though.

If you'd like to keep stock ignition, I would look at the Homelite brand....they have the mag bolted to the engine itself.

Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Old 01-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Zafer

Thanks for the answers guys,

Since it is brand new the engine is not so cheap it self ( 150 Dollars). Adding 200 Dollars more for inginition will bring it to a cost of a new gas engine made for the aircrafts. Himmmm. I should think again...... A second hand low cost engine will certainly cost less......

Making a conversion maybe is not that cheap, but will provide some experience and fun.... I really think about this.
Do you think 36 cc poulan will do the same work as 35cc say a roto or a MVVS does?

Thank you again

Regards.

Zafer