Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

changing from glow to gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:40 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing from glow to gas

Just bought a good used tartan twin and thinking of converting it to gas. Mainly for fuel economy reasons. It's a beautiful piece of machinery. Any thoughts, pro or con on this. How much power do you think it will lose on gas? Think it would be worth it power wise to modify compression and porting ? Any input appreciated. Thanks, red
Old 02-25-2005, 01:22 PM
cu. in.

Default RE: changing from glow to gas

The deep cylinder head fins on mine will not accept a standard 1/4-32 spark plug cap, but other than that, I think the engine is a good candidate for conversion. I am not sure, but Jim Cline may still be the importer. Check with him.

Bruce
Old 02-25-2005, 10:35 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two of these engines with chapman pipes. I have the ignition for one, just never put it on. Plan on putting one on a Midwest Extra. Jim Cline (http://www.billsroom.com/pcfs/) still sells the Tartan's and does custom work on them. Do you fly at the Seahawks field? My father was a member (used to live in the Cape but moved to N Fort Myers) for a while then came down with cancer. Doesn't have the interest anymore. Keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:38 AM
coralcape

Yes, BDTSR, I do fly at the seahawks field. We're up to 280+ members now. Facilities at field we're torn up in hurricane, but we're in good shape now.Expanding the field, and getting ready for the Meeting of the Giants in mid March. My engine has the head casting that looks like it could be drilled and tapped for standard plug. The plane I intend putting it on is a Lanier 1/4 extra. I have a G-23 on it now, but the tartan should roar)
Thanks all for inputs. red
Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Antique

Might think about using a 1/4 x 32 spark plug. Then solve the carburator problem and you could use glow or gas.